Author Topic: Newport RI advice  (Read 3558 times)

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Newport RI advice
« on: March 29, 2015, 06:24:46 PM »
I will be in Newport this coming Friday and for now, it actually looks to be warm with 4-6ft waves.  SSW swell / SW wind.   I have never paddle surfed Newport.  Usually south county RI or Cape Cod.   If the wind is up I will windsurf or windsup,  and have a pretty good comfort level sailing.  For SUP paddling,  I'm a novice by comparison.   Was wondering if there are any places that are smaller surf or easier if conditions are big.   
   Matunuck is my normal go-to in South county. If Block island buoy is over 8ft, I usually wimp out and go inside the PJ jetty.  Staying at hotel right on first beach,  so I figure I would check out first and second beach.    Any advice is appreciated.

JP

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Newport RI advice
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 06:28:22 AM »
I'm no expert on other breaks nearby but I surf 1st often and 2nd occasionally. 2nd has more SW exposure but neither is optimal in SW winds. Fridays forecast is looking kind of tough for either.....you'll take a pounding getting out through the shorebreak. Maybe throw a sail on and launch from 3rd beach and sail around Sachuest Point?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:31:38 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 02:48:05 PM »
40 MPH gusts? Forget about it.
Bunch of old shit

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 03:59:31 PM »
Yes,  I see the forecast going in the direction of actual windsurfing and staying SW thru saturday.   Will figure out what to bring with me right before I leave.   Second beach looks really good to sup-sail in a NW wind for side off.   Was really hoping to try that with the original forecast going NW on Friday.   I try to save my paddling for light wind days less than 10mph, but switch between the sail and paddle sometimes just for practice.  Or to torture myself.   

Thx for the advice,  Jay     

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 04:46:50 PM »
I would PM JBird. He loves playing tour guide in Rhodey.  ;D ;D ;D.

only kidding.
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 12:01:04 PM »
Stoneaxe,   was looking at some charts of the 3rd beach area.   Think any waves would wrap around to the north side of the beach (peabody's)  if it's huge surf ?  Can you tell i'm itching to get out ?

JP

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 12:14:05 PM »
JP, I've never seen any surf at 3rd beach. Saturday looking real good for 1st early in the am !!!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 12:47:51 PM »
Third beach might break in a monster hurricane or extinction asteroid splash; otherwise not so much!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:51:44 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 01:37:34 PM »
SSW swell direction is asking for the impossible at 3rd I guess.   Maybe fri am might be windsurfable for me at 2nd before it gets too big.   I don't know how forecasts usually pan out for the Newport beaches,   but 7-8ft swell prediction ends up being higher at south county or outer cape cod.   Out of my league for now.    BI buoy report is where i usually check to see what's there.

JP

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 05:04:33 PM »
Season opener for me on Friday.   My wife had a massage booked at 11,  so I checked out 1st beach ...  looked kind of choppy,  side-side-on at 8mph.   Second beach was almost dead onshore at 11mph,  the surfing didn't look great.   Back to 1st beach rigged a 5.7 sail and Sealion.   Gingerly coasted out a walking speed,  made it over most of the waves,  4-6ft not bad I could have paddled it I think.   Gybed,  caught a big wave outside,  great ride all the way in .   Repeat again,  hey this is kind of easy and nice.   3rd time out I get crushed by an outside wave and no wind.   Got worked all the way in for about 15 minutes.   Took a 20min break to regain my composure.   Few more runs in and out,  quite nice but wind was dying.   All in all about 45 min on the water.   Conditions looked good at 2nd later in the afternoon,   snapped a few shots.  Wasn't a water sports mission,  so I was pretty happy to get out for a bit.
  This one of you guys ? (from Sat when it started raining a bit)
   Sat am was pretty big.  Wife and I watched some good action at 2nd beach and Ruggles.   Some waves close to double overhead.

CHeers
Jay 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal