Poll

GoPros are:

GOOD
43 (76.8%)
BAD
13 (23.2%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: The Are GoPros GOOD or BAD poll  (Read 30253 times)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Are GoPros GOOD or BAD poll
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2015, 06:18:18 PM »
I've been working on an alternative of using a drone.
Louie's new tail mount has produced some good results.

SUP-rising

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2015, 07:01:02 AM »
I don't think GoPros aren't inherently bad. I mean, the technology is amazing and it's definitely where things are heading. For example: I envision the NFL 10 years from now, to have cameras mounted in helmets and streaming player's perspectives as part of the broadcast - not that I particularly, care.

That said, 95% of the current applications of GoPro cameras in the hands of enthusiasts elicit a big yawn from me. They're absolutely painful to watch. I also have a lot knee jerk reactions when I see someone fiddling with a Gopro. I automatically assume that the person is narcissitic, or that they'd prefer to geek out and fiddle with something as opposed to enjoy the activity. I wonder to myself how many moments they're missing by fiddling about trying to capture 'the' moment.

There are exceptions, though, and talents do emerge. SUPthecreek and David from Australia  come to mind. I enjoy what they do. When it's done well like that, I feel like it's really an unselfish service that they're performing and I'm grateful for their time. But they seem to be rare.  I feel like they're some of the few actually playing songs in a sea of noise, if you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:16:03 AM by Suppa Time »

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2015, 07:23:35 AM »
Great shots Beasho, great stoke spreading!  The last of the sequence, concentrated zen. 8) 8) 

supthecreek

« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2015, 03:16:57 PM »
Thanks Suppa Time, I appreciate your thoughtful remarks.

I am grateful for my GoPros.
They offer me a chance to show how a board works for me, in a variety of conditions.
People can then put the words and video together, to see if the reviewed board is something that may be relevant for them.

Words alone can be important... or meaningless.... the GoPro vids, act as an impartial interpreter.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2015, 04:00:59 PM »
".......actually playing songs in a sea of noise, if you know what I mean."
I like what you said, but really like that. Never heard that.
I also agree on your take of DJ and Creek........Beesho with a gopro comes to mind too as one whose shots I like seeing. Don't think I have seen headmount do gopro but maybe I missed something. Not in the selfie sense for sure. Oh wait, losing the hat and orange ball........ok, never mind. Him too but it never felt like "look at me". I am sure I have missed some, yes DailyBread......good stuff.
You mention fiddling with crap and missing out. I don't know how many of my kids events I pretty much missed as I was trying to capture it on "film" to......basically sit around and never watch again. I pulled off some decent shots here or there but really missed what was going on when doing that compared to when I just watched. Perhaps a better camera but darn sure a gopro would not have captured it.  I see it the good ones to watch are the ones that aren't capturing themselves or worried about capturing themselves so to say they are capturing the excitement and feeling I guess is how to say it. Go to a ski hill........simply amazing how many people running around looking like teletubbies and just doing laps. I guess if on vacation you want to capture the moment but is it even something worth watching?
Now, I could watch Louie, land or sea for quite a while.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2015, 02:34:55 PM »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2015, 04:26:11 PM »

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2015, 05:03:27 PM »
Music from Game of Thrones?

Yup, Season 4 I think.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

supthecreek

« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2015, 05:14:58 PM »
GoPro Wars.... battle axes at dawn!!! ;D

cantSUPenough

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2015, 07:54:57 AM »
I personally don't understand this discussion.  No one forces anyone to watch their GoPro video.  If I choose to record myself surfing, its my choice.  I am not a narcissist - I am a masochist because I know most people will think I am a twit for posting and then they'll see my crap surfing.  I like watching other people's videos so I hope someone will like mine.  I turn on the GoPro at the start of my surf and leave it on.  If I think something happened during my session that I want to share (with like-minded people) then I will spend my time editing it and posting it.

Don't like it?  Don't press play.
Sunova Flow 8'7" & Speed 8'8" + 8'10"
Deep Minion 7'10"
Naish 8'8" Hokua X32 and 14' Jav
And others...

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2015, 10:35:48 AM »
I've held back commenting on this. GoPros are a great tool, but they can make a tool out of you. I know. It's a line I have crossed more than a few times...

Here's what I think. Being someone who has been inspired by others in this forum to contribute to the banter, help others, start new threads, and general share the stoke, I feel adding a video now and then is just part of this, especially to illustrate a point of view or a topic. It's up to you whether you press play, and judging by the number of views to a thread vs hits on the video posted, a lot don't bother. Which is just fine. Yep, mine mostly suck in comparison to DJ's and the other pro-like video makers who post here, but their vids serve as the gold standard that we constantly aim for.

Those who have never posted a vid in this forum may be discouraged to do so after reading this thread. To them I say, watch DJ's Headmount's, Beasho's Creeks and others videos (not mine). Keep it short, edit the best you can, and don't be afraid to post. I am sure you can do it better than I have!
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2015, 12:32:14 PM »
Keep it short, edit the best you can, and don't be afraid to post. I am sure you can do it better than I have!

Amen to that!

When I see a video that is 7 or 10 minutes long I start to hunt for the good stuff.  Just the highlights please. 

HOWEVER - Off-Shore don't sell yourself short.  I filmed this yesterday with my girls and all I could think was "Will it SUP;D

Should I grab my paddle and see what I can do?  At the very least get on my 12 footer and see what else may be lurking on the periphery  :o

https://vimeo.com/128621050/settings
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:37:57 PM by Beasho »

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2015, 06:52:05 PM »

I filmed this yesterday with my girls and all I could think was "Will it SUP;D

Should I grab my paddle and see what I can do?  At the very least get on my 12 footer and see what else may be lurking on the periphery  :o

Beasho. Haha. Our kids are similar ages, and every time we go to the beach, they set off looking for fish boxes and whatever they can paddle. They would have been egging me on to jump on top of that for a shot at least.. A mini-iceberg yes, but not a beached whale.. A picture of anyone on a dead whale with a paddle in their hand online would not doubt get mixed up with those pictures of people with elephants the've shot in Africa... Good choice to leave it alone.  :)
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

supthecreek

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2015, 04:31:47 AM »
Don't like it?  Don't press play.
I guess that pretty much sums it up.

...... Being someone who has been inspired by others in this forum to contribute to the banter, help others, start new threads, and general share the stoke, I feel adding a video now and then is just part of this, especially to illustrate a point of view or a topic. It's up to you whether you press play, and judging by the number of views to a thread vs hits on the video posted, a lot don't bother. Which is just fine........
Your harbor video comes to mind as an entertaining video. Will it SUP is great too as Beasho pointed out. I can't remember many others you have posted off the top of my head tho I can't remember lots of others specifically either. Lots of good and entertaining things made by and posted by many people here and along with that, as with anything will come lots of so so stuff.

I think there is a line somewhere where it crosses from "look at this" to "LOOK AT ME" and I am certain someone explained that somewhere else in here somehow, better than that. I also think everyone watching knows when it passes that line. 

Take us with you, show us how, show us something cool or unique. This place also inspired me to make stuff and start carrying a camera and become more interested in photography/videos and all it has to offer.  That was something I had never a thought of before I started watching stuff here. I think in the end gopros are good but there is still some dumb stuff out there, (and honestly, not much at this place tho) and people doing dumb things because of them.
Along with you I also hope this thread doesn't keep people from making stuff and posting it. Worst thing that can happen is people won't watch or people won't like it and like you said.........so what.
Somewhere out there is a master editor and they don't even know it. The world is a giant Schwabs Drug Store.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 04:58:06 AM by lucabrasi »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal