Author Topic: What do you think of the new C4 Waterman Micky Muñoz Mongoose Speed 12'6?  (Read 5881 times)

corrego

• Malibu Status
  • Ni pena ni miedo
    • View Profile
    • Email
Very diferent desing compared to current raceboards trends. Any insight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdmELTlzTPQ

https://www.c4waterman.com/BoardDetails.aspx?id=42

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Great to see C4 again, and great also that Munoz is shaping for them. But this board is a bit of a niche item. Too narrow to be a coastal cruiser IMO, and its planing nose will never compete with a displacement one in flat water. If it was 28" wide they would probably sell a few to people who just want an all-round coastal board. I might even buy one. But it even looks a bit tippy with the pro on it in flat water. But maybe as a niche BOP board it might work, although you'd have to be just coming straight in and out of the surf I'd think. But I guess you never know til you try one.

If I was buying a C4 right now I'd be asking lots of Qs about the construction. When they moved construction from Boardworks I'm not sure things always went to plan. But maybe my experience was atypical...

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ooooh I like the looks of it.  Something different.  It looks like a fun, advanced coastal cruising board that would pick up waves and downwind well. 

I'm (hopefully) picking up a Focus Bluefin in May which shares the non-displacement nose idea.  Pretty much for the same reason, a coastal touring/surfing/DW board that is fast enough to race. 
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
I really like the low profile nose - much less windage.  Very cool design.  Mickey has been into SUP from the start and has always come through with innovative designs in surfing, paddling & sailing by cross-channleing his ideas across these disciplines.  I can't wait to see him racing it and beating guys a fraction of his age!
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

corrego

• Malibu Status
  • Ni pena ni miedo
    • View Profile
    • Email
I do 60% flat water and 40% coastal ocean.

I want a surfy reco board. Here in chile I can get few brands: starboard, Nash, bic and sic

I can not test. Only order from catalog and wait for container. I am a medium to advance paddler.

Recommendations?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cool design. Micky is a little guy. Like 5'4 ish and about 120 lbs I'm guessing. He could probably paddle a 22" wide board so 26" is definitely a touring width for him. Maybe a good youth racing board too.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
It's the opposite of the 'boof-nose'  concept.  In the video, it's only shown in dead-flat water, and surf.  Can't imagine it would do well going into chop. 
Every wave would break over the bow, you'd be standing underwater half the time?
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Actually a low profile or penetrating nose can have the great quality of porpoise-ing through the water.  Add in foot steering dynamics and you can really drive through chop in a way that the boof nose cannot.  This board doesnt look to be much in the foot steering category, by which I mean nose steering.  This one looks more like a rail rider, which is a fun way to ride up and over swell too.  It will be interesting to see if this board takes off.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can't imagine it would do well going into chop. 
Every wave would break over the bow, you'd be standing underwater half the time?
That's the way I designed my new unlimited. I am standing in water half the time, but it knifes through the chop and swell like butter. No windage (on an unlimited), and no push back at all. I never get pitched, because the nose goes under and surfaces without a twist or grab. Just smooth paddling. The tail is a sharp pin as well, so it buries and adds to the leveling quality. Sometimes my feet will be be 3 inches under water, but the board just continues to glide. I think Mickey's ahead of the curve, and I'm not sold of the boof noses. I think they work, but I don't see them staying on the leader board. No matter what Kai and Conner paddle, they will be fast.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I was out a little downwinder the other day with a friend on a prototype very similar concept to that mongoose speed. 26’ wide and ultra low profile nose. It’s just one unedited snippet of our 21 miles (and poor sound edit at end - sorry, just rough cut, I was going to redo it) but you get to see well how the board works. His is fast! (He’s even faster).

https://youtu.be/du14Tmpa5N8

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal