Author Topic: 2015 paddle length for racing, downwind and allround fitness  (Read 9021 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
As this seems to change every year here is a thread for this years trends.

The generally accepted paddle length for race seems to have been steadily declining. What are we at now? Is height plus 10% about  the norm?

But what about downwind. Before we heard go a little longer for downwinders. Has this come down too? Is race height becoming acceptable for downwinds?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2015 paddle length for racing, downwind and allround fitness
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 03:41:38 PM »
Yes.. yes.. yes..  :)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 04:31:46 PM »
As this seems to change every year here is a thread for this years trends.

The generally accepted paddle length for race seems to have been steadily declining. What are we at now? Is height plus 10% about  the norm?

But what about downwind. Before we heard go a little longer for downwinders. Has this come down too? Is race height becoming acceptable for downwinds?
I don't downwind like the island boys but my race/distance/workout paddle is 78" (I'm 6'0) so just under that 10%. Surf paddles are at my forehead now.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 09:46:59 AM »
I'm down from 82" to 79" on my downwind blade for my 6' frame.  Feels perfect.  My 17 Bullet is about 6" thick.  Board thickness is a big part of this equation.  You could go shorter but as you go in that direction you need to be sure you have a young strong back.  My 64 yr old back isn't feeling so young.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 11:36:07 AM »
^ 10%

I’m hearing you guys but then a [racer] buddy comes back from [NorthernH] winter training in Tahiti w GeorgeC and crew and has gone  up from +11%, or so, to 13% or 14%.

Wassup with that?

I'm confused but get that a shorter paddle helps an up-front higher-cadence. I'm think of cutting to +10%. If nothing else just for those upwind sessions would justify it.

atlanticsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 01:29:32 PM »
The more I paddle the less sure I become. Certainly I notice for my 6'1"/73" (and talking specifically about downwinding), the difference between a 83" and 82" is amazing, and I still cannot get my head around the very noticeable improvement going from a 83" to 82" paddle. My mind says there should not be such an improvement but there is - it feels I can paddle so much more powerfully.

Am reluctant to go to 81" though as there is no turning back but am tempted.

I also think to long a paddle is certainly a quick way to develop rotator cuff problems, though I do notice some shorter paddlers seem to be able to get away with relatively longer paddles than me.
naish glide (2011) 14', sic bullet 17'4" (currently use), naish maliko 14', coreban dart pro 14' (currently use)

Coreban Longboard style SUP 9'6" custom, Signature 3D custom 7'8

think evo I, Fenn Swordfish S (currently use)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 05:16:52 AM »
Yes, even one inch can make a considerable difference. It makes it very awkward when you have many boards you switch between and that vary greatly in their thickness. I have 15 SUP boards so I am tending now towards having different paddles for different boards. I'm being forced to do that because even one inch too long tends to strain my shoulders, and one inch too short strains my back. This is getting expensive! Fortunately however, many brands seem to be now using some kind of sunken deck which is lessening the problem a bit.

And before anyone suggests an adjustable, I don't trust adjustable paddles in critical situations. Just this week I had one disassemble itself in my hands when I was a mile offshore, which was irritating.

And yes, I already have two Ke Nalus. But I'm not going to be getting a hairdryer out everytime I want to change boards. So please let's not turn this thread into another Ke Nalu pimpfest!

bretrwarner

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 09:20:37 AM »
For what its worth, my race paddle, that is also my downwind paddle because I don't downwind enough(If I was an emoji fan there would be a sad face here) to have a separate paddle for it is 79" and I am 6'2". This is definitely on the short end, but I am super happy with it.

bretrwarner

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 09:21:05 AM »
For what its worth, my race paddle, that is also my downwind paddle because I don't downwind enough(If I was an emoji fan there would be a sad face here) to have a separate paddle for it is 79" and I am 6'2". This is definitely on the short end, but I am super happy with it.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 10:46:26 AM »
I'm finding myself bending my knees more lately to put weight on the paddle and to save my back. Shorter paddle lengths also save my shoulders. Shortened my Konihi by 1/4" and put less effort in reaching, and its all good now, shoulders feel fine.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 04:28:02 PM »
Konihi's are crazy sensitive to length. When I got my Bullet 17 V1 back the first time I paddled it my paddle felt strange. Like it was heavy. I started paying attention to how deep I was sinking it, and discovered The shoulder was out of the water about 1/2". So I leaned over a little more and made sure to get it in the water, and it felt better, but when I'd forget about it I'd get that heavy, low power feel again. Since it was just 1/2 of shoulder I decided to go 3/4" longer. Made a huge difference. Paddle feels light, power back to normal.

I always think the V2 is thicker than the V1, but either the deck drop is greater, or the middle of the board is lower, but that's all it took.

You also want to be sure to get the handle precisely in line with the blade. If it's off even a little bit it will torque the shaft and feel funny. They won't pull crooked--you can't make them do that with a pipe wrench, so they twist your upper hand.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Twitchy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 05:19:55 PM »
I guess I'm in the minority with my 17% paddles ;D  I'm 69" and my paddles are 81".  It's pretty much as high as I can reach and still palm the grip.  I played with adjustable paddles long enough to figure out that's what feels best for me.  I even use that length for surfing with no issues. 

I have a bad back so the longer paddles help. 
14' Niash Javelin MC
9'6" JL B&B
9'2" NSP Cocomat-beater board
7'4" Starboard Pro

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 06:24:58 PM »
My racing length is 90" and my surfing length is 85". I'm 79" tall so the 12% race, 7% surf.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal