Author Topic: Sup Leash Belt  (Read 14631 times)

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sup Leash Belt
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 01:46:11 PM »
I'll have some to try...
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 02:00:30 PM »
I'm not in huge surf much, but I would be interested just because it keeps you from stepping on the leash. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 03:48:45 PM »
looks cool maybe I'll try it just another thing for a proper to comment on . At least when they do I can hold my own leash and act crazier than normal.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 05:23:15 PM »
see the thing is, i have my last name embroidered on mine, so im way cooler than you northern queer boys.  hahaha

i actually got the idea from Haley, so thanks for that. it has saved my life twice now.
 i almost visited davey jones locker out at Avalanches one day because of that stupid ankle leash.  it was big and fast and i got mowed.  i wasnt so deep, just caught in the turbulence. the wave wouldnt release my board and it drug me dam near two football fields. the leash finally broke and i was able to get to the surface.  i had always used my paddle to get back up as i was being drug.  but the paddle hit me in the face underwater and shattered my nose, i got pissed and let the thing go, but that was stupid.  i should have cursed the thing much later.  anyways, dont surf with the ankle leash over 20', thats my suggestion.

once i got my waist leash i have been pretty ok, with anything really.  i had a bit of apprehension going into anything big again for a while. i needed to rethink my approach to big stuff.  i had decided to just ditch the leash in 20' plus, but i have a bad heart and my swimming strength isn't what it used to be (i did swim a sub 50 off the wall the other night, so i guess im not that slow, but i am,  whos kidding who). so the really long swims in heavy currents is not what i want to do anymore.  but i had read the waist leash thread and decided to give that a go.

holy new world batman, i sat in the impact zone out at killers one day. i wanted to get past my hiccup and i wanted to see how big i could go with the waist leash.  i sat and took about 15-20 on the head.  It was a powerful day out there, when is it not? haha  it went so well, really. i could simply take an easy breath and slip under the turbulence. the board would be getting the ride of its life and i would just go with the flow. i would V up under water and let the force of the board do the work.  i would take my paddle and use it as well to jet myself up to the surface.  i really have not had to ever swim to the surface while using this waist leash.  i really wont go without it anymore. 

perfect example, i was out the other day and sorta had a bad go of it.  the spit blew my board up in the air and jacked me all up.  it separated my shoulder, and broke in half. the leash tore to shreds and the paddle exploded on my head.  (kids, dont charge barrells in 15' grinding beach break, it will never go as planned).  i got absolutely pounded on the inside.  it was only about 5' deep and it was pushing 15' faces.  i was getting sucked off the sand, pulled over the falls and slammed back into the sand.  hey, at least it put my arm back in its socket. but i couldnt get out of the machine cylce. i would get pushed in, pulled out, slammed, rinse repeat, and slammed again,  did that for 15 waves and decided to get out of there. if my board wouldnt have blown apart i would have been fine, or if i had two arms, that would have helped as well.  but i didnt have that waist leash and board to help my advantage and it sucked. 

thats my 2cents, get yourself a waist leash, go charge,, you will love it

anybody got a board,i now have 4 destroyed boards????hahaha

actually joe just called today, ive got an 8'10 gun coming an 8'11 nose rider.  he said the noserider is the sickest board he has made, we will see.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 10:07:59 PM »
Linter and I want to see that noserider. Pictures man.

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 10:47:42 PM »
yeah me too 8)  joe is heading to cabo next week, so i know it will have to be done by then. he said the glassers where finishing it up so i have my fingers crossed.  ill try to post a picture, i suck at that stuff.  i had him put double leash plugs in all my boards now by the way.  and the funny thing about my boards, they never come back like i order them.  unfortunately joe knows my surfing style better than me,,,like ill ask for an 8'10 by 28" gun.  he made it 8'11 by 29",,he said i was way to fat for that skinny attitude,,hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah  i really love joe, best board shaper and great guy. i think he laughed at my waist leash 8)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 01:04:37 AM »
I'm using a leash hooked to my camelback for downwinders--attaches about the same location as the waist leash. I tried it surfing a few days ago because I wanted to bring my phone. My phone doubles as my wallet and I didn't want to leave my credit cards and license in a sketchy parking lot. Plus having music while I paddled to the outer reef is a plus. It's a coiled leash, which violates my rule about surfing with those things, but it was head high at most, so I wasn't concerned.

I got nailed inside by a little surprise wave, probably 1.5 OH and dragged for a while. Imagine my surprise at finding myself on the surface, zooming along like a rapalla. This is pretty cool, thinks I. I see waist leashes in my future. I hate being dragged endlessly under water, trying to remember which way to angle my paddle to go up. And all that does is got you close to the surface. The waist leash left me right on the surface after The wave went by and the dragging started. Very cool. I don't see a downside.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 01:50:16 AM »
"downside" :) yep. you'll never see that again. not with a waist leash.  just the sunny side 8)

its also nice having the "exit stage right" clip at your waist.   im sure we have all witnessed the video of the near drowning at mav's

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 11:25:29 AM »
Some Zoner Feedback:

Hi Ralph. I used it for 2 hours this morning in head high mushy beach break waves. I wish I had this years ago. It was better in every way to my ankle leash. The pull when I got catch on the way out in a breaking wave seemed less than half and I always seemed to end up on the surface almost right away. I also seemed to lose less ground when caught in the white water. There was also less leash dragging in the water while paddling. I found it comfortable while being dragged and I did not notice it at all while paddling. The only very minor negative that I could think of is the ``D`` ring would sometimes stick out while getting back on the board and it would push into my stomach, although it did not hurt me or the board. Overall I think it is terrific and money well spent. I really appreciate how fast you got it to me to use on my vacation. Thanks very much you have a great product I hope you sell a lot of them.

Glenn
Ralph
Sup-position

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2015, 11:28:55 AM »
seems there is no manufacturer which currently makes a soup-to-nuts waist leash, incl crow haley.

i'd like to try one designed specifically as such.

ralph, i assume, given you are experimenting with an ankle leash rigged onto a belt, there is no such thing as of now.

if you, or anyone, makes one, i will buy/try.

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 11:37:12 AM »
 Ralph, do you have a direct link for ordering your belt?
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 12:08:11 PM »
I'll put it on Oar-on.com

It will be $20.00 + $6.00 Shipping in the USA
Ralph
Sup-position

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 01:07:32 PM »
Generation 2 recommendations:
  • Lose the Steel ring.  Velcro will hold the leash in place as it does with a Crow Haley leash.  Classic engineering less is more.
  • Figure out how to offer a loop, or attachment to the rear of the belt for a line to attach
  • Add a release hoop for emergency removal

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 01:32:33 PM »
I am in the UK.....how does this leash belt system look to you guys? One on this page.

http://www.windsurfer.co.uk/SUP_Leashes.htm

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 02:01:39 PM »
I am in the UK.....how does this leash belt system look to you guys? One on this page.

http://www.windsurfer.co.uk/SUP_Leashes.htm

Looks like a straight nylon mesh belt..no cushion.
I have neoprene in the inside of mine so it is similar to the construction of the leash cuff..
mine has some cush and won't dig in your skin.
I do like the clasp but it might accidentally come loose...

Besho,
I don't disagree with losing the D-Ring for surf
but I think that is up to the user to decide..
Go to Home Depot and use their chain cutter to remove....
Whitewater guys have a pelican hook release...that goes through a ring...
A loop or pull tab is a good idea if you are going to do some heavy surf or streams.

Ralph
Sup-position

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal