Author Topic: Sus and SUP snorkel On Barbados  (Read 3250 times)

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sus and SUP snorkel On Barbados
« on: March 29, 2015, 06:38:24 PM »
Been out cruising around Carlisle Bay with my 9 yr  old boy and jumping off to snorkel when we see a turtle.  Amazing to see the boy understand how awesome the ocean is.
Later went SUSing at Freights,  and stayed away from the 15 others out.  Half of them were beginners.  Caught a ton of waist to shoulder high waves.  Haven't had so much fun in years.  It was 40 years ago I surfed real waves. It was easy compared to the madness I've been practicing on in Sweden. Glassy, glacial period and lefts for my goofy stance.
I'm normally kitesurfing,  but this was more fun...

supthecreek

Re: Sus and SUP snorkel On Barbados
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 07:38:40 PM »
sounds awesome... glad your son enjoyed it... nothing better!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 09:27:37 PM »
Glad your feeling the stoke again. What a great place and time to hang with your son. He'll remember it forever :)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 04:44:31 AM »
Sounds like fun session both in and on the water..I remember when nobody surfed Freights and everybody was at South Poiint.  Now with all these surf schools in Barbados, Freights is the spot for beginners and an absolute zoo.  That can be a perfect, perfect wave when it's on.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 05:21:50 PM »
Was out at freights again today. No sus except me, so I'm moving around and staying away from the proners.  3-4 guys really good,  some kids and a bunch of beginners.  Went out towards the cliffs when I saw no one out there, but then they followed me out when I caught some waves. Being only sus, I'm trying to keep low profile.
Kiting tomorrow,  and will try south point asap. A local told me it's OK there for an old boy.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 08:47:49 PM »
Glad you had some fun at Freights....South Point is fun with plenty of reef breaks to choose from.  One of my favorite SUS spots is Brandon's, across the street and down the hill from the Garisson Savannah horse track. Really good and consistent break.  I was there last month and caught it great for two days and only me and 2 cool proners out.  If you have transportation be sure to check it out, especially in the early morning before the trade winds kick in and it's sheer glass.

Also check in with Jason and Sarah from Paddle Barbados in  Carlysle Bay..cool couple nice operation and selection of SUPs..they'll tell you where it's breaking and tell you some of the better spots

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 05:41:02 PM »
Hi Caribsurf, 
Brandons is north of Bridgetown Harbor. Waves there??
I reconned south point this morning,  but despite light winds, it looked pretty messy and confused.  No one out. About 6-8 of us at freights,  so it was OK.

It's pretty amazing to be surfing,  and look down into water when paddling out and see a 1m long turtle underneath.  I guess people here are used to it, but not me. I didn't see this amount of sea life even in California in 70's.

I'm actually hoping  wind now, want to go kitesurfing. 

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 07:18:23 PM »
Brandon's is SOUTH of Bridgetown.  It's just down the beach from the Hilton hotel at Needham's Point. Ask any Bajan and they will point you in the right direction.  It's a very consistent break.    It's on the main road directly across the street and down the hill from the horse race track. Hard to miss  close to the Marriott Courtyard hotel if that helps.   
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal