Author Topic: YUM  (Read 6325 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
YUM
« on: March 04, 2015, 11:40:49 AM »
After seeing the fabulous-looking black/white graphic combo on DJs board I ordered three packs of RSPro--one for my Foote production and two for my custom footies. I got the standard size instead of the narrower surfboard size because:
A. I'm an enthusiastic rail whacker
B. I thought it would look better.

The Foote has a complex rail--deeply dropped and curved slightly tighter than the bottom rocker. The RSPro had to conform to a radical three dimensional surface. I don't think standard tapes would have done it without a wrinkle.

I also had to lay it down and pull it up multiple times to get it right. You can't do that with other tapes. They either leave part of their adhesive on the board, pull up paint chips, or just wont stick the second time. I have NO idea how this strange adhesive works, but I repositioned the tape five times on one side and eight on the other, and I dropped the tape onto my wet garage floor (raining like mad in Haiku) and it still worked perfectly. Weird stuff, but wow.

I cheated the tape down a little to clear the rail logo, and back up to have the gap I wanted to the pinstripe. The RSP three-dimensional flex made that easy. I sound like a shill for RSPro. I've paid retail for every inch. I just like it a lot.

I love the way it looks. The fuzzy cellphone picture doesn't do it justice. It makes the carbon fiber on the tail just pop, and just looks so very damned right. Not a bubble or a wrinkle anywhere. It looks like it grew on the rail.

Yum.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:52:07 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: YUM
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 11:57:05 AM »
ive used clear, but it's the best rail tape by a long shot. havent ridden my simsup much this winter, and it's got a bit a bit of life left in the naish tape on it. soon as it wears a bit i will have rsp on all my boards. pricey, but totally effective, and shows little to no sign of wear despite my whacking.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 12:19:32 PM »
The tape on my bullet V2 is more than three years old and there's one tiny nick that's probably from it hitting exposed metal on my canoe rack. Given the kind of treatment I give my boards, it's a minor expense to save a major expense.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eeck62

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 01:33:05 PM »
Bill,
Thank you for you numerous RSPro ravings.  I decided to pick up a roll of clear this past fall (from the Blue Planet shop on Oahu).  I had purchased a new, last last years model, Jimmy Lewis Stun Gun 8'2" and decided to protect my investment.  After six months with RSPro I won't use anything else.  The only advice, noted in one of your previous posts which I didn't heed, is to sand the edges to prevent ankle or shins cuts.  Great stuff and I like the clear since I didn't want to change the clean look of the board !
Me:  6'1" x 180
Board(S): Axis foils: HPS 980, BSC 740, 810, ART 899, 999
Jimmy Lewis Wing Board 4’10” x 23 x 71L
Rawson 7’8” x 26”
Jimmy Lewis Stun Gun 8'2" x 28.3/4 x 99L
Naish Hokua 8'5" x 28 x 115L

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 01:35:54 PM »
Looks great.  I go with the clear because I don't trust my artistic tendencies.

I have some bubbles in my RSP, but don't really care as long as the edges are well sealed.  I guess a hair drier and a credit card could work them out if I ever got ambitious.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 02:40:39 PM »
Actually if you squeeze them down to the smallest space they'll go to, and prick them with a sewing needle you can get rid of them quickly.

Sanding the edges is a good idea still, though I've noticed that the new tape seems a little more rounded on the edges. I still do it though.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 04:50:06 AM »
ok pb--you steered right on the tape--we'll see re the iris--jury's still out, given the cold and snow here--partner (business partner, that is--got a wife, not that there's anything wrong with wives!) hasn't flown the damned thing since Christmas--battery's charged, just need dry ground to fly from--buyer's remorse research says it's a great bird, but i want it in the air

maybe i'll post a video of it shooting video
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 06:51:22 AM »
RSP.... they look great, every board seems sexier with the RSP on them....BUT

I don't need them where they cover. I would have to cut them in half and cover the front and tail rails only. I don't need them in the middle, and I doubt that they would protect if I used the standard application layout.

I smack the very front of my board as I turn and dig for a wave. The tail gets deep smacks when I make desperate corrections to avoid falling in.
Like....whoa! flail the paddle back to stabilize.... and chop a hole in the paint.
The middle appears untouched by my particular style  ;D

any chance they have a special design for serial beaters with similar MO?

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 07:16:09 AM »
Creek,

All I can say is TECHNIQUE

Enough said
JimK

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 07:44:22 AM »
Me too creek. You'll notice how far forward my RSPro is on the surfboard. The downwind boards are different--I don't smack the nose on those so much (if at all, I can't really reach them). I use the full size, not the narrow, and I start it well forward. The tape is long enough to cover most of the tail area too. I still manage to smack the unprotected rail at the tail, but for me those marks are few and come off with magic eraser. This particular board has carbon on the tail rails and the clear epoxy over the rails seems pretty bulletproof. But that's a 10'4". I'm doing my 9.0 today, and the tape will cover everywhere I smack. Picture that orange board with 1'4" less of tail. The trick is to start where the beatings start on the nose  and have a short enough board.

Most real damage to my rails is not from paddle whacks, its from banging the board in parking lots, or setting it on it's rail. or dropping it. The RSP cushions those bangs and protects the surface. In all my stumbling around I've never visibly damaged the stuff. can't say that for painted rails.

As far as technique being the answer,  I have enough things to worry about when I'm surfing or downwinding. With my geezer balance and modest skill, trying to not hit the rails is one factor too many. They need to take care of themselves.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:49:11 AM by PonoBill »

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 08:49:54 AM »
I used to be a fan of helicopter tape (cheap!!) until I installed RSP on my SIC. Mo bettah in every way!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 09:56:15 AM »
I recently put some clear RSP on my new gleaming white Stun Gun. At first I was a little concerned about the textured surface having a negative hydrodynamic affect but I tend to over think things. I'm glad to see everyone is liking it.

The clear offsets the color of the white making the gloss look a little drab due to the texture. It's no big deal but now I'm wondering if the black might look better.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:17:13 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 10:17:48 AM »
I'm not a rail banger but do have it on my JP Surf Wide Body and my wife's Mana. It is helpful when I want to lay the board on edge or in transport where I can get a little clumsy. My wife (seems to) like to hammer on her rails so glad I put RSP on her board.

Creek you could get the rail saver pro extreme...it's a little narrower and has one end with a nice die cut bevel so you can put two strips back to back clean and seamlessly. Or maybe you could just stop hitting the rail. ;D

I Love Rail Saver Pro from Barcelona!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 10:50:31 AM »
I used to be a fan of helicopter tape (cheap!!) until I installed RSP on my SIC. Mo bettah in every way!

Wow, it would be pretty tough to get a better color combo.

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 11:01:52 AM »
Creek, What's to keep you from cutting the RSP in half and installing it where you hit the board most? 
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal