Author Topic: Reverse steering during wave rides on raceboard  (Read 3437 times)

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
Reverse steering during wave rides on raceboard
« on: March 26, 2015, 06:18:32 AM »
I have a fanatic falcon 14' that I mostly paddle in flat water, but sometimes in ocean chop and small waves. I'm trying to learn better tuning and technique for waves and ocean conditions so I can be more competitive in some of Florida's ocean races.

Although the board is pretty fast in rough water, as per the design intent, it's definitely tougher to ride than a surf style board. One thing I notice when catching a small bump is that it has reverse steering- I tilt it one way and it steers the other way. On a larger wave where I get further back on the board I might expect it to surf more normally, but in those conditions it seems to just not steer at all, except by my dragging a paddle. Are there any particular fin setups or techniques I should be using to get better directional control on waves and rough water?
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Reverse steering during wave rides on raceboard
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 06:48:57 AM »
It's pretty normal.. and happens for lots of different reasons..

Like.. board shape.. outline, rails, rocker, fins.. and water pushing on the rail..

Also the conditions, your speed, and your position on the board..

Also planing and non planing makes the biggest difference..

Some times you think you're planing but not actually fully planing..

We actually use the opposite rail turning on downwinders at times..

So it's worth mastering it so you don't feel like you're getting high-sided when it happens..

I often make it happen on purpose..  :)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 08:15:15 AM »
Just saw this on another thread.. There's more to it than this.. but it pretty much says it all..  :)

'' Opposite rail when forward and same rail when on the tail ''

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 08:22:16 AM »
I wish someone had told me '' Opposite rail when forward and same rail when on the tail '' before I had to learn "reverse steering", "high-sided," and "death-roll", especially the last one, on my own.

14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 08:22:31 AM »
In racing "foot steering" is the act of tilting the board on one side to get it to turn the other. You lean right, the board goes left. It has to do with the foil developed on a displacement type of hull. The softer the bottom rail, and the more displaced the nose, the more 'foot steer' or 'reverse steer' or 'opposite steer' you get.
Using a displaced race type of board in the surf is tricky. You got to move forward and back a lot more than with an actual surf type of SUP. If the nose grabs while you are 'say leaning right to go right on a wave', that nose is going to go left unless you get back and get it out of the water. I take off on a wave on my race board the same way I do on my surf sup. I'm usually a little forward with my left foot forward (regular foot). As soon as I feel the board getting pulled, I'll start moving back on the board while keeping an I on the nose. I want to leave the nose down long enough to develop more speed, but not long enough to let the nose 'pitch' or reverse steer.
Part of the speed generating particularly on less steep rollers, is to let the nose pearl just a little. When it does, you have to sort of flatten the board to a neutral angle so the nose doesn't go right or left. At that point, it's critical to get back enough to get the nose up and start your turn.
If the wave is steeper, then your going to want to start out on an angle in the direct you want to go. You shouldn't need to be that forward, just enough to catch the wave. You're going to have to keep the nose up the whole time on this type of wave. If the nose touches, your done.
Another component to surfing a race board is the lack of rocker, rail shape and the boards are narrow. They want to go straight. Your natural instinct is to lean and make a bottom turn.
This is where your paddle comes in. You need to drop down and lean on the paddle a little till the board comes around. It's a super slow motion bottom turn.
When you are standing in the line-up, stand back far enough to get the nose and front 3' or so just barely out of the water. Almost a pivot turn, but not quite. You should be able to freely paddle the board in a tight circle. That's where you will be standing when you're on the wave. If you move back to the pivot turn position you will stall the board on a wave.
It's good to practice stalling too. If you're surfing a big board you are putting others at more of a risk. Like being a truck driver, you got to leave your self room to brake or you might hurt someone. The stall is your only brake. On a race board, it's a big stall. I also use it when I hit the shore at the end of and ocean paddle or race. If it's a shore break, I'll paddle like I'm trying to catch it. Just before it breaks, I'll stall, then immediately paddle on the back of the wave all the way to shore.           
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:34:53 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 08:22:41 AM »
Racing canoes was the same.  The lean was counterintuitive.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 08:23:40 AM »
Quote from: DavidJohn link=topic=26802.msg277432#msg277432 date=1427382915

'' Opposite rail when forward and same rail when on the tail ''
[/quote

+1 on this. Similar to a windsurfer with and without a daggerboard if my memory serves me correctly..
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 12:46:24 PM »
Thanks for the responses, everybody. There's a lot of helpful stuff here that I can start working on getting the feel for.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal