Author Topic: starboard hypernut  (Read 25570 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: starboard hypernut
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 09:46:53 AM »
It reminds me of some Fischer racing skis I had in the 80's, that had a double sidecut. There was a little bump in the rail right under your boot. If were forward rounding a gate, the skis would turn quick tip to boot. You'd get a quick rebound into the next gate. That little bump in the HyperNut rail seems like it might work really well. I like unconventional designs that make sense. This is more of a toned down Peanut Board. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 10:02:58 AM »
hi there!! last week i had the chance to try the JP Slate Surf 7´2 x 28´´ 103 liters
I´m now 85 kg plus gear. I made a pre order of the hypernut Wood edition 7´x28´´ (by that time i was 75kg, hehehe)

I first test de jp first in flat wáter with no issues, float me fine (third rear of the board under wáter) but no problem at all to paddle. very stable, nice glide, not so much jaw and i have a pretty big paddle. Never fall.

A different beast on the ocean. 3 hours sesión in perfect conditions, glass, no wind, 4 foot beach break. Only manage to catch 3 waves, the rest of the time i was falling. Sometimes i could stand still, sometimes paddling arround in the line up.

Only caugth 3 waves because lack of timing with this board, lack of stablility (my fault, not the board) bad position in the line up (to far out and not catching the wave or in the inside and the wave breaking over me or falling)

So, bottom line: although it is doable (need to start feeding with lettuce, cutting off the sweet and practice practice practice) i start wondering is a more bigger hypernut is not going to be more fun. (what is all about)

I was looking for performance in small waves, but realice that don´t want to loose the fun factor.

I remember someone ask me why i didn´t go with the 7´4 x 30 if the 85 prowave was a struggle, and by that time i didn´t want to know about somthing wider than my hokua (28´´) I will not eat my words (because i had to get in shape, hehehe)

Now, after this two sessión, i´m wondering if the 7´4 has much more stability than the 7´2 (as it only has one more liter) or even if the 7´8 performance is that much worse.

As i didn´t recibe my board yet, i think i had the chance to trade it. Anyone rode the 7´2 vs the 7´4 vs the 7´8 to give me a feed back?

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 10:40:59 AM »
i wouldn't just compare the dimensions of the JP Slate to the Hypernut...they're not the same boards.  I've never been on a HN, but did try the 7'6"*29 JP Slate and found it to be a difficult board.  was only on it a few moments though. I'm sure i could get used to it over time. For reference I'm 95 kgs, 6'3".  I could balance on it somewhat, but catching a wave was another story. As you said, there is tippiness from both the length and width, and virtually no glide whatsoever. I've been considering getting one of these boards as well, but after trying the biggest Slate, I pretty much know I'll need something a bit bigger...probably the 8' HN.

Going 7*28 on any board is going to require a fair amount of effort from the average 85 kg guy...regardless of these new shapes.   If you're not up to the challenge, I would think the 7'8" HN would be a better fit for you, but again, I've never been on one so my opinion may not be that valid.  I just think some believe these new shapes are complete magic...they ain't.   

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 11:13:52 AM »
+1 Beached. The weight of the pilot had a lot to do with it!

My JP Slate 7'6" is very stable, more stable in chop, cross swells, motion in the ocean than my 7'11", 8'4", and 8'8" King's but is an absolute pig dog slug to paddle.

It is very fast and loose, but not as fast as a Simsup. Will be interesting to see how it works in larger fall swells, if Lake Atlantic wakes up.

I ride it as much as I can because I can do things on a shorter board that I can't do on a longer board, and don't  have the skills to ride a 29" wide traditional shape.

All feedback from anyone on a Tomo type is important. Good, bad, and ugly!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 05:57:52 AM »
                      "I just think some believe these new shapes are complete magic...they ain't."     

Oh boy Beached, did I buy that line...  I had been watching/wanting a shape from CA for about a year ..but saw a remarkable number come up for sale shortly after people got them?!  That seemed a sign to me. So I brought an 8-1 V-Box in from OZ. (all four corners making surface contact - parallel rails ..gotta be stable, no?)  I failed to pay attention to width, 27.5, and rocker.  After throughly humiliating myself even in flatwater I was fortunate that Surfercook saved me from taking an embarrassing financial soaking. 

I'm pretty sure I found a formula that works for me however in the Sunova Speeed 9-5.  It has the modern nose I want - parallel rails - 31" width - 160L - very light weight  ..with a performance tail.  It's got a bunch of nose kick and a fair bit of rocker ..it's 'twitchy' but not unstable.  We've had heavy onshore winds (20-40kts forecast for another week) so I have only been able to use it as a cruiser.  It moves fairly well on flatwater. (light weight helps)   Jiggles.. but two hours of dry hair.  With the V-Box, I had ~2min of dry hair in the same conditions.   

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 10:45:30 AM »
Would a 28" wide hypernut be less tippy standing still than a regular board that is 28" wide? 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2015, 03:52:35 PM »
Ok I've been riding the 7'4 now for about a week, I've ridden it in 3 ft. To shoulder high.this board is crazy fast! Good rail to rail and is 30 inch wide but feels wider when u stand on it.  Much easier to relax on between waves then airborne. Easier to ride in chop then airborne. For a 7'4 this board is beefy. I'm 190lbs. And this board floats me fine with room to spare it will float a 200 lb. person no problem! I think I'm Going drop to the 7'2. Or even 6'10?

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2015, 12:24:53 PM »
I have the 7'4 but think I should get the 7'2  it seems good but feel I could do less volume.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2015, 02:36:23 PM »
I am 150 lbs looking to move from a Strboard Drive 10.5 to something more performance oriented. Mostly South Shore Oahu wait to head high surfing.

Question: how is the Hypernut on the paddle out and through surf?

Ok I've been riding the 7'4 now for about a week, I've ridden it in 3 ft. To shoulder high.this board is crazy fast! Good rail to rail and is 30 inch wide but feels wider when u stand on it.  Much easier to relax on between waves then airborne. Easier to ride in chop then airborne. For a 7'4 this board is beefy. I'm 190lbs. And this board floats me fine with room to spare it will float a 200 lb. person no problem! I think I'm Going drop to the 7'2. Or even 6'10?

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2015, 12:12:52 PM »
Great pops right over whitewater. Easy.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2015, 12:24:38 PM »
Great pops right over whitewater. Easy.
How much do you weigh, newt?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2015, 11:27:15 AM »
187 lbs

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2015, 08:35:23 AM »
Newt-  How do you compare it to the pocket rocket (I bough your old one if you remember?)

I love that board and use it in Knee through these last OH swells- where it was maxed out.  I also run it as a quad- not the thruster set up that you sold it with (pretty sure you kept the quads :)

I love the pin tail on the PR- even with quads i can cut it back pretty fast- Im 205 so a bit heavier than you but have no issues balancing on the 130l PR even with full 6/5 gear on. But its still the smallest board I have ever ridden- not bey design- just havent had the ability to try anything else.

i'd be intrested to hear how you compare them- as the PR is getting real tired and i'll need to replace it soon.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2015, 10:30:29 AM »
187 lbs
That's pretty heavy on such a small board, you must have some pretty good balance.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 06:02:53 AM »
I'm going to chime in here.  I got my 7-2 x 28 carbon Hypernut yesterday and took it out in clean waist to shoulder high surf.  I am currently 162 lbs. 

Very easy to balance on.  Never fell once.  I could have gone to the next size down without too much trouble, but I also appreciate being comfortable, so it was perfect for what I wanted.

About the shape:
Fairly high volume throughout, especially in the nose.  The side cut rails are not so noticeable on the shorter "nut" boards, but you can definitely feel it.  I think what the "waist" is doing is making a short board even shorter and allowing you to get the rail fully engaged.  This translates to very positive feedback when carving; Ie, control. 
Very low rockered board, which is the right way to go on sub 8' boards imo.  There is a deep mono concave at the nose, which I am not sold on yet.  I prefer no nose concave on shorter, flat rockered boards.  I am not a great surfer though, and this is very subjective knowledge.  My experience with concave is that it grabs water, which can help you catch weaker waves, but that it also slows you down on steeper waves until the boards gets fully planing.  I could be totally wrong on this, but thats what I've noticed.  Once the board gets going, its very fast, as Newton said.  Bottom turns and cutbacks are ridiculous.  The biggest challenge in moving to a board like this for me is engaging the rails on turns rather than just slashing the board around spastically.  Its very easy to spaz-out on this board :P 

It is absurdly light in carbon.  Starboard absolutely nailed the pad on this board.  The fins are fairly far forward, which adds to the overall fun factor and maneuverability of the board.  Thats really what this board is about….having more fun than everyone else.  Because of its down the line speed and overall control, I would be comfortable taking this into overhead surf.  In fact, if I ever get a chance at a legit barrel, this would be a contender for which board I'd choose, as it would be very easy to fit into a tight, steep pocket. 

I found that the board did not go over whitewater as easily as boards with more nose rocker.  The high nose volume also slows you down a little more as you bust through a collapsing lip.  Its still totally doable, but there are better boards for paddling out.  On the other hand its such a tiny board its not scary to try and bust through waves you might otherwise be ditching your board on. 

Is it a quiver killer?  Probably not.  In high winds, heavy winter surf in sub freezing temps, I'll still be on my 8-4 Focus Rawson (with Futures controllers, the best serious wave board I have ever been on by the way).  In clean off shores to head high, or sloppier shoulder high stuff, this is a contender.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard