Author Topic: Volume on your big wave SUP  (Read 10676 times)

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Volume on your big wave SUP
« on: March 06, 2015, 02:37:58 PM »
So it seems like a lot of guys are pushing the volume of their high performance surf sups down to near neutral levels. Seems like they are having a lot of fun on waves up to about a couple of feet over head high, but I curious to know how they are working on bigger waves.

For those of you out there on low volume boards, do you take them out on double head high days? If not, how much more volume does your 'big wave' board have? Do you think a big wave board needs to have more volume, or can it stay the same if you get the shape right?

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Volume on your big wave SUP
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 06:10:01 PM »
97 liters and I'm 200 lbs

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 11:55:09 AM »
So at 225 lbs I surf 120L 7'0" Sim style board on small days and a 145L 10'6  gun on the big days that I'm looking to replace. Not sure if I want something similar or if I want to go down to something closer to 120L but with a more gun type outline.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 12:48:42 PM »
I don't do really big waves often but do go out in DOH when the conditions and crowds are right. There is always a lot of water moving around I feel much better on a larger board. My 9 x 30 x 4 works fine. If I did ride DOH more often, I'd get a gun in the 9'6" range.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 01:02:37 PM »
Around here a lot depends on the wind. If we have another winter like this one I'll be dusting off my old 10' X 29" because it doesn't blow off the waves. I don't have the balance to feel good on big waves with shorter boards. You need to make the wave you go for. I do too much wobbling around for that. Miss a good DOH and you've moved 50 feet inwards, which means big brother is gonna land on your head. No time for wobbling.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 10:33:52 PM »
Around here a lot depends on the wind. If we have another winter like this one I'll be dusting off my old 10' X 29" because it doesn't blow off the waves. I don't have the balance to feel good on big waves with shorter boards. You need to make the wave you go for. I do too much wobbling around for that. Miss a good DOH and you've moved 50 feet inwards, which means big brother is gonna land on your head. No time for wobbling.

I hear you one the wind this winter, its been bad on Oahu too. More and more these days if its double overhead *and* windy I just pass. My 10'6 has always been great for getting on waves, but once I'm on it, I find myself often wishing I had something that could turn just a little more.

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 06:23:41 AM »
Big brother commin.  Definitely a wave you want to make. I put a huge premium on success vs slash. Also speed vs greed. 
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 07:25:58 AM »
My big wave board is a 9'8 x 29 carbon wave pro. I ride it when my 8'2 gets to sketchy up to when I get
to scared.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 08:07:39 AM »
10-5  28 3/4  4 1/2      Don't know the exact liters but it's enough.

Mobility to stay out of trouble and the guarantee of an early and easy entry. 

One thing I've learned this winter is to get out on the specialty board more often.
If I wait for the rare big day I don't use the board enough for that familiar feel.
Gotta use it more when it's smaller.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 05:32:20 PM »
113 liters at 225lbs means almost always late drops.

If I had a big budget I'd have another board at least 8'6 and another 20 liters.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 06:11:46 PM »
My new board that I shaped for bigger daze is 120. Bigger waves have more power so you don't really need a lot of volume as it will just work against you once you're in. When you're proning and coming off a tiny board for small waves THEN you need to up volume but for SUP we already have too much volume for wave riding.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 06:29:45 AM »
This is something I've been working on figuring out for years.

Most "Big days" in the Northeast aren't the long period heavy groundswell perfectly clean and predictable moving hills or mountains of water you Pacific surfers see.

Generally, a big (Atlantic) day can be anything over head and a half plus (just to put a number on it...) of violent and unforgiving fast pitching slab with the accompanying "washing machine" of confused moving water...heavy chop and whitewater with lots of wind.

At my size 6'4" around (+ or -) 200 lbs I need to go wider than 30" to compensate for the conditions at the expense of the much needed and necessary SPEED to catch waves and make sections.

I've learned volume is not as important as long as it's not TOO MUCH volume which makes a board corky and unstable in spite of width. For me, depending on plan shape 130-135 seems like the magic number.

Length around 9'6" plus.

And I have not yet found the perfect board.Maybe I'm headed for custom.

Suggestions?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 06:38:02 AM by Ake G »

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 03:17:11 PM »
I think for those of us on the far end of the size curve, custom boards are going to be a must. Production 'guns' are running smaller and smaller.

Starboard's current Gun is a 9'6 at 117L

Naish's is a 9'10 at 120L

Not sure if there is anyone currently producing something bigger. At 225 lbs, I think I could paddle those boards and catch waves with them, what I'm not sure about is if they are going to give me enough glide to get on a big wave.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 07:10:40 PM »

This is a great big wave board!  12 foot PSH gun.  They don't make em anymore but will get you in early and hold on the wave when you want it to.  I love mine!  I use it for large surf, fishing, fitness paddling and in small mushy surf when I want to get into the wave really early.  The nose and tail are really thin and 28 3/4 across.  The volume is around 170 ish?  After five years into this sup surfing it's the one board I won't sell!  In large surf I just want to make it down the face, get to the bottom and make the wave.  This 12 footer PSH works marvoulous! 

Those Makaha surfboards on Ohau look really good.  I bet he coiuld shape you a nice big wave gun type board.

Let us know what works for you as I'm always interested on what works for others in medium to large surf.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 11:58:50 AM »
What's this "Big wave" and "DOH" you speak of?  Around these parts, if we can get a foot or two OH we're giddy, giggly, and skipping to the water like a bunch of teenage girls on their way to a Justin Bieber concert....

And for those days, I leave my 7'8"x 30" - 119 liter Sims-shape Retro on the beach, and grab my 8'5"x 29" - 109 liter Chelu, just to have the feel of a little more board under me.  That board also really likes stuff that size, but doesn't work as well on the smaller, mushy SanO stuff, so I dust it off when it gets a little bit bigger out there, just to justify to myself on why I'm keeping it.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:27:26 PM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal