Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis clip  (Read 20334 times)

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy Lewis clip
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 10:56:58 PM »
I appreciate any video produced that has a board I'm researching in it. But I've found recently that I prefer a shitty video that's non-selfie, that shows me how the board rides on the water, over selfie videos. It's difficult to tell how the board behaves with the selfie clips.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 04:26:55 AM »
I appreciate any video produced that has a board I'm researching in it. But I've found recently that I prefer a shitty video that's non-selfie, that shows me how the board rides on the water, over selfie videos. It's difficult to tell how the board behaves with the selfie clips.

Selfie is the word I've been looking for.  That's all most GoPro videos are.

Board mount selfies are the worst. I usually just ignore those. I have no desire to watch a closeup video looking up at a guy standing on his board.

I do like these elaborate mounts people are inventing to get to get the camera higher, but that's not enough. We also need to get the camera farther away.

My way would be to mount a long carbon paddle shaft off the tail of the board so that it's way back behind the rider.  High enough to be out of the water, but far enough back so as to appear as if someone else was filming.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 04:35:35 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 05:26:37 AM »
I like em all. if it sucks, turn it off. The better ones are those shot by others and edited by someone that knows what they are doing but I've enjoyed many that are selfies that are marginally edited too. The best are the combination, multi camera, seeing the action from a distance where you can see it all interspersed with gopro closeups of the paddler so you can see the micro moves on the board that made it happen.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 05:41:02 AM »
as mentioned in the recent soloshot thread, most gopro vids (not all) are almost by definition selfies in the worst sense of the word.  personally, i have little use for them.  i just think it's a weird thing for people to do, spend hours focusing on themselves like that.  and just cause a gopro vid features, i don't know, laird or kai or any of our greats, that doesn't make it any more appealing.  give me vids shot from shore, give me drone vids, give me vids of all kinds that don't feature just one rider's ankles or shoulders or a happy smiling face for minutes at a time.  ugh.

end of cranky rant.

p.s. Creek's gopro videos are not, imo, selfie of the type that I'm talking about.  Somehow, when I watch one of his films, I feel like I'm being shown more than Creek alone.  I'm getting a grand sense of humor, for one thing, and from that, a very interesting point of view on the world that has nothing to do with SUPing.  They're about him, at the same time they're about more.  But not everyone can pull that off.  At least near as I can tell.

okay, now I'll zip it.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 07:35:54 AM »
Nothing worse than a 4 minute nose mounted video of someone tip toeing back and forth while making funny faces.
I do like any other perspective that shows the wave and the line up. That to me is interesting.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 08:41:41 AM »
Nothing worse than a 4 minute nose mounted video of someone tip toeing back and forth while making funny faces.
I do like any other perspective that shows the wave and the line up. That to me is interesting.

I agree...   that's why my last two videos I used the chest adapter , it's a better perspective, but even down the line gets boring awful fast.  Some of the shots with the camera attached to the leash plug give a cool perspective from behind the rider…especially in the barrel.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 08:56:56 AM »
I appreciate anyone who is willing to make a video and hang it out there for the masses to see and rip or rave about. Even the board mounted videos may give some smidgeon of information about a rider that I would not have known.  Sure I usually turn them of, but I would never want to kill someone's stoke for making videos. Someone may start with a crappy nose-mount video but with a little encouragement they may end up pushing out there further and getting us the next "Blame the Laird".

I also agree about STC videos. Taking the time to point the camera at a few other things/riders adds a lot.

To make great videos you need a lot of different shots. A single position for a camera is way too mehhhh.

I have a go pro, but have never used it for anything except videos of kids. My favorite was mounting it on my 5 y.o daughters batting helmet in t-ball game. No one rips on kid videos.

My skin must be too thin to post a video of me doing anything. I've never taken a selfie yet, but I love them when my wife sends them to me. 8)
Make paddleboarding great again!

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 09:01:14 AM »
One thing very useful about the JL clip was that it showed the people paddling into the waves. It was good to see optimal position for board to catch waves. I wish more of the pro videos showed them paddling into the waves. I think it looks cool when someone is aggressively catching them.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 09:06:40 AM »
For years I wished surf movies showed guys paddling out, access to the break etc just to orient the viewer a bit.

I try and include some paddling over and through waves as well as the occasional wipe out, it's all part of the session.

I am glad to hear many of you Zoners enjoy seeing some of the backdrop and surroundings in addition to the surf.  I always try and include some footage showing the trip to the break, SUP vehicle, surroundings etc.  Keep in mind also that many of the videos I make are for me to enjoy and savor as much as they are to share on the 'Zone..

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 10:45:07 AM »
Haaa...loving my new Go Pro....I surf 99 per cent on my own and think it is great now that I can share some of my most enjoyable times with others. If they don't like em....doesn't worry me in the slightest. Here is one for all those who hate shots taken from the front of the board  ;D ;D

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 03:15:53 PM »
That's a really nice shot.

Having a long board helps. Still shots are different than video. If it were video that scene would be gone in a matter of seconds.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supthecreek

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 08:53:53 PM »
coldy... thats the one I liked best.... the carvy turn is in sync with the sunset. :)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 11:24:48 PM »
coldy... thats the one I liked best.... the carvy turn is in sync with the sunset. :)

Yup....I like that one too...will remind me of an evening that turned out great.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2015, 12:14:18 PM »
I agree. I enjoyed watching those nice waves in Taiwan. The guys putting out those videos are just stoked and obviously love Jimmy Lewis.

Again, I am glad people go through the trouble to share, because it is some trouble to record, edit, process and upload the videos.  I don't care if the bar is high or low, they are all pretty entertaining and informative in their own right.

Thank you for the encouragement.  I hope it isn't a competition here. Let's just keep sharing the stoke. And of course razzing the occasional miss.  8)
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2015, 03:42:04 AM »
i'm baffled by the abundance of guys out there with Go-Pros. the videos are unwatchable. i don't care whether its mounted to your paddle, your hand or head, your board, whatever...those are BORING videos and really reveal nothing about a board, the rider, or the waves. i've never once considered wasting time or money on such devices, and when a video comes up from one, i turn it off immediately. i'm beginning to think no one has enough brain capacity out there anymore to actually remember what they did, so they have to record it, regardless of how dull it may be.  Monday morning rant...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal