Author Topic: EPS foam prices  (Read 7942 times)

SUPBuffalo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
EPS foam prices
« on: March 19, 2015, 05:24:46 AM »
So I've been lurking on here for a few months now getting ready to make my first board, and let me say that this seems like a really great community, good info and great people.

Ok enough of that stuff, my first step of this project was sourcing my EPS, luckily I have found a manufacturer very close to me in western NY, and he quoted me a price of $170 for a block of 1.5 EPS with dimensions of 12'L x 31"W x 7"H. Does this seem like an decent price? And do those dimensions seem right to make  a flat water board floating a 220lb guy?

Thanks for any help. Im sure I'll have more questions along the way, but hopefully between this site, swaylocks, and google, I'll find those questions already answered.

Cheers

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: EPS foam prices
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 07:18:34 AM »
When I've built two 14' boards I could only get it in 8' lengths.  The place I was getting it from starts with a 4'x8' by whatever thickness you want, and cut it to size.  In my case, if asked for 2 8" thick lengths 8' by 27" they would charge me for a two 8'x8"x27" pieces and throw the left over 21" strips away, but charge me for two 4'x8'x8" ones.  So, I ended up ordering one 4'x8'x8" piece and having it cut into a 27 and 21 inch widths.  I then use the wide piece for the middle of the board, and add about 3 feet of 21" wide at either end, since the tips are narrow anyway.  I pay about $110, but if I didn't ask how they price out their stuff and got both pieces 27 inches wide , I would have created lots of waste at the factory and paid twice as much.

This does not exactly apply to your dimensions of the block or the finished board, but its food for thought.  It does seem that you are paying more than I paid north of the border, which is rare, so I wonder if you are being charged for starting from a bigger block with some material just thrown away.  **edit** - maybe with your block 50% longer you are not priced too differently ..........

As for dimensions, I'd say it's best to use a board design program and look at volume or look at specs on boards for sale and their weight recommendations.  Certainly your block is big enough, it just depends how much foam is shaved off of that!

Peter
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 07:26:32 AM by peterwSUPr »

SUPBuffalo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 09:06:31 AM »
   Thanks for the reply. There isn't many options in Buffalo as far as EPS goes, this was the only place I've found that sells large blocks. since I'm building this board for a good summer project and not to save money, I'll probably just go with it. Also I just started working with a shaping program. In no way am I expecting this to be a quick build, more of a learning opportunity. It should be fun.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 10:39:20 AM »
So I've been lurking on here for a few months now getting ready to make my first board, and let me say that this seems like a really great community, good info and great people.

Cheers

Things aren't always what they seem.  8)

With that, welcome to the zone. $170. is what I would pay here on the west coast. My first hand shaped board was from the same size and density foam you got. The 1.5 # is nicer to work with if you hand shape. If you don't add a stringer you can run carbon strips top & bottom as a substitute. If you want a little more width, you can use what you cut off the sides from the nose or tail. Flip the straight edge of the cut off around and Gorilla glue the piece to the mid-rail section. You could easily add an inch or more to either side. If you plan it right, you could add to the length and make it a 12'-6" board no problem.   

Sounds like a good summer project.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

createinquiry

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 11:11:40 AM »
I get my foam from a somewhat local foam manufacturer where I can drive and pick up the blocks... they make the packaging that is used to pack a tv in a box and keep it from shifting around.

For a 12'6" x 29" x 7" block of 1#, my cost was $77.
I also happen to have a quote for the same in 1.5# for $86.

I just checked their site, and they only serve southeast, but I would think there would be something analogous around where you are located.

The $80 difference for the convenience of not having to spend more time looking might just be money well spent.

Take this for what it's worth, keeping in mind that I don't have the experience of 90% of the guys here, but I have learned that you'll have a much better time if you stick to the 1.5# on the first board. It can actually be sanded without tearing entire beads of foam out of the board.

SUPBuffalo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 11:34:18 AM »
Hmm yeah that is a hell of a price difference. Do you have their website? is like to just check it out.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 10:47:27 PM »
If you really search around you can find scraps that you can use. I'm shaping a new board with a piece of 1.5 # EPS foam I got from a building material supplier who cuts exterior architectural foam details. They also build foam buildings for military training. They had a few 4' x 8' x 6" blocks laying around as SCRAP! Free.......  ;D  I like free.
It's not overhead to me!

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 12:14:37 AM »
I'm in Sweden.  Closest place for big blocks of foam is 800km away. So I buy 2x4 ft building insulation blocks and gorilla glue them together.  It's a few hours extra work, and causes some difficulty in shaping over hour lines. But it's all I can get. The carbon stringer works good.

200 lbs and flat water? 14 ft minimum.  I built 16-5 first board. It's fast in flat too flat nose rocker and volume for heavy chop and waves. I've even used it to surf ankle biters.

Have fun.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 11:38:13 AM »
Gorilla Glue, interesting. Would it be possible to glue the EPS together with a colored adhesive like they used to do with polyurethane "glue-ups"?

Cheers

Things aren't always what they seem.  8)

With that, welcome to the zone. $170. is what I would pay here on the west coast. My first hand shaped board was from the same size and density foam you got. The 1.5 # is nicer to work with if you hand shape. If you don't add a stringer you can run carbon strips top & bottom as a substitute. If you want a little more width, you can use what you cut off the sides from the nose or tail. Flip the straight edge of the cut off around and Gorilla glue the piece to the mid-rail section. You could easily add an inch or more to either side. If you plan it right, you could add to the length and make it a 12'-6" board no problem.   

Sounds like a good summer project.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 11:41:27 AM »
Free foam. Great tip and what a score! Do you cut the big foam block into the length and width you want for your blank and then have the rocker cut by a CNC machine or do you cut the rocker yourself?

If you really search around you can find scraps that you can use. I'm shaping a new board with a piece of 1.5 # EPS foam I got from a building material supplier who cuts exterior architectural foam details. They also build foam buildings for military training. They had a few 4' x 8' x 6" blocks laying around as SCRAP! Free.......  ;D  I like free.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
The foam I get from scrap I cut myself. Getto CNC. It's my router with some MDF guides I bend and secure to create the rocker outline the length of the board. Then I use router jigs I made to slide the router side to side. I actually made a few of them with a curves for the various width concave. I used some clear 1/4" acrylic sheets for the jig guide surface, so I could see what I was doing. I built a hot wire, but got really sick using it. Aside from the router, I prefer simple low speed hand tools for shaping. The hand shaped boards are my babies. Born of scrap.
It's not overhead to me!

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 01:34:45 PM »
So cool. I totally dig how good you are at scrounging and coming up with effective and cheap ghetto solutions. You have a lot to offer and there are a lot of us that would appreciate seeing a thread with photos of your ghetto CNC setup. Seriously.  :)

The foam I get from scrap I cut myself. Getto CNC. It's my router with some MDF guides I bend and secure to create the rocker outline the length of the board. Then I use router jigs I made to slide the router side to side. I actually made a few of them with a curves for the various width concave. I used some clear 1/4" acrylic sheets for the jig guide surface, so I could see what I was doing. I built a hot wire, but got really sick using it. Aside from the router, I prefer simple low speed hand tools for shaping. The hand shaped boards are my babies. Born of scrap.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 03:01:32 PM »
Here is a thread I did about 4 years ago. It shows some of my jigs.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,14206.0.html
It's not overhead to me!

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 10:09:29 PM »
I checked it out. Thanks. I assume its kind of a big deal when you want to change the rocker in the box, right?

Here is a thread I did about 4 years ago. It shows some of my jigs.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,14206.0.html

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 10:51:34 PM »
Actually it's super easy to change the rocker. I have the rocker line penciled in on the box wall. All I have to do is just back the screws out, redraw my new rocker line, and screw the flexible MDF guides to the new line. The rocker on the and deck of the board turns out just about CNC perfect. I'm comfortable doing the rails freehand, but I've thought about building a rail jig for my router to be more precise. I just haven't thought it through completely. It would have to have a guide that sat against the rail outline. The jig might have to sit on the board itself? Next board.....
It's not overhead to me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal