Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis clip  (Read 20335 times)

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Jimmy Lewis clip
« on: March 24, 2015, 09:39:31 PM »

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy Lewis clip
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 10:38:21 PM »
Kinda bad having a promo clip for a new board that shows that even a very light rider has a hard time catching waves.

The boards look nice though.

Are those lane lines there to separate the standies from the pronies?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:42:25 PM by southwesterly »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 01:01:22 AM »
Wow, that was weird. And why did the guy bail the board faced with knee-high whitewater.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

KiwiSupGreg

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 01:59:12 AM »

Wow, that was weird. And why did the guy bail the board faced with knee-high whitewater.

Yeah I don't really understand any of that video? Waves looked fun , but swim lanes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 03:39:59 AM »
That clip seems to make a very important point........even the hottest new performance board can be made to look less than exciting.  I'm not sure why somebody would try and make a fake promo video, but I'm pretty certain Jimmy Lewis isn't the producer. 

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 10:27:38 AM »
Those guys have made a lot of JL clips... the ones about the World Wide are even more useless.

I suspect that they have a JL shop and are just entering the SUP world.... they have a lot of stoke. Next years vids are sure to be better  :D

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 11:11:53 AM »
It's called edit....get rid of the waves that are lame and you didn't catch :o
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
JK 7'-10" x 41/4" = 106 L
Joe Blair Gun 8-10" x 28 x 4 1/4
198 lbs - 5'-9"

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 11:25:04 AM »
Yeah...they are very enthusiastic about putting out film...Taiwan I think? Doesn't seem to matter if the film isn't great or not they still put it out. There's a heap of them....not very good paddlers but have heaps of stoke and they don't really care much what folk think I guess. Watching some of their films it is clear they have a great time and seem to get on well together.

There are however some very good paddlers I have also seen.

Jimmy doesn't really make his own vids I think....only a few.....mainly leaves it to whoever is distributing the boards.

Same bloke...better vid.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H9LJ4T-qwTs

Was going to say.....they post loads on Facebook so us a great way to see the boards.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:36:17 AM by coldsup »

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 07:53:54 PM »
Enthusiastic and in need of an editor?

Yes.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 07:58:03 AM »
Enthusiastic and in need of an editor?

Yes.

:) :) :)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: PADDLE SURF HAWAII CLIP
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
The responsibility is on US ALL to NOT post this crap. I apologize for even bumping the thread.

I am reluctant to  negatively criticize video but the reality is most video is below average in everyone else's mind.

The first video looks like the the guy's mother strung together a few clips in iMovie and was awed that she actually had a video record of something.

For better, or for worse, the bar keeps getting raised on what is good video.  The action has to be better, the angles more impressive.  DJ's downwinder mounts were super revolutionary.  I especially liked his windsurfing boom angle.  Kalama's is just OK now by comparison.   

Like anything else the more time and practice you have the better the video is going to be.  Typically a good production will incorporate multiple sessions and roughly 3 - 4 hours of editing per minute of video.  When I put together Thank The Laird I spent 2 months collecting footage with a paddle mount which was pretty rare at the time.  I then spent 15 hours editing.  When I uploaded the final version, at 2 am, I had a beer and smiled because I knew it was a winner.

I am now intimidated by the work I know it will take to raise the bar once more.  Maybe all it would take is a solo session at Mavericks with clean 30 footers and multiple drone angles synced to a paddle perspective while I catch waves going left and right wearing my college hockey jersey and a gorilla mask, or maybe a tuxedo . . . maybe a tandem ride with my dog ??  ::)

Shameless repost  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gIp9vfhLDE
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 06:31:58 PM by Beasho »

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 06:35:20 PM »
Beash... I'm glad you mentioned how much time goes into a video.... it can consume a lot of time on all ends.

I have had almost zero luck with the paddle mount, my shoulders fail mostly, but keeping the angle right is tough.

I loved the cam switch  from back to front while being hit by the lip going for the tube.... great focus!

And of course the ever popular back spinning dismount.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 06:35:24 PM »
A big part of the reason I don't post many videos is because in order to make it even marginally good it takes a boatload of time I don't have. They obviously don't have much time either.... ;)

That said I did just get a new PC and the editing software that came with it looks pretty capable. I may bore you all with a few.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 07:59:33 PM »
Imovie makes it reasonably straightforward and it gets faster the more you do it.  Editing through long clips to find the right parts is the most time consuming, but once you find them, you just drop them in sequence and drop on a sound track.

If you want the stop motion etc. you might have to spend some more time with the menus, or special graphics and print.  I just do it a bit at a time i.e. take the  footage, transfer it to a file, drop the footage for imovie to digest, go through and look for the clips for the movie.  Waiting for the computer to "digest" the input or "process" the final output can just be left going in the background.

Then, transferring to YouTube or Vimeo are also background processes.

Again, I am glad people go through the trouble to share, because it is some trouble to record, edit, process and upload the videos.  I don't care if the bar is high or low, they are all pretty entertaining and informative in their own right.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 10:55:45 PM »
Again, I am glad people go through the trouble to share, because it is some trouble to record, edit, process and upload the videos.  I don't care if the bar is high or low, they are all pretty entertaining and informative in their own right.

Thank you for the encouragement.  I hope it isn't a competition here. Let's just keep sharing the stoke. And of course razzing the occasional miss.  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal