Author Topic: Kalama's New GoPro Mount for SUP  (Read 10336 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Kalama's New GoPro Mount for SUP
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 06:01:24 AM »
Badger.....you mean like this?

No Creek, I mean a mount similar to what DJ uses on his downwinders, only one that puts the camera back farther, about six feet behind the board.

Backpack pole mounts don't work well because the camera just follows the rider while the world around it is a blur of motion.

Whatever happened to Dogman? Haven't seen anything from him in quite a while.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 06:04:37 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 06:07:54 AM »
Badger.....you mean like this?

No Creek, I mean a mount similar to what DJ uses on his downwinders, only one that puts the camera back farther, about six feet behind the board.

Backpack pole mounts don't work well because the camera just follows the rider while the world around it is a blur of motion.

Whatever happened to Dogman? Haven't seen anything from him in quite a while.

Dogman is alive and well.. You can see him staring in this awesome new film..

http://vimeo.com/ondemand/34521/116901383

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 06:11:21 AM by DavidJohn »

supthecreek

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 07:07:20 AM »
Ok..... so we seem, collectively, to exert effort to blend in and become more accepted by the surfing community at large.

So... now we are going to invade the line-up with long metal cranes projecting out over our boards?.... in an effort to get a better picture of ourself surfing????  :o

I hate to bring this up..... but this is a questionable idea at best.... Waterloo at worst.

and from the "teaser" shot of DK.... not worth giving up ground gained through proper line-up etiquette.

Flat-water, DWing... sure, no problem.

Surfing? Problem. IMO :)
I'm probably wrong.... maybe the surfers will like the new vertical direction paddling around out there.

Believe me.... I feel the heat in a road trip line-up..... times when I would love to throw on my "head band" mount to get good footage of a board for review at a point break. But I've never done it. Heck... I have only done the nose cam once for each board I want to review, when on the road.

I look like a complete dork in the "head band mount" and only wear it in local SUP line-ups.
Then I terrorize the locals with "Cam in your face conversations" You are being recorded ;D

I get a lot of this:

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 07:08:08 AM »
Nice to of the doggie, thanks DJ.  I see he is still running freely, frothing as usual.

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 07:13:55 AM »
Ok..... so we seem, collectively, to exert effort to blend in and become more accepted by the surfing community at large.....

What, I think I blend right in there...... ;)

Will

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 07:14:28 AM »
Ahmen STC!  Wise words. When "visiting" the nicest waves here, and you know them, I tread softly. I get mine but I don't provoke and a camera pointing about the lineup isn't just all peachy. The kooked rig would be even worse.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 07:35:16 AM »
Ok..... so we seem, collectively, to exert effort to blend in and become more accepted by the surfing community at large.

So... now we are going to invade the line-up with long metal cranes projecting out over our boards?.... in an effort to get a better picture of ourself surfing????  :o

I hate to bring this up..... but this is a questionable idea at best.... Waterloo at worst.

and from the "teaser" shot of DK.... not worth giving up ground gained through proper line-up etiquette.

Flat-water, DWing... sure, no problem.

Surfing? Problem. IMO :)
I'm probably wrong.... maybe the surfers will like the new vertical direction paddling around out there.

Believe me.... I feel the heat in a road trip line-up..... times when I would love to throw on my "head band" mount to get good footage of a board for review at a point break. But I've never done it. Heck... I have only done the nose cam once for each board I want to review, when on the road.

I look like a complete dork in the "head band mount" and only wear it in local SUP line-ups.
Then I terrorize the locals with "Cam in your face conversations" You are being recorded ;D

I get a lot of this:

I understand totally.

I was thinking more of flatwater/downwind for the long pole off the tail, although it might be fun to try on some waves when there's no one else out.

I wouldn't think of taking any kind of rig like that into the public surfing arena. I've only been surfing a year and a half but I learned very quickly how important it is to blend in and not ruin anyone's enjoyment by being a distraction. When I'm out there I try as best I can to be just another surfer.

That's why the paddle mount is so good in the surf. With the cam on the paddle, no one really feels like they are being filmed. Head mounts/mouth mounts on the other hand are too visible and make people feel uncomfortable.

Someday these cameras will be the size of a quarter and no one will even notice them. Drones will be the size of hummingbirds and follow us wherever we go.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:49:16 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2015, 08:16:01 AM »
DK gave me a used paddle shaft for my next pole mount that I'm going to use for surf shots, swimming in the lineup.  It's about 6' long and get's some cool angles. 

Here's one from my first attempt with it.

Philn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2015, 11:57:53 AM »
Bager.....you mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W29A2rxnwc

My friend Bob started working on a back POV for windsurfing about 6 years ago. Here is what he came up with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-rw2Kyh9xo

supthecreek

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2015, 12:23:34 PM »
Daily... thats an awesome vantage!!! I can't believe it's only a 6' pole.... great shot  ;D

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 03:48:50 PM »
All I have to say about the first photo is - - thanks for the sticker placement Dave!    ;D
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 05:30:17 AM »

My friend Bob started working on a back POV for windsurfing about 6 years ago. Here is what he came up with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-rw2Kyh9xo

I have used a similar POV waist harness / 3rd person view for SUP downwinding. Great to see your friend's standing up to a heavy surf beating. As an ex-windsurfer, that is an awesome video! As I have found out though, there are limitations to this set up..
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 05:50:28 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal