Author Topic: When did you start surfing?  (Read 25682 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: When did you start surfing?
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2015, 07:47:45 AM »
There's a point to this question.

Enough time has passed and there have been many reasonable thoughts on the point to the original question. 

For me it's simply a matter of how I personally define surfing.  From the very basics of body surfing my local beach break to surfing my fishing boat through the entrance of my local inlet in a big swell, and everything in between, it's all surfing.  My favorite of all time, surfing a canoe with my wife in Waikiki.

I'd love to hear Daily's point.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2015, 09:46:22 AM »
just remembered.....my first time on a surfboard ended at the hospital.

family drove out of the city to aunt's house in landlocked NY suburbia. at 4 or 5 years old, i idolized my cousins who actually surfed in hawaii. they offered to let me try one of their boards out in their swimming pool. i was running off the diving board, jumping onto the board, cruising into the shallow end, loving it. then we decided to try tandem. upshot is we wiped and the board shot up into the brow bone of my eye and cut me.

my mom said, annoyed, "omg another damned trip to the er". (concussion? who knows?) stitches were once again installed in my head.

for years i proudly identified the scar as from a "surfing accident".
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2015, 10:16:54 AM »
I've been surfing since 1975, and boy are my arms tired.

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2015, 10:45:03 AM »
I've been surfing since 1975, and boy are my arms tired.

Ding, ding ,ding..six freckin pages and we finally get a winner
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2015, 08:50:23 AM »
Sorry for the delay.  I forgot about this thread until someone mentioned it on the DK nose mount thread.

So I'm relatively new to SUP.  I started paddling about 4 yrs ago.  Prior to that I'd been exclusively a prone surfer since I was 12 (i'm 44 now).

I have friends that don't SUP that I surf with and I hear the bitching about the sport.  One of the key arguing points is that SUP is getting NEW people out in the lineups that just started surfing and don't know etiquette nor how to control their board.

So I was curious if this was true, and based upon the replies on this thread most began surfing decades ago. 

In reality, SUP is extending the water time life for older surfers that maybe wouldn't be in the water on a prone board.

Thanks for all the feedback!

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2015, 09:09:37 AM »
Sorry for the delay.  I forgot about this thread until someone mentioned it on the DK nose mount thread.

So I'm relatively new to SUP.  I started paddling about 4 yrs ago.  Prior to that I'd been exclusively a prone surfer since I was 12 (i'm 44 now).

I have friends that don't SUP that I surf with and I hear the bitching about the sport.  One of the key arguing points is that SUP is getting NEW people out in the lineups that just started surfing and don't know etiquette nor how to control their board.

So I was curious if this was true, and based upon the replies on this thread most began surfing decades ago. 

In reality, SUP is extending the water time life for older surfers that maybe wouldn't be in the water on a prone board.

Thanks for all the feedback!

It's a combination of both. 

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2015, 09:54:07 AM »
SUP got me back into surfing, both SUS and prone. Without SUP I would still be windsurfing.
Make paddleboarding great again!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2015, 10:31:56 AM »
SUP got me back into surfing, both SUS and prone. Without SUP I would still be windsurfing.
That's pretty much me, except I quit windsurfing as well. I got into mountain biking. Once I started SUP racing and I got back into surfing, and I almost never ride my mountain bike. Now I'm looking for some used sails too. The mast track in my Nalu has been calling to me....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2015, 10:49:14 AM »
I've enjoyed the thread, a lot of years hanging around here. 

But what your buddies are pointing out is the sad truth. It's not an experienced Zoner(all bkgnds) that's the terror of the lineup.  Give a newbie a 200l+ wide board and they're out there.  They have not a clue, loaded gun with the safety off.

breakbad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2015, 02:54:02 PM »
There should be a step, for people without prior surfing experience, between learning to SUP and learning to SUS. Unfortunately that step doesn't 'readily' exist, and many people who start SUP'n on giant beginner boards eventually catch a couple small waves and get hooked (This was me about 10 months ago, on an 11' NSP element, now on a 8 footer). Next thing you know they are paddling around proners in substantial surf, getting blown up inside, letting their board go, becoming a giant obstacle to surf around and try to avoid. I always SUS'd away from proners as much as possible because I felt awkward. In retrospect, very glad I did. Proners mostly offer stink eye on the water, which is what I would do. If I was having a picnic, and someone in a 4 wheeler starting doing donuts around me, I'd have more than stink eye to offer. Honestly, short boarding, not SUP'n, would be a better prerequisite to SUS'n.

This weekend I surfed at the Poles and the last day it was packed. I've never seen that many surfers, and I was 2-3 parking lots down from the actual 'Poles'. 95% proners. One every 10 feet or so. I was the kook'iest SUS'r out there. Fairly clean, some HH sets coming in. I stayed back, let proners drop inside first (unlike another SUP'r who just took everything). When it was clear I dropped in, and usually 'tried' to kick out 6-8 seconds later when it closed out.  Finding myself inside now, mixed with proners, was a new learning experience. Grabbing the tail pad with both hands, putting downward pressure, and acting like a chute allowed me control my board, recover, and paddle back outside during openings. Many thank to zoners (Pono etc..) for that tip! I still got clobbered by one biggy and couldn't hold on, board came close to one guy. I actually grabbed the leash cord (which I normally don't do)....still wonder if that made the difference.

Other than some mild stink eye, and funny comments ("Yup, that is a surf board"), everyone was really cool and helpful. I respect that.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal