Author Topic: Will it downwind? Yes or No?  (Read 67107 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Will it downwind? Yes or No?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2015, 04:48:55 PM »
Some boards you can just look at and you know they'll go. But some defy their looks...PB's Foote Gumby board was 12-0 I believe and it looked clunky but it was easy to catch swells with it.

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2015, 04:52:53 PM »
SUPJorge is the second coming of Roseanne Rosanadanna..... ;)

Zoo...in Jorge's defense I can see how your post might be misconstrued as harsh criticism and not a confession of ignorance.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2015, 05:09:43 PM »

Zoo...in Jorge's defense I can see how your post might be misconstrued as harsh criticism and not a confession of ignorance.

I don't.  Maybe I'm just too ignorant to see it.  :o
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2015, 05:57:58 PM »
Not sure what set Jorge off, but it's not an ignorant question. Many boards will downwind. Any big surfboard will work. When Naish had their kiteboard crew (sponsored riders) here a couple years ago they rolled up to Maliko on a very big day with a truck full on big Naish surfboards, and tossed everyone in, like kicking a kid into the fjord to learn to swim. the surfboards were probably a good choice. You won't get to harbor fast on one, but you'll get there.

On the other hand, there are some race boards that are horrific. I have a Bark 14 Dominator that I took on a Viento run. I thought I was going to have to walk it down the railroad tracks until I finally just got it into the eddy next to the Oregon shore and just paddled. Horrible, wanted to round up every time I caught a swell.

there are some boards that don't play well in a cross wind, or can't handle a swell coming from behind. There's a lot of boards that people with great balance and skill can use to go fast on a downwinder, but we mere mortals will spend a lot of time in the water. For anyone looking to try the sport, this thread could be a source of good information.

I'll say this in summary--you aren't likely go seriously wrong with a big old surfboard, but you can spend a bad day on the water with the wrong race board. And if it says SIC on the rails then you're generally in very good hands.

This thread is a fine idea--I hope it gets expanded to reflect more people's experience with non-downwind specific boards. .
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 06:01:10 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2015, 06:05:21 PM »
So.. Did the Stanley run on the Starboard Race 14' x 25" (2013) early this morning.... Vid coming in 24 hours... Biggest day yet, but heavy drizzle... so some fun footage... including getting caught in the weeds on the way to the shore..
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2015, 06:18:21 PM »

Zoo--I think when you said "Ignorant question...", self-deprecatingly referring to yourself being ignorant, Jorge may have thought you were saying the "Will it downwind?" question was ignorant, so he gallantly came to Off-Shore's defense.  I think the misunderstanding was due to both of you being so nice (you with your self-deprecation about your very valid question, and Jorge with his quickness to come to someone else's defense).  Back to discussion...whole thing reminds me of when people used to wear huge, heavy boots for hiking, then people started bringing running shoes for wearing at the end of day, then started realizing the running shoes worked better for hiking than hiking boots, and it created a whole new category of hybrid, lightweight trail shoes.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2015, 06:43:18 PM »

Zoo--I think when you said "Ignorant question...", self-deprecatingly referring to yourself being ignorant, Jorge may have thought you were saying the "Will it downwind?" question was ignorant, so he gallantly came to Off-Shore's defense.  I think the misunderstanding was due to both of you being so nice (you with your self-deprecation about your very valid question, and Jorge with his quickness to come to someone else's defense).  Back to discussion...whole thing reminds me of when people used to wear huge, heavy boots for hiking, then people started bringing running shoes for wearing at the end of day, then started realizing the running shoes worked better for hiking than hiking boots, and it created a whole new category of hybrid, lightweight trail shoes.

I guess I can see that, somewhat.  He didn't read my post carefully and came to a wrong conclusion.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2015, 06:47:08 PM »
Ignorant question #2 from someone who has never downwinded before:  I have a 10'3 beginner board that surfs OK and carries about 190 liters of volume.  It glides pretty well for me, but I'm sure it is too wide and heavy to excell at downwinding.  Think it might be OK to try though?  Too bad OffShore can't try it for me and give me the official "Will it downwind" report.  Once or twice a year, we get a blow around here that seems strong enough to downwind.  I'm going to give it a try one of these days.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 06:51:15 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2015, 07:45:56 PM »
Ah, I finally get it. take out the colon and read the first sentence in isolation.

Ignorant question from someone who has never downwinded.

It reads like you are both saying the question (Will it downwind?) is ignorant and accusing Offshore of never having downwinded. 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2015, 08:00:06 PM »
Ah, I finally get it. take out the colon and read the first sentence in isolation.

Ignorant question from someone who has never downwinded.

It reads like you are both saying the question (Will it downwind?) is ignorant and accusing Offshore of never having downwinded. 

I guess, but it's a stretch to get that meaning from it. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:41:58 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2015, 08:22:45 PM »
It has been a long time since Downwinding and Orange County appearded in the same sentence.
Kneecap who was a Newport Lifeguard boat drive said thst during a good westerly, you be pushed to the Wedge.  Getting up the harbor is another matter. 
I've never heard of anybody doing it.  Quite a few of the surfski people walk across from the harbor and then paddle this course.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2015, 08:34:12 PM »
Ignorant question #2 from someone who has never downwinded before:  I have a 10'3 beginner board that surfs OK and carries about 190 liters of volume.  It glides pretty well for me, but I'm sure it is too wide and heavy to excell at downwinding.  Think it might be OK to try though?  Too bad OffShore can't try it for me and give me the official "Will it downwind" report.  Once or twice a year, we get a blow around here that seems strong enough to downwind.  I'm going to give it a try one of these days.

Zoo, 10'3" is pushing it in my opinion, but you should try it and will have fun... I have a vid somewhere downwinding a 10" RedPaddle iSUP in Fiji last year, and it was a lot of fun, but frustrating at the same time. I will take the same board out again, when conditions are blowing as part of this series and then you will see. IMO you need 12-6' for real gliding to start happening...
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2015, 08:45:26 PM »
Thank you, OffShore.  That's the info I was looking for.  Keep the vids coming, they are fun. 

hbsteve, I agree on the paltry wind conditions around here.  I was thinking on trying it on one of those rare big blows that occur after certain storms in the late winter.  I could call it "The Never Smoking, Always Fickle Newport to Laguna Run."

Hmmm, I would be riding a lame board in lame conditions; might not be worth the effort.   
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:50:47 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2015, 08:50:10 PM »
In general, it is a really cool feature of the sport that even within the category of downwind specific boards, there are superb boards that feel totally different.  Sadly, I have only visited Hood River a handful of times. Each time I go, I am tempted to leave my boards at home and demo. One memorable Viento run on a huge day, a buddy and I rented a bullet V2 and the Imagine connector. We switched up half way. Both boards are so fun, but completely different.

When you add racing boards that downwind really well to the mix, the options are endless & it gets to be pretty addicting...

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2015, 12:38:34 AM »
Zoo--I think when you said "Ignorant question...", self-deprecatingly referring to yourself being ignorant, Jorge may have thought you were saying the "Will it downwind?" question was ignorant, so he gallantly came to Off-Shore's defense.  I think the misunderstanding was due to both of you being so nice (you with your self-deprecation about your very valid question, and Jorge with his quickness to come to someone else's defense).

Mike - You got it. That's how I see it. I know SJ, so let's all chill and get back to the thread... If there is any other board any of you would like me to try, let me know, and I will see if I can find a fellow paddler with a similar board that can be persuaded to lend to me and take it out on the Stanley Run.. wind permitting...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal