Author Topic: Paddling with Icebergs, Ice Flows and GW Road Kill  (Read 5090 times)

supthecreek

Paddling with Icebergs, Ice Flows and GW Road Kill
« on: March 28, 2015, 08:26:02 AM »
Flat-water, but thought the unique aspect of it deserved main court,

March 25, armed with the beasho cam, I finally got a shot at our ice pack, as it is beginning to break up.

At high tide, the icebergs are floating low in the water and uninteresting.
At low tide they sit on the bottom and expose their beauty.... but at low tide you can walk a mile out into Cape Cod Bay on damp sand.... so no paddling then.

Mid tide is the only option, but the only open areas are where rivers or harbors tidal flow moves the ice pack apart enough to paddle thru.

Strong 10' + tides mean lots of ice moving when deep enough to paddle.... so short windows of opportunity.

I got lucky and did ebb and flood tidal trips... and saw some cool stuff for springtime on Cape Cod  :)

PSA.... if you are tempted to try this.... know your stuff... those ice fields of 6' - 8' high chunks. pack tightly together so fast it hard to believe.
Even the little filler ice can ruin your day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-2qA3KmN9s

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Paddling with Icebergs, Ice Flows and GW Road Kill
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 09:32:39 AM »
Rick,  I didn't want to be your right hand at about 9:30.. 

We didn't have tides on Green Bay but I lived in Fish Creek and if the NNE winds were strong enough we could get 8-12' walls of ice mounding on the shoreline threatening to come into your living room.  I learned to dislike long winters.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 10:25:39 AM »
Seems a little risky but it was fun to watch.  :)
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 11:07:47 AM »
Very cool and interesting.
If some people out that way have not fully appreciated summer before (somehow I don't think your one of them)........they will this year.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 11:24:04 AM »
Creek, you have some gnards going out in that stuff.  You have to paddle and iceberg and put it in the "Does it Downwind" thread.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 04:53:20 PM »
LOL....just as I was thinking he's nuts for doing that on the Alana....splash! Nice video, looked like a blast. Nice outing for the beasho cam.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 05:43:39 PM »
Great stuff Creek.  Like a new Madd Max type of sport but totally different.  I fear for the summer in the East Coast that may never come if this is the new dawn of another ice age.

In direct response to your video and all the heat that the selfies have been getting I made this video. 

The Artistry and Evolution of the Selfie

Whenever I am shooting I like to think “What would Survivorman do?”  He is essentially the king of the selfie videos and extremely successful for his antics.

This morning I had a house full of 10 years old girls for my daughter’s birthday party and got delayed.  By the time I was out the wind picked up 12 -14 mph but the waves were in the 7 – 9 foot range which can be OK.  Not really photo worthy but I did what I could to make it fun.   And did some fin testing . . . and jelly tasting . . . and seal rescue . . . and babysitting . . .

https://youtu.be/I_JbZpRQMhM
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 05:55:08 PM by Beasho »

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 05:57:53 PM »
Awesome stuff Creek.. and mad...
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 06:07:23 PM »
Selfie to the max beasho....nicely done!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 06:10:23 PM »
Nice!  We have similar conditions along my stretch of shoreline on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan.  We finally have acces for paddling but not quite surfing yet.  Tomorrow will test that with a big SW wind forecasted.  I biked my shoreline today and found access but lots of floating ice.

Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 06:51:30 PM »
Beasho, your selfy was priceless.  I need to get a long, blond Fabio wig to wear during my recording sessions to be properly narcissistic during my selfys, but I draw the line at chewing on jellyfish.

Maybe my blond Fabio wig will make the surf babes tear off their tops and thrust their heaving breasts at me.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 08:18:37 PM »
beash.... are you just ripping off the head strap cam and handholding for selfies? I don't see any flapping straps anywhere.
It actually does give the benefit of the "hand cam" that proners use.
I haven't thought of that..... hummmmmm, now I can be really annoying.

I did use that technique in my "mouth Cam" video when my mouth got sore, I'd take the cam out and talk to it briefly.... but never went anywhere with it.
I have noticed that when I handhold a GoPro it can get pretty shaky.... maybe that's just old age.

I like it the vantage when you have it looking at you with the wave in the background ;D ;D ;D

XLR8.... looks like  a great paddle scene!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 08:51:47 PM »
You just gave me a thought for a camera mount guys. Take a carbon paddle shaft and cut it lengthwise. Add a sliding sleeve at the end to fit around the paddle shaft. Make a clip of some kind to hold the top end in place. Put the camera up as near the handle as would work. Maybe on a gymbal. It would give an interesting persepective as you paddle. Get into a wave and extend.....paddle selfie stick. Best not be used with anyone else around though.... ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:54:35 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 06:27:13 AM »
Nice scenery Rick,     I stopped by the Indiana dunes 2 weeks ago on my return cross country drive hoping to see that sort of arctic iceberg float.    Surprised to see some folks kayaking,  but no SUP's.   

What was the river ?   Quivvet creek ?  or up Wellfleet way?

JP

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 06:57:27 AM »
hey JP... most of the remaining ice has been packed into the "corner" of Cape Cod Bay between Brewster and Eastham, by NW winds.

I used Boat Meadow River in Eastham as a way into "Berg-land" (right next to Rock Harbor, Orleans)
The "flats" so shallow that you need a river to give you water depth... but it comes with the strong flows....
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:05:19 AM by supthecreek »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal