Author Topic: Will it downwind? Yes or No?  (Read 67111 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Will it downwind? Yes or No?
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2015, 06:13:48 AM »
Ah, I finally get it. take out the colon and read the first sentence in isolation.

Ignorant question from someone who has never downwinded.

It reads like you are both saying the question (Will it downwind?) is ignorant and accusing Offshore of never having downwinded.

Yup.....I'm just waiting for Jorge to come on and say..."Oh.....Nevermind"
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2015, 07:13:35 AM »

I’ll say this in summary—you aren’t likely go seriously wrong with a big old surfboard, but you can spend a bad day on the water with the wrong race board. And if it says SIC on the rails then you’re generally in very good hands.

yep

As a general rule a planing shape will be your friend while a pointy race kinda nose will death roll you if it touches the wave in front (in steeper conditions).

I’d suggest that pretty much anything that floats you will be OK on a pleasant light wave puddle-along downwind. However when the waves are well built and steep enough to get onto a true plane then things can get tricky and some boards are much better at keeping you out of trouble.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2015, 07:23:09 AM »
...Even in our short period wind swell (which doubles up as we move down the lake) I prefer to move up for the launch...

Yugi, what lake are you downwinding on again?

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2015, 08:08:28 AM »
Just finished the "Will it Downwind? Starboard Race 14' x 25" Vid, and will upload onto the Zone within the next 12 hours... The only thing I'd say at this time is I recorded my highest heart rate (176bpm) in all the tests so far with this board... This could have been something to do with the the fact that the last thing my buddy who owns this board texted to me before I went out was, "Don't ding it...." ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:21:04 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2015, 08:16:09 AM »
Sorry for not responding and clearing this up sooner. Yesterday was, indeed, a long, hard day.

Zoo, 100% my bad, I didn't see the colon, misread your post and ... well, you know the rest. I apologize.

To the rest of the crew, thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt. I should have been as gracious to Zoo, even after misreading his post. Need to get on the water this weekend.

Jorge
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2015, 08:23:57 AM »
Thanks Jorge.  You in SoCal?  Let's surf. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2015, 08:36:39 AM »
Beanie: Lake Geneva.

The lake is pretty deep in the middle then funnels in to Geneva getting narrower and shallower. The strong NE wind comes down perfectly in line with the funneling. Amplifying waves. They bounce off the sides and down the middle we get some pretty good doubleups (wake boarders will know what I’m talking about). Some steep, some longer. We typically drop in off the point at Nyon (see below) just where the shelf starts for a 20km run.

In 563 AD Geneva was destroyed by a tsunami, caused by a landslide at the other end of the lake. Here's the science on that event.
   http://tinyurl.com/cqrql4p

It is also where a “seiche” was first identified.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seiche

Photo’s:
1 Paddling into town for a beer
2 demo of the dreaded race nose “death roll”

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:08:45 AM by yugi »

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2015, 08:47:17 AM »
You're welcome, Zoo. Thanks for the invite. I'm in Miami but am planning 3 days in San Diego, while on my way to Maui in late July. Will look you up then. Let me know if head to SoFla and we'll get you on the water here (that's how I got to know OffShore).
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2015, 09:13:18 AM »
Great shots Yugi!  Thanks for the history/geology background, very interesting stuff indeed. 

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2015, 09:30:17 AM »
here's a better shot

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2015, 12:04:18 PM »
That's a serious swell

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2015, 04:14:05 PM »
Okay, so here it is "Will it downwind? The Starboard Race 14' x 25"?"

http://youtu.be/ShlhgYWfSME
Head-Mount + GoPro 4 Silver
Thanks to KC for lending me his board (I didn't ding it!)..

This was the first time I'd been out on this board or any board for that matter of 25" inches wide... and it showed...

I somehow switched off the GoPro on the 2nd half of the run and had to paddle out again from the end and reshoot the last bit. A shame, as I caught some good sized swell and the thing was out of control... hence my 176bpm record HR in these tests for this board. You'll also see how well the fin releases from weeds..
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:37:15 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2015, 06:19:31 PM »
Just finished the "Will it Downwind? Starboard Race 14' x 25" Vid, and will upload onto the Zone within the next 12 hours... The only thing I'd say at this time is I recorded my highest heart rate (176bpm) in all the tests so far with this board...

Well done OffShore ! Been watching this thread for awhile and your unique perspective and comments in the videos are very informative and fun to read.

Regarding the SB video, it seems that the elevated HR could be traced at the extra effort to balance, among other things.

Did the open transom on this board cause an influx of water in the deck? I saw some water sloshing around the foredeck at one point, but can't discern if this water, when pointing into the through of the wave ahead, shifted forward and contributed to pearling.

Thanks for your efforts !
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2015, 09:46:13 PM »

Regarding the SB video, it seems that the elevated HR could be traced at the extra effort to balance, among other things.

Did the open transom on this board cause an influx of water in the deck? I saw some water sloshing around the foredeck at one point, but can't discern if this water, when pointing into the through of the wave ahead, shifted forward and contributed to pearling.

Thanks Balance Fit. It adds a completely new dimension paddling different boards on the same run and the SB Race 14' x 25" was the most challenging based on the board and conditions. What knocked me off twice was the swell coming in from the left which got bigger and bigger to the end of the run. I got the hang of it by the end. I agree that the balancing was harder than the Think XO 14' and must have contributed to the elevated HR.

On the water slipping around the board was dry when on the move. But when I fell off it was a challenge to get back in with all the water slopping in being blown in with the waves from the back when stopped. Very interesting. I guess water coming in from the front gets sucked out the back when you get moving.

I've managed to locate a SB All-Star 14' x 26" and so will add this to the list.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2015, 11:07:55 PM »
Nice one.

2:37 Classic death roll. On a glide on the main swell at just a slight angle down the line. Displacement bow nose touches. Pulls you just a bit more to the left, while tipping board to starboard. You so spat off.

Right there lies the true nuanced answer to your question: “yes it does downwind, but…”.

If you can control the board so the nose stays out everything can go OK. In bigger swell still controllable on consistent longer wavelength rollers. In short period or somewhat confused swell (what we get a lot of) it is almost impossible to avoid this and death roll becomes the norm.

I’m a fan of the planing hull, and as Footemaui put it so succinctly on an old thread Demise of the Traditional Downwinder Board : “If you are planning on catching bumps (surfing) rocker is your friend…”.
   http://tinyurl.com/qax52rg

I’m happy to see this new trend for  race boards as real allrounders which have full planing bottoms and just enough rocker.

OS, a 2015 14’ Naish Javelin or Focus Bluefin would be ideal for your course and look like they also handle more festive conditions. Race steeds that excel at downwind.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal