Author Topic: Snow Shoveling Technique Similiar to Paddling  (Read 2797 times)

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Snow Shoveling Technique Similiar to Paddling
« on: March 05, 2015, 07:44:51 AM »
OK,

Been doing a lot of shoveling (NJ/PA) not as much as our buddies in Boston Area but enough to get me thinking.
I use big Feed Shovels (my father in law gave me years ago) and they pick up large heavy loads nicely. But as I'm getting old my shoulders are feeling more each year (This year each snow storm) and the last one (yesterday) was heavy and wet. Shoulder wasn't feeling it 1/2 way through the drive way. So I went and got a smaller shovel ....
ALL BETTER.
My paddles have all seemed to migrate to 84" and I never have and shoulder issues either in the surf or flatwater.
I love my KeNalu Konihi 84 for both flatwater 6" over my head and surf 2" over my head.
This past Christmas I spent it with my family in San Clemente (Where my son and his wife live along with a bunch of my SUP stuff) Since my SUP stuff out in CA was older (a year or 2) I have a 95" (Maliko Blade) I noticed it giving me "a bit more resistance" in flatwater and surf. Although cutting back in the surf when I planted it on the first wave I was "un-cerimonialy" catapulted off the board/wave. But that is another story

So the question is... Has anybody else equated Snow shoveling with Paddling stroke
One more thing unlike Creek I use snow boots to shovel snow Not Explorer Wetsuit boots

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Snow Shoveling Technique Similiar to Paddling
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 08:26:51 AM »
Jim, interesting that you are only 6" overhead with such a long blade, can you still easily bury it? I followed Lane's advice to use the same shaft length when switching to Konihi from the shorter blades which put it 9" overheard, longest paddle i ever used, still dialing it in though. I'm the only one on my block with a snow shovel and it's been years since I used it...
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 10:52:15 AM »
I saw Jim Terrell recently suggesting 10% over body height (flatwater). I think it’s a better way to think about it instead of in inches. Obviously as a starting point. The other thing I always wonder is why we don;t speak of the length of shaft to the beginning of the blade - since some blades are longer than others. After all the point is to fully bury the blade in the water. 

I think I’m ready to lob another inch off my paddle.

But to answer your question on shovels: maybe it is similar to paddling in that the answer is totally dependent on the conditions. I have a huge quiver of shovels. I live above a ski run and I literally put skis on right at the door. So you can imagine I spend winter mornings shoveling.

It depends on the snow. Heavy wet snow you need a small shovel. Winter powdery snow you can use a huge blade. For just slightly wet snow, or worse, snow that is wet underneath then got colder (overnight) snow on top you need a plastic shovel. A metal shovel in those conditions gets snow frozen to it and ends up being a big heavy clump. Plastic is good for the huge blades to keep it light. Then you need a good steel shovel for when it comes to breaking up ice.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:57:50 AM by yugi »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 05:38:46 PM »
The other thing I always wonder is why we don;t speak of the length of shaft to the beginning of the blade - since some blades are longer than others. After all the point is to fully bury the blade in the water. 

We also have to keep in mind that the tip of the paddle has to clear the top deck when we change sides.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 06:08:31 PM »
C'mon Jim, ease up. 
Between those wetsuit boots and his Tinkerbell tights, 'Creek can stay warm all day long!
 ;D ;D
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 08:05:12 PM »
Damn!....just finished shoveling another 6+ inches....this really sucks. I hope we don't get a quick warm up. Flooding will be horrendous.

You need a quiver. Every year I take the various plastic snow shovels, a couple steel shovels, and an ice chipper out of my shed and put them on my deck next to the side door. All of them will get use at some point.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 09:20:45 PM »
yes JimK.... if you shovel with your Wiki, it will be easier on your shoulders.....

and.... it is true: Explorer boots are great snow boots

I did some cross training today as well.
Shovel
Paddle
Shovel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal