Author Topic: Does Benadryl Mess Up Your Balance?  (Read 7125 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Does Benadryl Mess Up Your Balance?
« on: March 28, 2015, 12:47:35 PM »
Allergy season is upon us, and I often take a Benadryl at night to clear up allergies that night and it seems to work for all the next day.  However, I am noticing that every night I do this, my balance is off the next day.  Falling over more often when I SUP.  Has anyone else noticed this?

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 01:06:20 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Does Benadryl Mess Up Your Ballance?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 01:02:16 PM »
My girlfriend used to take it,
until we noticed it messed up her balance.
She's not a SUPper, but we noticed it.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Does Benadryl Mess Up Your Balance?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 01:30:08 PM »
Lots of things can screw up the vestibular system--it's very delicate--but you can also hose your balance system at the processing system--the brain. The whole thing is very mechanical and reminds me of drone tech. Vision, muscle input, touch, and kinesthetic senses all combine. Screw with any one and your balance gets compromised. I haven't experienced anything with Benadryl, but several medicines have hosed my already-compromised balance, including beer.

Yes, beer is a medicine.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

sterbo

• Malibu Status
  • sailordog...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 02:53:08 PM »
Not necessarily, but yes, it absolutely can.
Additionally, it can really mess you up in general. I say that because, when I've used it in the past when I thought it might help, it always made me feel like shit. There was only one time I kept taking it because the severity of the allergy suffering was so severe I simply sucked it up and dealt with the Benadryl side effects.
Subsequently, I searched for a better means to deal with those kinds of situations. I started taking 1 to 2 grams of  Vitamin C every day. That was 30 some odd years ago. Haven't suffered from hay fever / allergies since. While Vit C suffers much controversy, I swear by it. B, like so many things, everybody responds differently to that which we ingest - food, drugs, whatever.
An important note. If you take Vit C make sure you get it from a manufacturer that produces it as organically as possible and - Time Released. If you take straight C, you'll simply piss it out in an hour or so and it'll no longer be of any benefit.
Lastly, look at your overall diet.
Good diet & enough consistent exercise are two underrated and under utilized incredibly great solutions to much of what ails us all.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 03:21:11 PM »
Definitely.  That stuff makes me feel way cracked out.

Try one of the newer drugs if you haven't yet, like Claritin (loratidine) or Allegra.  Those work for me without any "noticeable" side effects. 
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 04:59:47 PM »
Taking a spoonful of Local Raw Honey is a good long term solution.  I started this practice about 20 years ago.  I have had very few problems since.  I've lived in Marin County with lots of acacia and eucalyptus trees, Montana and now Huntington Beach.  I actually carried a handkerchief most of the winter. 
Mother's Market carries a good supply of local honey.  Whole Foods and Sprouts don't usually carry local honey.

sterbo

• Malibu Status
  • sailordog...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 05:06:25 PM »
Taking a spoonful of Local Raw Honey is a good long term solution.  I started this practice about 20 years ago.  I have had very few problems since.  I've lived in Marin County with lots of acacia and eucalyptus trees, Montana and now Huntington Beach.  I actually carried a handkerchief most of the winter. 
Mother's Market carries a good supply of local honey.  Whole Foods and Sprouts don't usually carry local honey.
Agreed.
Go to Driver's Market in Sausalito. Talk about and get the purest and the best...

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 09:25:56 PM »
Lots of things can screw up the vestibular system--it's very delicate--but you can also hose your balance system at the processing system--the brain. The whole thing is very mechanical and reminds me of drone tech. Vision, muscle input, touch, and kinesthetic senses all combine. Screw with any one and your balance gets compromised. I haven't experienced anything with Benadryl, but several medicines have hosed my already-compromised balance, including beer.

Yes, beer is a medicine.

Hmmm, now I think I see the problem.  I often used to wash down the Benadryl with a beer.  No kidding.   ???
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 10:05:32 PM »
I take it every night  to sleep.  getting from my knees to  my feet is tough  on a board.   but once up it  doesn't bother me  but I am kinda a mess any way. 
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 10:36:02 PM »
On the rare occasion that I take any allergy medicine, I take Claratin.

I love honey, and it's local or nothing as far as I'm concerned. I really liked raising bees and I'll probably set up some hives at my shop this year. I'm going to look at the new design that came out of Australia that enables gravity extraction without opening the hive. The idea of simply opening a tap to get the amount of honey you want is just spectacular. One of the major problems with normal methods is the feast and famine aspect. You wind up with ten gallons of honey and no desire to do anything commercial. My friends profited from my beekeeping, but like every husbandry effort, there are expenses. Raising your own bees is probably the best way to pay about twenty bucks a pint for it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 10:51:48 PM »
If you suffer from hay fever, I could actually envisage that benadryl might help your balance by keeping you from spouting histamines in your sinuses.  Stuffy sinuses can impede the eustachian tubes and would most certainly affect the middle ear.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

BetterIwas

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 02:17:32 AM »

Here is the new flow beehive - funding request rather sucessful

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flow-hive-honey-on-tap-directly-from-your-beehive

sterbo

• Malibu Status
  • sailordog...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 02:34:54 PM »
On the rare occasion that I take any allergy medicine, I take Claratin.

I love honey, and it's local or nothing as far as I'm concerned. I really liked raising bees and I'll probably set up some hives at my shop this year. I'm going to look at the new design that came out of Australia that enables gravity extraction without opening the hive. The idea of simply opening a tap to get the amount of honey you want is just spectacular. One of the major problems with normal methods is the feast and famine aspect. You wind up with ten gallons of honey and no desire to do anything commercial. My friends profited from my beekeeping, but like every husbandry effort, there are expenses. Raising your own bees is probably the best way to pay about twenty bucks a pint for it.
Agreed. Honey is often a great addition to our general diet.
Pono - sounds like you had an awesome setup. Hope you're able to get it going again.

That said, here's a head's up for the general public. I wish I could say that I'm shocked, but this kind of bullshit is the norm these days...

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 09:25:46 AM »
I think my wife would have made a good witch back in the day. Raw local honey helps with her allergies, but now we have a jar of fire cider curing in the basement, should be ready in a few days. It's our first batch, but from preliminary testing a shot of this stuff clears out ears and most airways. A shot a day during the flu season, and more if you feel something coming on.
http://mountainroseblog.com/fire-cider/
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 10:38:51 AM »
Commercial honey is crap, even when it comes directly from bees, the hives are often fed up with sugar water to boost production. Sugar water is legitimate for strengthening hives, but not as a cheap and fast way to make more honey. Buy it locally, or don't buy it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal