Author Topic: Disturbed sesh at La Jolla Shores ....  (Read 7445 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Disturbed sesh at La Jolla Shores ....
« on: March 20, 2015, 12:41:42 PM »

All the old proners hang out at one entrance to the La Jolla Shores beach, talking story, probably telling lies, snickering at what they're seeing in the water, hooting, as well.
  Me, I try to avoid them, both going in and leaving.  But I always know they're there, checking out my classic spazoid stylings and flailings.
  So today, for no good reason, I walk past them on my way to the water.
  "There goes my favorite SUPer," this one old lion says, just loud enough so I could hear.
   So now I know they've been scoping me out.
  What I couldn't tell was how much irony and/or sarcasm to read in his voice.
   I stepped onto the sand, then thought better of it, and headed back toward the pack.
   I mean, wtf?  I'm not hurting anybody out there.  What business is it of theirs how I surf?  And I thought about puffing my little chest out and getting something off it.  But what if he was even semi serious?  What if I lost my brain on some guy who didn't deserve it?
   I waffled, and lost all my steam.  Told him my SUP was based on the Morey Blue Machine that was in the first noseriding contest at Malibu.  And he said, Malibu?  I don't think so.  And I said, no?  And he said, No.  Ventura.  I was in it.
   But by this time, he wasn't even facing me any more.  He was speaking to his cronies as much as me.  So, I left.  And had a unsettled time in the water, trying to parse his opening words.  Yeah, yeah, I know, let it go in one ear and out the other.  Well, today, it got stuck in the middle and I was more of a flailing mess than usual.
   Then when I got out of the water, my truck had died -- deferred maintenance led to a burned out alternator and a fried battery.
   AAA came and hauled us away.  The truck is now at a garage.  So, all is well.  But, man, sometimes if it's not one thing it's another.  Am I right?

supthecreek

Re: Disturbed sesh at La Jolla Shores ....
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 01:38:17 PM »
Man linter.... I get bummed hearing that. He was right.... Ventura, but I frickin' HATE  A-holes.

If I were you I'd keep a picture handy of you and Charlie chewing the cud....
show it to him and say wasn't he at that contest with Dennis Wilson?  :o
That'd put some crinkle in his sack.

At any rate.... there isn't any shit-head anywhere, worthy of carrying your bags my friend.... pay them no heed.
You just saw the whole sphere of their influence..... Diddley squat. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 02:35:05 PM »
It's funny how bold jerks can be when they are with a pack of their friends and you are alone.  It's the mob mentality and it seems to go hand-in-hand with other forms of stupidity.  Sorry you had to experience it from those jerks. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

trailertrashed

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 03:35:30 PM »
 One time some knuckle dragger told me all of us SUPpers think we're Laird. I replied,"Yeah. Because we are." He couldn't think of anything after that.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 03:40:13 PM »
Next time just say "Bitch don't kill my vibe" .

I am always amazed that someone is willing to wreck someone else's stoke to make themselves feel smug for a few seconds. A person taking the 2 seconds to be an asshole can make someone else feel like crap for hours. For what?

There is a lesson I always tell my kids. I tell them the most powerful person in the room is the one who has been kind to the most people in it.  I learned it by watching my wife.
Make paddleboarding great again!

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 03:52:06 PM »
thanks for weighing in, guys.  "bitch don't kill my vibe" is going to be my new go-to line for situations like these.

yeah, crowd behavior and mentalities are weird.  i've both faced them and participating it them.  it's just weird how powerful and compelling they are in the moment.  very hard to resist.

StC: I knew he was right the second he said it.  but what a smug ol' turd.

no worries, though.  next time i see the guy, i'll still maintain it was malibu :-).

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 04:48:41 PM »
Was it these dudes?

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 05:13:52 PM »
tom:  kinda like.  without the hair.  without any hair, actually.  same general attitude, tho!

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 06:00:10 PM »
 Did you tell him that Mickey Munoz beat Mike Hynson by only seven-tenths of a second of total tip time and won 15 hundred bucks? It was July fourth weekend 1965. The first surf contest judged on nose riding alone. Riders were timed once standing forward of a stripe painted on the front quarter of their boards.

Funny thing was a couple of years later, Tom Morey found a mathematical error on one of the judges timing cards and Mike Hynson should have been declared the winner.

Or did you tell him to just shut the F up and have a nice day?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 06:26:20 PM by southwesterly »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 07:23:06 PM »
These guys will eventually see the light. The reason they sit around and talk is because they either can't get to their feet anymore, or rarely. I see them all the time sneaking out into the harbor on SUPs! I'll say "hey Jim, how come you're not at SanO? Did you decide that SUP's aren't for assholes?" Eventually they will realize they can surf again and get a higher wave count on a SUP. It's a hard pill to swallow for a die hard longboarder.
Linter, you are just ahead of the curve. F! them..
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SuppaTime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 08:52:11 PM »
thanks for weighing in, guys.  "bitch don't kill my vibe" is going to be my new go-to line for situations like these.

You are better than that. Just give the guys the shaka, a smile, and a g'day gents. Narrow the gulf, don't widen it.
Slippahs:
Locals size 13
Reefs size 13
None size 13

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 08:58:22 PM »
Funny..... SUP is just as big a part of the "Ultimate Waterman" competition as longboard  ;D

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 09:00:38 PM »
Gettin' vibed sucks. Positivity rules.  8)
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 09:11:45 PM »
i get that shit all the time.  kill um with smiles.  i try to act the fool.  sandbagging is my game.   i loose my cool here and there though. i think i get more mad at myself for loosing my cool than the original comment.  ive got my group of haters.  i was the first guy around HB area to start suping so ive heard it all.  if you do loose your cool and smiles just wont work,,go for the weakest in the group and find something he really is uncomfortable about.  For ex> ask him if hes seen his dick the past decade,,your belly is fucking huge...or maybe the receding hairline or balding (it doesnt matter if all of us are allready bald, we own our baldness) but the fat longboarder hippy assmunch probably had a pony tail with no hair in front,  go for the throat on that one.  maybe he was really ugly,,go for that..  these are all just examples of course. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 09:46:30 PM »
It is a bummer for them on two counts. One, they missed getting to hang with a truly great guy. Two, sooner or later they will quit or SUP.

You rock man, don't let em live in your head rent free.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard