Author Topic: Car/truck Roof Rack  (Read 2384 times)

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Car/truck Roof Rack
« on: March 05, 2015, 01:52:21 PM »
I am having to add a rack on the roof of my Tundra pickup. I don't necessarily want to add a bed rack because I have a Diamond Back HD tonneau cover on the bed. It is not compatible with an over-bed rack.

So I am going to install one on the roof.

My #1 priority is it cannot whistle in the wind. #2 is that it holds surfboards. #3 is that it doesn't cost so much I can't buy another surfboard for this summer.

I am considering the Thule and Yakima (square and round) roof systems that just attach to the roof by the door.

Is there a better system? Should I look at the more streamlined bars instead of the round and square ones?

Seems like the round and square bars can be used for more options. I don't plan on buying any of the special attachments for holding a surfboard, I will just add pads and tie them down.

Make paddleboarding great again!

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Car/truck Roof Rack
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 02:04:48 PM »
Had Yakima round bars and Thule squares, and now I buy Thule Aeros.  Wind noise is about 30% of the normal bars at freeway speed, almost not noticeable...unless you're ears are far better than mine.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 07:11:04 PM »
My #1 priority is it cannot whistle in the wind.

A wind fairing might help reduce noise.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

SUPvol

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 11:34:20 AM »
+1 Bump - I'd like to hear reviews or thoughts also as I am looking at adding the same to my Tacoma double cab.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 01:29:30 PM »
The aero bars have all the attachments that the other bars do, but they go into a center groove.  Both Yakima and Thule make the aero bars and if wind noise is number 1 issue, don't mess with the other options.  I've found the Thule version to be the most stable and substantial of all my previous racks.  I've had 3 medium to large boards up top with no issues whatsoever.

We have them on a Mazda 3 that gets about 40 MPG with nothing up top.  We get about 38 MPGg when schlepping 2 boards.  Gas mileage is our No. 1 priority, and our momentary dip into the mid two dollar range is long gone now.  I just paid 3.50/gallon on my fill up this morning.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 07:01:37 PM »
I have Rhino racks with aero bars on my car. Rock solid and pretty quiet. I was always a bit nervous with them at 1st but they've been on there for 2 years now and they feel just as secure as the t-racs on my Taco.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 10:20:08 AM »
The fairing for my Yakima rack (round rails) reduced wind noise to a comfortable level,  even at fast highway speeds.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal