Author Topic: Unusual places to paddle near you?  (Read 3606 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Unusual places to paddle near you?
« on: March 21, 2015, 07:24:45 PM »
Travelling around with an inflatable SUP has allowed me to paddle in some interesting and unusual places. One of my favourite local paddles is around Aberdeen Harbour in Hong Kong where the Jumbo Floating Restaurant is. With every sort of watercraft present it is never dull. As a kid I used to have time lapse posters of this harbour on my bedroom wall that a friend of my parents brought back from a trip there, so it is funny to think that 40+ years later, here I am paddling this exact same place. It is still a fully functioning harbour and typhoon shelter, with much of Hong Kong's seafood entering the market here. Not as busy as it used to be though.

http://youtu.be/9EJ2dgMChx4

The main issue has been waterborn trash / marine trash and the authorities have done a good job at cleaning it up and preventing it. Just on this one tour I passed 3 trash collecting boats which seem to constantly circulate. The vid is on 2x speed and filmed with a 3 axis gimbal.

Where are the unusual or interesting places you paddle?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:46:27 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual places to paddle near you?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 05:31:06 AM »
Thanks  Off-Shore, one of my favorite things about the 'Zone is when someone "takes" me on a tour of their local...  8)

Pretty steady footage with the gimballed mount .. Nice.

David
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 02:57:10 PM »
This was great! Tight spaces don't deter you, an advantage of being on an inflatable I suppose.  ;) 
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 03:53:41 PM »
That was really fun.... I felt like a neighborhood kid running through backyards shortcuts to get around town.

So colorful and exciting. Thanks for bringing us along on your skillful navigating of the back alleys

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 04:30:58 PM »
thanks,

I enjoyed paddling along visually with you.  A very interesting tour for sure.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 06:57:46 AM »
Glad you all liked it. This was a 5.5km / 3.4 mile paddle. The vid is at 2x speed so whilst it may look like I'm slaloming my way through the boats, it was actually quite leisurely. I can't think of another way to do this with such a good vantage point... That's why SUP is so awesome for doing this kind of thing.

Even more fun is doing this route at night, which is best done in a group with multiple beers afterwards!

Here's a Garmin snapshot of the route of this paddle
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 09:21:27 AM »
What a cool spot to paddle....thanks for sharing.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal