Author Topic: Flat water practice for the surf?  (Read 9148 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Flat water practice for the surf?
« on: March 02, 2015, 11:48:37 AM »
any of y'all practicing stuff on flat water that is directly applicable to the surf?  i recall ponobill saying he walks on  his board and said he'd post a video but, afaik, the vid never got posted or made.  in the meantime, here's what the gong topdog can do:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s_wmxh5LOM.   in his world, it's known as freestyle sup'ing and as usual, he's amazing.

but for us mere mortals, anyone attempting this and have any starting-out suggestions and/or tips?

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Flat water practice for the surf?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 11:58:16 AM »
That's awesome!  Forget SUPyoga--that's like SUPP90X.

Gives me all kinds of ideas for things to do when I'm bored.  So much skill development to be had here.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

sterbo

• Malibu Status
  • sailordog...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 03:12:23 PM »
Sure, that's cool. But not that big a deal. Just time and practice.
And I'll bet his office floor is littered with the edited film, which of course resulted in his seamless acrobatics.
 8)
Frankly it would be cool of him (and a helpful instructional to those looking to learn the dance) to put together a separate version with the floor strewn edits just showing all these same moves filmed which  he didn't pull off.

Seriously, the best way to learn is by seeing and understanding what doesn't work along with what does...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 03:14:45 PM by sterbo »

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 03:17:22 PM »
FYI there r some out takes and spills at the end

sterbo

• Malibu Status
  • sailordog...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 03:27:19 PM »
Saw those but they're similar, repetitive and not at all what I am referring to.

That said, I appreciate you posting this. Always great to see stuff like this, even if it's only one half of the equation  ;)

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 03:28:54 PM »
Frankly it would be cool of him (and a helpful instructional to those looking to learn the dance) to put together a separate version with the floor strewn edits just showing all these same moves filmed which  he didn't pull off.

Seriously, the best way to learn is by seeing and understanding what doesn't work along with what does...

Actually, I don't think there's that much to teach. He's cross-stepping and changing direction on his board; he knows the board's tipping point and the extent of his balance. Practice, practice, practice…   
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Flat water practice for the surf?
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 03:34:50 PM »
Let me ask u guys this.  You all make it sound like you have done this and can do this. Is that the case?  Or is it more a matter of knowing you could do it if you practiced long enough and wanted to do it?  In other words, I am reminded of self proclaimed writers I have met who have never written a word.  Their feeling is, How hard could it be? All you have to do is practice, practice, practice.  Feel free to correct me if I am wrong :-).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 03:38:54 PM by linter »

sterbo

• Malibu Status
  • sailordog...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 04:21:34 PM »
Let me ask u guys this.  You all make it sound like you have done this and can do this. Is that the case?  Or is it more a matter of knowing you could do it if you practiced long enough and wanted to do it?  In other words, I am reminded of self proclaimed writers I have met who have never written a word.  Their feeling is, How hard could it be? All you have to do is practice, practice, practice.  Feel free to correct me if I am wrong :-).

Hmm, a bit cynical?

Let's see.
I moved aboard a 68 foot gaff rigged schooner when I was 4 hours old. Started sailing the world's oceans when I was 3 months old. For those who have ever spent time sailing, especially long term out at sea, they know well how critical it is to learn some pretty crazy footwork - or else :(
Neptune was a great taskmaster for sure.

I started surfing when I was five. My first wave was on a 6' 8" balsa board in the shore break - north side of Malibu Pier. Pearled and ate a mouthful of sand. Practice, practice, practice, and then some.

Oh, and I'm a builder. For years when I was framing my fellow carpenters and I used to spend endless hours walking the tall wall's 2x4 / 2x6 top plates, and of course 1 1/2" joists and rafters with a hammer and high torque worm-drive. Anywhere from 8 ft to 40 feet in the air. No harness. Never fell.

Ha, yea I'd say my footwork has improved a bit over the last 7 decades.

That help?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 04:34:03 PM by sterbo »

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 04:45:46 PM »
I am just starting to do some of this "board dervishing".  I think it is helpful in getting your feet to learn a sensory map of the board's interface with the water for those like me who lack a lot of water balance innate skills, or who didn't have lifelong practice.

People who have spent a lot of time on boats with the movements and counter movements have a head start in SUP balance.  My neighbor is an example, his balance was honed not just by surfing in his life but by spending years on boats and sailing.

People who have done things all their lives can take so much for granted and are often out of touch with how hard, counter intuitive and difficult things like water balance can be for new learners.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 02:17:19 PM »
sterbo: by my reckoning 7 decades of practice disqualifies you for "mere mortal" status, as stipulated in my OP, consequently any statements positing the video flashwork as being not that big a deal must be met with a jaundiced if not cynical eye.

SUPcheat: you are so right about all of that. 

sterbo

• Malibu Status
  • sailordog...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 03:07:50 PM »
LOL, Point taken.

Thanks linter

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 10:00:44 PM »

Can I do this? Absolutely. F'ing. Not. Oh how I wish I could, I'd be so much more confident on my board. What I said was that I don't see instructional value to what he's doing. His skill level is exceptional, but the movements are basic. If you see some high tech wiggle that calls for ten minutes of dissection you have better eyesight than I do.

Do I think everyone can learn to freestyle on their SUP? Yes, to some degree. Like any other sport, you'll have a number of people who aim for a skillset that allows them to simply enjoy it, and you'll have others who want to be masters of it. What someone accomplishes depends on how much effort they want to dedicate to it.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 11:21:50 PM »
I am just starting to do some of this "board dervishing".  I think it is helpful in getting your feet to learn a sensory map of the board's interface with the water for those like me who lack a lot of water balance innate skills, or who didn't have lifelong practice.

People who have spent a lot of time on boats with the movements and counter movements have a head start in SUP balance.  My neighbor is an example, his balance was honed not just by surfing in his life but by spending years on boats and sailing.

People who have done things all their lives can take so much for granted and are often out of touch with how hard, counter intuitive and difficult things like water balance can be for new learners.

Agreed.  Are you familiar with bracing techniques?  A good brace, once it becomes automatic, goes a long way in keeping you dry when you lose your balance. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z3xQZ-48WY

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 09:56:52 AM »
Good vid to resurrect. I've done a little of it...not so much anymore (though I should). Be prepared to fall often if you do it as aggressively as Patrice in the video. Obviously you can get better at just about anything with practice but there are limitations for each of us. I could practice everyday for years and not be able to do it like that. I practiced a lot of step back turns and tombstoning the board in flatwater the first couple of years. Oftentimes in the middle of my training/distance paddles I'd spend 10 or 15 mins moving around the board to both wake up my feet and get some practice...it definitely helped me but doesn't show unfortunately.

BTW....I've think seen more falls and wipeouts in Gong instructional vids than all the other manufacturers combined. They tend to keep it real and have fun with it.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 10:41:43 AM »
My SUP surfboards are shorter and not longboard-style but moving around is still necessary from time to time. Am I good at it? No. I try to avoid shuffling though at all costs. What has really helped me has been flat water training on my race board, believe it or not. The past 2 months I've been training with Anthony Vela and Candice in their performance paddling club and even though it's 12'6 and 14' race boards, it has made a world of difference with my paddling in general. We train 4 days a week and every single session involves drills that can directly benefit your surfing. We do a lot of bracing drills, a lot of pivot turn drills and a lot of paddle change drills.

Almost every "main set" of each training involves buoy turns (right and left), forcing you to move around on your board and they don't let you get away with improper footwork. They would rather see you fall by practicing correct foot movement than to ingrain bad habits. And then lastly, almost every training session ends with 10 minutes of "freestyle" where they usually make us try something we've never done on a board, which for some people can just be walking to the tail but for me, they've made me do crazy things like walk the nose of my race board and then do pivot turns from up there. Lots of falling in but lots of improvement all around.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal