Author Topic: Advice on a new isup  (Read 5906 times)

MFitz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Advice on a new isup
« on: March 30, 2015, 05:50:26 AM »
I am looking to add an inflatable or my daughter (11 yrs old, 4’9” 75lbs?) and wife (5’4”, 125lbs), mostly for flatwater lakes and bays, no surfing or open water.  I paddle a Boardworks Raven 12’6” and I am 175 lbs, fairly fit, and I paddle far more than either of them likely will.  The inflatable is appealing to me because it will be easier to store, transport, more durable, etc.  While neither of them will be paddling aggressively or racing, I am hoping a more efficient board will make it easier for them to keep up.  What size/ design would you recommend for them?  Both can paddle my board without any real balance problems. 

Now, complicating the decision is another factor.  I have begun taking my board on longer distance downriver trips, sometimes in areas where rocks and shallow depths have me worried about getting dings and damage to my hard board.  No serious whitewater, but fast moving flatwater, class 1.  Is there a board that might work for them (1st priority) and for me (occasionally)?  If it were just for me, I would probably look at a 12’6 board something like the Naish One, similarly shaped to my Raven.  Is a 12’6, 30” wide board too much for my daughter?  She probably won’t be paddling in tough conditions.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on a new isup
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 05:57:01 AM »
I would HIGHLY recomend the Fanatic FlyAIR 10Ft PREMIUM The 2014 are on sale at a KILLER PRICE.
* Double thickness for durability
* takes High preasure
* Nice all around shape
Wife and kids will love it and you can use it in whitewater (w/o extra wide plane shape)

Contact me directly for special ZONER price jim@extremewindsurfing.com

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 06:08:21 AM »
MFitz - Welcome to the Zone! I have an 11 year old son, and 2 other younger kids who I paddle with on iSUPs. The main issue with kids is width of the board vs the length. Too wide and they can't paddle properly, and so the wider you go the more difficult it will be for the kids, unless they stand up near the front where the board is less wide. Also if it is too long, they will find it hard in any cross chop or wind.

My son, paddles a RedPaddle 10-6 Max Race iSUP which is 10'6" long and 24" wide (and I can just about paddle it in the flat at 180lbs - just) and this is a fast board that he can "keep up" with Dad (sort of). He is also happy on my RedPaddle 9'6" which is around 30" wide and would be suitable for your wife, but this is not a "keep up" type of board..

For recreational paddling, RedPaddle make a 9'4" Snapper which is 27" wide which would be perfect for your daughter, but maybe too small for your wife, so you could go for the 9'8" which 31" wide, and you also would be able to river paddle. But not "keep up" boards..

If money no object, (which of course it always is), if you want "keep up with Dad" iSUPs, I'd buy a 10-6 Max Race for your daughter, and a 12-6 Race Elite (26" wide) for your wife.  Neither suitable for whitewater, so for you, a 9'6" Flow for the river... Compromise, compromise... so Jim's offer above might be the best option!  :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 06:11:21 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 06:26:00 AM »
Agree width is the Issue on Isups for Kids..

Perhaps the C4 Crossover...

Recommended For:

This board was built based on the success of our Crossover hard board. It is designed for cruising, touring and single fin surfing in the ocean and on traveling calm rivers and lakes inland. It is ideal for beginner, intermediate and advanced riders weighing 150, 195, and 215,respectively.

Aspiring Waterman - 150 lbs.

Journeyman Waterman - 195 lbs.

Advanced Waterman - 215 lbs.

The Crossover 11'0

Length: 10' 11" (332.74cm)
Width: 29.50" (74.93cm)
Thick: 6.00" (15.24cm)
Weight: 25.00 (11.36kg)*
Vol: 52.84 Gal. (200.00L)
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

MFitz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 05:52:52 PM »
I would HIGHLY recomend the Fanatic FlyAIR 10Ft PREMIUM The 2014 are on sale at a KILLER PRICE.
* takes High preasure
* Nice all around shape
Wife and kids will love it and you can use it in whitewater (w/o extra wide plane shape)

JimK

Jim-

Thanks for the response and advice.  I assume the 2014 has the same shape as the 2015 Fly Air Premium Allround, 10' x 33", 4.5" thick?  Do you think that would be a better shape than their Fly Air Touring, 11" x 32", 6" thick? 

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 07:22:59 PM »
Check out Red Paddle Co boards, followed by ULI boards.  Reds aren't that prevalent in the US, but they're great boards with excellent reviews.  I just bought a 2014 Surfer 10', which can be used on flatwater.  Greenwatersports.com and airkayaks.com both have some great deals on 2014 models.  Don't go too big and get the 10'6 just because it's their most popular model.  The new 9'8" Ride might work for you, as well as the Surfer.
By the way, the Surfer was not difficult to pump up to the recommended psi!

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 10:26:52 AM »
Just picked up the new 2015 Red 11' Sport, it's an awesome board and probably perfect for what you're looking for.  I've paddled your Raven and speed wise they're going to be surprisingly close.  And at 30"+ wide and 4.75" in thickness, the stability is excellent.

There's also the new 2015 Red 9'8" Ride at 31"+ and 4" thick, which your wife and daughter might enjoy even more.  Maybe not as quick, but the reduced thickness and volume would probably suit them better.

The shape, rocker and build quality are really impressive and the battens do make a big difference.  The only downside is at 25lbs, it's not as light as other iSups.  Nice reviews at the sites mentioned above, although one is clearly the winner.

Lastly, there are the new 2015 11'6" and 12'6" Astro Touring Zens from Starboard.  As a previous owner of a 1st gen 12'6" Astro Touring, the rocker profile of these new boards is a vast improvement over the original.  The quality was and still should be top notch and the price point has actually dropped, a true shocker from Starboard.  These boards are noticeably lighter then the Reds; but I still like my Red better:)

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 02:57:00 PM »
ULI has been selling off their demos to make way for the next generation with new graphics & designs.  I think there's a 10' Steamroller model with the Wiki Rail which is available for about 50% off retail and comes with a pump & patch kit. 

ULIs were the first to build production inflatable surfboards and stand up paddleboards and for years were the only choice.  Today they are all made in the USA and they sell a lot of boards to Japan & Australia.  ULI boards are double-skinned and are built with a tri-seal seam for durability which also allows the boards to handle higher pressures. ULI’s integrated Kevlar Tech Performance stiffening system is extremely rigid and provides a quicker rebound from flex so they feel more like a hard board.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 08:23:34 PM »
The magical do it all board. Many have chimed in with their suggestions. 10'6" Max, 9'8" Ride, 9'6" Flow, 9'4" Snapper, and others. How about the 9'2" Surf Star? Not as bulky as the Flow for your kid/wife but a little more heavy duty than the Snapper for you.

http://greenwatersports.com/shop/red-paddle-co-9-2-surf-star

Yes, we have the 2014 10' Surfer on sale, $959. It might be a good place to start. Smallish and suitable for them but still stable for you.

http://greenwatersports.com/shop/red-paddle-co-10-surfer

Money no object: 10'6" Max and a 12'6" Race (at 28" wide it's a little more stable than the Elite for your white water excursions) + a back up fin.

http://greenwatersports.com/shop/red-paddle-co-10-6-max-race
http://greenwatersports.com/shop/red-paddle-co-12-6-race

They all ship with Titan pump (except the 2014 board).

I am looking to add an inflatable or my daughter (11 yrs old, 4’9” 75lbs?) and wife (5’4”, 125lbs), mostly for flatwater lakes and bays, no surfing or open water.  I paddle a Boardworks Raven 12’6” and I am 175 lbs, fairly fit, and I paddle far more than either of them likely will.  The inflatable is appealing to me because it will be easier to store, transport, more durable, etc.  While neither of them will be paddling aggressively or racing, I am hoping a more efficient board will make it easier for them to keep up.  What size/ design would you recommend for them?  Both can paddle my board without any real balance problems. 

Now, complicating the decision is another factor.  I have begun taking my board on longer distance downriver trips, sometimes in areas where rocks and shallow depths have me worried about getting dings and damage to my hard board.  No serious whitewater, but fast moving flatwater, class 1.  Is there a board that might work for them (1st priority) and for me (occasionally)?  If it were just for me, I would probably look at a 12’6 board something like the Naish One, similarly shaped to my Raven.  Is a 12’6, 30” wide board too much for my daughter?  She probably won’t be paddling in tough conditions.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 08:27:22 AM »
Where do you live?

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 08:49:49 AM »
* takes High preasure
* Nice all around shape

JimK
Hi Jim, sending you a pm. Looking for the 12' version of that board with a mast insert.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 02:21:23 PM »
* takes High preasure
* Nice all around shape
JimK
Hi Jim, sending you a pm. Looking for the 12' version of that board with a mast insert.

:)  :)  :)  :) Awesome. Thank you Jim.  :)  :)  :)  :)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard