Author Topic: Are you happy that you bought a Solo Shot 1 or 2?  (Read 17287 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Are you happy that you bought a Solo Shot 1 or 2?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 06:01:46 AM »
much as i appreciate the efforts of others, i just dont have it in me to engage the paraphernalia of go pro.
and i am anything but a technophobe--if you saw my office full of computers and connectivity eqpmt, you would agree.

part of what i like so much about sup is its relative gear simplicity. board leash paddle go.

compared to skiing, climbing, or worst, WS it is a pleasure to need so little gear to make such an excellent sport happen.

now, if i had more time on my hands......

for now, best i can do is take a quick vid before i suit up and head in--and 'round here that vid almost never shows an SUP, because there are so few--so i have vids of proners, which really just serve to remind me of days i rode.

and no coop gear for me--i surf alone--of my few surfing friends and family, all are impossible to track down and commit to sessions--family demands, work, house projects, etc conspire to prevent.

alone is cool--if you can, and the waves are worthy, you go--and if youre willing to go alone all the time, you go lots more.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 04:16:30 PM »
How spur of the moment is it?
I watched a guy put one together
on the beach and it took a while..
Don't know how the video turned out either..

Fortunately, I've got 30 days to return the SoloShot, if it is lame.   If it's good, maybe we can get some vid of you.

Sure if it is set up let's do it..
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 04:40:58 AM »
cook is the man to explain soloshot
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 10:49:08 AM »
well, since warren apparently doesn't want to weigh in on the relative complexity of the pairing process, i posed the question on amazon and got the following response: "I don't think the paring is improved. You have to warm up the tag for 8 minutes then walk arround then pair then go to your focus point and pair again. I understand with the triangulation going on this is neccisary. I do wish the 8 minutes could be dropped to less than a minute. I still love the thing and really like the 2 as it works well being placed higher than the subject. I don't know if it is worth the extra $100?? I don't have a 1"

think i'll stick with my V1 for the time being.  at least with it you don't have to do the walkabout (50 steps min, according to the manual).

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 11:45:05 AM »
All that for a selfie.

My reaction to women with selfie arms for their camera (increasingly common) is "if you were that cute, you wouldn't have to take your own picture." Of course I never say it out loud, those scratch marks easily infect.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 12:17:31 PM »
I purchased a soloshot 2 a few months ago and I love it. Yes there is a bit of a setup. It seem's the technology hasn't reached the Apple/Iphone level yet. But it doesn't take any longer than 10 minutes and once you've gotten used to it it's not a big deal. It is accurate 95% of the time so long as you follow the proper steps.

Everything i've read about the soloshot 1 just doesn't sound worth it (doesn't tilt, low battery life). I made sure to purchase a quality camera to go with it so the shots come out decent.

I'd say pull the trigger!
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 01:02:34 PM »
All that for a selfie.

wellllll, i don't think of it in those terms.  i hate seeing videos of me surfing.  it's just depressing.  so in terms of ego pumping and happy thoughts and memememe, that's not happening and it's not the point.  seeing my mistakes so i can try to do something about them is more like it.  the gopro is without a doubt all about the selfie.  the soloshot, imho, it can go either way.

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 01:16:03 PM »
All that for a selfie.

wellllll, i don't think of it in those terms.  i hate seeing videos of me surfing.  it's just depressing.  so in terms of ego pumping and happy thoughts and memememe, that's not happening and it's not the point.  seeing my mistakes so i can try to do something about them is more like it.  the gopro is without a doubt all about the selfie.  the soloshot, imho, it can go either way.

Agreed. Soloshot hasn't been the most ego-serving device i've purchased. It has helped me improve my surfing, though.
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 02:14:57 PM »
All that for a selfie.

My reaction to women with selfie arms for their camera (increasingly common) is "if you were that cute, you wouldn't have to take your own picture." Of course I never say it out loud, those scratch marks easily infect.

So you are saying that if my surfing was worthy of being photographed, I wouldn't need a SoloShot because others would want to photograph me?  A SoloShot is only for people who suck?  :)  LOL!  That's awesome.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:18:09 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 02:19:26 PM »
All that for a selfie.

Agreed. Soloshot hasn't been the most ego-serving device i've purchased. It has helped me improve my surfing, though.

Agree, I'm about to use mine for the first time tomorrow and I'm a little afraid of what I'm going to see.  But even if I look like a kook, like you said, it will help me improve. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 03:47:32 PM »
well, since warren apparently doesn't want to weigh in on the relative complexity of the pairing process, i posed the question on amazon and got the following response: "I don't think the paring is improved. You have to warm up the tag for 8 minutes then walk arround then pair then go to your focus point and pair again. I understand with the triangulation going on this is neccisary. I do wish the 8 minutes could be dropped to less than a minute. I still love the thing and really like the 2 as it works well being placed higher than the subject. I don't know if it is worth the extra $100?? I don't have a 1"

think i'll stick with my V1 for the time being.  at least with it you don't have to do the walkabout (50 steps min, according to the manual).

Aloha Erik,
Have you bothered to watch the SS2 setup instructional vid? It shows it exactly...

http://www.soloshot.com/soloshot2-camera-controller-basic-setup-video/

I'm SUPer busy making boards...selling boards...designing products...developing new logos...and, a dozen other things including, surfing...;-)

I've weighed in...it's no big thang if you follow the procedure exactly...you can turn the tag on while in the car to save some time...but, I turn it on right when I get to the beach...by the time I'm suited up and have my board, leash, and paddle ready...it's ready...

By all accounts, the SS2 is a vast improvement...and, the camera controller works perfectly with my Sony AX100 4K...they have told me that they are working on a Canon firmware update...

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 03:59:55 PM »
Figured you were SUPer busy.  Also figured a little nudge might get a response  ;).

What's this walkabout thing about?  50 paces?  You gotta count the paces with the surf bubbling at your toe tips and your mind wandering to the future pleasures of the first wave of the day?  Or do you just approximate?

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2015, 04:55:59 PM »
Does not have to be exactly 50 steps, it has to be at least 50 steps.  Can be done in about a minute.  I've been practicing the setup routine at home so I won't have to hassle figuring it out at the beach.  Just like Wardog says, it's really not that difficult or time consuming. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supthecreek

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 09:14:41 AM »
All that for a selfie.

so...I'm confused.... like, if someone exerted the effort to.... say.....drone a video their waterfront property and post it.....all good? if it was that nice, wouldn't someone else take the video? ;)

Just us SUP surfing "selfie" sycophants are deemed lesser? noted... now that I have been properly diminished, I'll try to measure up.

But the DWing vids are ok... even admirable? ... just trying to get the parameters for "acceptable use" figured out.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 10:56:18 AM »
SUPtheCreek: Yes!

Selfies are pathetic like catching a Stripped Bass on anything other than a flyrod.  (I love that one).

Unless of course you are going right, left or getting tubed over 6 inches of sand.

PS:  My wife took all these  ;D

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:02:22 AM by Beasho »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal