Author Topic: Technique tips for choppy surf conditions  (Read 12866 times)

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Technique tips for choppy surf conditions
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 01:43:01 PM »
I have a 9-6 Allwave and if I can't stand up on it because of chop I usually come in to the beach to sober up.

Some days around here, we get some really rugged conditions, I imagine along the lines of OBSF. Often it seems like you are standing on one of those shake tables they use to create earthquake simulations. On those days I just give up and grab a long board, way easier to not fall off laying on your belly.
Make paddleboarding great again!

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 02:54:34 PM »
Check out entire thread New Balancing Act - slack line  Dec 26, 2013 for a variety of dry land crazy things that actually help enormously which was started by wetstuff'.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 03:04:17 PM »
SC, the guy standing in front of your cam at 1:22, and your reaction out in the lineup, is hilarious!
lol, yea, that's why I put it in my vid!  ;D
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 03:07:24 PM »
My displacement board has the outline that PB discribed for your 29" board.  When I step back to do bouy turns in flat water, even just a little, I'm really unstable.  I rescently paddled a fuller bodied board of the same width.  I almost laughed when I stepped back, because I was so stable.
Just because the 29" is faster doesn't make it more efficient, if you are having trouble staying balanced.

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 03:45:54 AM »
in my quest for the smallest board that can still be fun (i.e., not falling all the time), i've learned that if a board tires me out today, it will most likely tire me out a year from now. yes, practice will make you a bit better on it, but that board ultimately has to be my 'glassy condition' board. sub-30" wide boards are out of the question for me, but there are plenty of above 31" wide boards that have a ton of performance. why ruin/shorten your sessions just because there's a bit of chop, especially if don't get out often?

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 04:40:12 AM »
if i cant stand on my starby 9'6 WP, it's capping so much begs question why i paddled out at all. very stable for my 6'2" 200lb carcass.

get a goof board--not kidding. great balance developer, and leg/core strengthener, and fun to mess around on. got one here at my office, along with dumbells to slow age atrophy of my weak arms. only bad on the goofboard is they seem more expensive than they shd be, given materials, etc.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 06:18:25 AM »
Yea, the Goofboard is great!

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 06:56:26 AM »
Cook
I second bean that was funny with the guy standing in front of the camera FUNNY

wave sailor
The balance skills are all "Helpful but won't solve your balance problem completely
(As much as I hate to say it you need another board)
The Converse is 130L but requirers active ridding (pumping)
The PRO is 118L which seems below your "Tipping Point" (to use a phrase)

There are alot of great boards that will be stable and loose and fast

JP Widebody 8'8 would be a great choice
Fanatic AW 8'3 or 8'5 these are loose and fast but also have a nice cruise factor (for boards this size) Best everyday boards (Makes Everyday conditions FUN)

takes a little technique gettng these wider boards rail to rail but practice this is easy and fun.
I'm sure lots of folks will pop in with the other brands and they probably work too I just know these boards

If I can be of any further insight feel free to PM or email me

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 10:50:24 AM »
Everything mentioned + keep your eyes on the horizon.  Don't look at chop as it's coming for you.  Your body will go where your eyes look, if you look down, you're probably going to go for a swim.   

+1 What Jay says.    -Base your balance on the horizon not the water surface   -Imagine the center of the board as a tight wire and keep your center of balance over it   -Brace with your paddle to correct for off-balance, don't rely on your board.    -Knees slightly bent   -Semi surf stance    -Stance pretty narrow side to side, fairly wide front to back 

This is what helps me on my tippy boards.  My tippiest being 8'3 X 28"
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:52:36 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 11:00:02 AM »
Paddle skills. Be a paddle ninja. It's your 3rd leg.

Bending over to reach the water with your short-shaft surf blade is NOT more stable.

Using a paddle long enough to stay planted, while you're in a good stable head up stance, is most stable.

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 11:03:22 AM »
I thought you just gotta power through the sucky phase, and you just magically get good.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 11:04:12 AM »
Feet closer to the centerline of the board is critical in chop. Your head tells you to do the opposite: Brace the rails. But unless your balance is amazing your compensation will cause more instability. The board isn't tipping over--it doesn't need to be braced to stay upright, it's your body that's falling. If you move your feet closer to the centerline your board will bounce you around less.

It's not often that I disagree with DW, but here I do. 2 to 3 inches shorter than your flatwater paddle isn't short. A lot of surfers have their paddles at about head high these days. Stability is a big part of the reason why. You are not as stable when you're reaching one arm up, and a long paddle encourages you to stand up straight. Try shorter. But DON'T lean forward to plant your paddle. Your head is a big weight wobbling around on the end of a stick. Bend your knees, look where you want to go. Easy thing to say for a guy that looks like a cigar store Indian standing on his board, but you probably don't have my knees if you're trying to master an unstable board.

But mostly, try a board that works for you, not against you.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 12:00:43 PM »
I use a shorter paddle on my short board simply because I'm bending my knees more and have a less buoyant board under my feet.  I try to keep my head-up, back straight...if I don't, my lower back pays big time.

sailwave

• HMB - OB surf patrol
  • Waikiki Status
  • HMB - OB surf patrol
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 04:49:34 PM »
Just to wrap this up with some feedback on the tips I got from this thread.  I went out yesterday at Linda Mar in choppy conditions. These tips helped me the most  in descending order: eyes on the horizon, feet closer together, knees bent more.  I was surprised how much they helped, thanks all!  :) :) :)
185 lb, 5' 10"
Starboard 9' Pro  (windsup option)
Mistral Pacifico Wave 11' (windsup option)
Starboard 8'5" Pocket Rocket (windsup option)
Naish Hover Crossover 7'4" (windfoil, wingfoil, SUP foil, SUP)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 05:41:22 PM »
Cool!  Glad we could help.  Here's another:  If you feel yourself starting to go over, bend your knees a lot, half way into a squat.  While you are down like that, brace aggressively with your paddle.   This helps tremendously because it lowers your center of gravity briefly and makes the bracing work more.  Once you are balanced again, straighten back up.  I have saved myself from a fall countless times by doing this.  Today I was out on my short, tippy board in bumpy, garbage surf and did this a number of times.  Works like a charm.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal