Poll

GoPros are:

GOOD
43 (76.8%)
BAD
13 (23.2%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: The Are GoPros GOOD or BAD poll  (Read 30255 times)

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Are GoPros GOOD or BAD poll
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 09:21:46 AM »
Yeah creek I like that lake shot! Makes me want to paddle there. Is that a mouthie or chestie shot? Would be cool if you could get a drone shot of that place as well to get a next level perspective.

DailyBread's shot looks like it could have been a drone shot. Nice!

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 09:28:05 AM »
I'm reluctant to post this video because it was not meant for public consumption but here goes...the zone is family anyway.

GOOD - there's a lady holding the paddle, wearing a bikini and surfing, the surf spots are good too, tandem surfers at 1:20
BAD - the video is too long
UGLY - the dudes in the video
MAYBE - the music

https://youtu.be/xXLp7zH76f4?t=5m10s
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:30:57 AM by SaMoSUP »

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 09:47:05 AM »
I don't have one, but am a fan for all the reasons people have mentioned.  There are the occasional narcissistic tools out there with them, but for the most part people are either using them to check their technique, or to share what they're doing with others.   I love the ones posted here and appreciate the efforts people take to create them. People used to make fun in the '60s of the folks who'd invite you over for dinner, then make you sit through their 1,500-slide show of their family reunion--legitimate complaint, but not a criticism of cameras.  I actually used to love slide shows, anyway.

I do have some sympathy for the arguments against them, but they don't apply to the majority of users.  It's funny, when they first came out, the arguments focused on jerks thinking that having a GoPro gave them right-of-way over everyone else ("Watch out, I'm filming myself!") or on privacy ("I don't want a camera in the lineup").  I never hear those anymore. 

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 09:57:17 AM »
beached asks innocently:
Q-"why is expressing an opinion instantly a matter of 'hatred' these days?"

your opinion as stated (the part you conveniently left out):
"i'm beginning to think no one has enough brain capacity out there anymore to actually remember what they did, so they have to record it, regardless of how dull it may be."

A- because you basically said that every Zoner that posts a video is a moron.

i know i should let it go, but ...guess i also don't have the brain capacity. that comment is hardly accusing every Zoner of being a moron. i 'conveniently'  left that out of my subsequent posts the way you conveniently left out the rest of my original post, including the part that admitted i was ranting.  in summation: i dislike selfie-style Go Pro videos.   

supthecreek

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 10:01:14 AM »
Ha ha... you're as bad as I am  ;D ;D ;D

let's arm wrestle and settle this thing  ;)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 10:31:41 AM »
I wonder if I'm the only one who immediately thought of Ted Bundy when the GoPro issue came up. 

I'm reading a book about him.  It's amazing how long he evaded capture or even identification.  I remember it all well, growing up in Seattle then, especially the Lake Sammamish murders, when the first description (artist's sketch) finally became available after a woman evaded him--months or years after he started killing.  Today, he would have appeared in the backgrounds of dozens of GoPro and cellphone videos and photos, just on that one day at that park--not to mention on hundreds of security and traffic camera videos in the months before that.  GoPros and other ubiquitous cameras create some privacy problems, but solve others, and have changed the world.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 10:38:36 AM »
Yes, cheap n'easy way to make my point  ;) but sounds like we agree

It's not the Go Pro that's putting out the selfies, it's the narcissists who are framing the shots.
I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to bring up the old, "GoPros don't take selfies, people do" argument.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 10:57:12 AM »
love go pro's pics and vids of sup.......made by others. and I appreciate their efforts, just dont have time and focus to do myself....so far.

big proponent of body cams for cops. if all the a police encounter know they're being recorded, all, incl the cops, behave better.

some say that, on camera, cops cant use discretion in a good way--ie give a driver a warning where they might have otherwise ticketed--but tickets have become such a revenue source for localities, and cops are under so much pressure to get revenues, that "warnings" and kind discetion is a thing of the past, but for very rare exceptions.

how's that for a windy non sequitur?!?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 12:33:29 PM »
Here's a shot I got from yesterdays session in Lahaina.  I surfed for abit, then broke out the 'megapole' with gopro mounted on the end.

Thanks!!  I love that shot.  Sent it to my surfing daughters, what a cool and stoke provoking picture.

It's not the Go Pro that's putting out the selfies, it's the narcissists who are framing the shots.
I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to bring up the old, "GoPros don't take selfies, people do" argument.

That made me piss my pants, you are an artist on the zone pdx.

I'm reluctant to post this video because it was not meant for public consumption but here goes...the zone is family anyway

Why did you hold back on us, that was great to visit with your crew.  I would love to know where the point break party spot was but wouldn't want to expose the secret.  And don't take this wrong but a short edit of the ripper on the blue sup could easily be posted to another well know thread 8)

supthecreek

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2015, 04:18:39 PM »
SaMo... that was a really fun video... all about the stoke! Very cool you have the whole crew surfing with you.
post more of your vids.... everybody... post your vids.
and I want to schedule a lesson with the lead SUPster in the vid please ;)

also, that was not a lake... salt water river to Pleasant Bay on Cape Cod, just after a snowstorm.
I was wearing a head strap mount over my wetsuit hood.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2015, 04:43:16 PM »
how  do  I  vote good  for  daily  bread  gopros ?

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2015, 04:55:30 PM »
See creek if you had a drone I could have seen it was a river. So much visuals we don't get to see even with all these cameras. I forgot about the headmount, that's a MAYBE on the poll.

I'd gladly hook you up for lessons with the lead SUPster but good luck with her schedule. I usually just get a random booty surf call and then we roll.

One day I'll cut a video with cameras on board mount, chestie, mouthie, head mount, paddle mount, drone, and soloshot (Zooport can I borrow yours?) all in the same session. That would be sweet except the subject matter would look like a robot in the water.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 05:02:36 PM by SaMoSUP »

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2015, 05:11:39 PM »
Creek, Bread and DJ are GoPro Gods.  Keep at it ! 
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2015, 05:49:04 PM »
I wonder if I'm the only one who immediately thought of Ted Bundy when the GoPro issue came up. 

I'm reading a book about him.  It's amazing how long he evaded capture or even identification.  I remember it all well, growing up in Seattle then, especially the Lake Sammamish murders, when the first description (artist's sketch) finally became available after a woman evaded him--months or years after he started killing.  Today, he would have appeared in the backgrounds of dozens of GoPro and cellphone videos and photos, just on that one day at that park--not to mention on hundreds of security and traffic camera videos in the months before that.  GoPros and other ubiquitous cameras create some privacy problems, but solve others, and have changed the world.

Mike, read The Circle. Modern day version of 1984.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2015, 06:51:07 PM »

Mike, read The Circle. Modern day version of 1984.
Will check it out--looked interesting on a couple reviews I just read.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal