Author Topic: Will it downwind? Yes or No?  (Read 67365 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Will it downwind? Yes or No?
« Reply #180 on: November 06, 2016, 04:08:00 PM »
Umm, it's a river, and you run against a 3 to 5 mph current.  well, technically it's a lake (dammed on both ends), but the current remains 3 to 5mph.

Exactly! It's about the quality of the bumps. My 8mph river run suck compares to my (5.5mph) Viento run. I had to experience it to understand it.
in progress...

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #181 on: November 06, 2016, 04:24:22 PM »
The big difference here is that it is NOT Connor Baxter posting the vids here, It's an average paddler...
Yes.. very average...

I never intended this to anything more than a bit of fun to see if I can get boards that are not intended for downwinding, on a downwind run and see how they perform. Also to show that you don't need to spend a fortune on a downwind specific board to experience the sensation of downwinding or downbreezing. Find a nice safe and short run (preferably inland on a small lake / loch), wear a FULL PFD, and use a good leash, go with friends and see how you like it. If you do like it, then spend the money and buy a board that is made for downwinding.

I know the limitations of Fridges and Couches and other pieces of furniture. They do not downwind. But you can SUP them.. ;D

When I see DJ using an inflatable on his downwinders I will consider one. Until then I'll just read and chuckle to myself.

I think DJ has taken an Naish iSUP out on his run. I have paddled a couple of iSUPs that IMHO are the Gold standard when it comes to iSUP Downwinding boards. Firstly the 2016 SIC AirGlide Bullet 14, and secondly the 2014 RedPaddle Elite Race, which had more rocker on it than than more recent versions.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 04:34:22 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #182 on: November 15, 2016, 12:03:32 PM »
I've downwinded 11' surf style boards - maybe not epic results but I believe you use what you have, as many of my students do until they can afford or find the need for a longer board. You do get glides on super shorter boards depending on the conditions and if you're paying attention or understand how to work the bumps. 
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 15, 2016, 12:48:40 PM »
I've downwinded a 9-3 hard surf sup, a 10ft iSUP, a 10-6, a 10-9, a 11ft, a 11-6, two 12fters, about ten 12-6s, about a dozen 14s (maybe more), a 16 hard board, a 16ft iSUP, a 16.5, and a 17. And I've probably forgotten some there.

I caught bumps on them all. So they all "downwinded". Just about anything that floats "downwinds". So the phrase is meaningless unless some criteria are used. But as OS says, this was originally meant as a bit of fun, so as long as it isn't taken to mean "if you like downwinding then you'll like this board", then I guess it's all good.

I'm off to downwind my shoe now :)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #184 on: December 02, 2016, 07:40:37 AM »
OK, so the answer is "no", really. Nice video though. What is the camera you are using?

Ok A10, this new RED elite 2017 vid is for you:

Few side notes:

Wind that day picked up only an hour into the paddle, so I wasn't planning
for a downwind run and the nose rocker was adjusted for glassy water ( which was
what I had when putting in). you can adjust the rocker for much more kick in the nose with this new FFC system.

Wind was far from optimal as it was hitting mostly from the side at 15mph on average with gusts of up to 19, so much sidewind that I ended up 12 miles away from home and on the other side of the river in the middle of the woods.

Although I did not met your criteria of only 1 swim for every mile, I'm
a downwind novice, especially on a day like that with a tippy 25" board.
in progress...

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #185 on: December 02, 2016, 06:56:06 PM »
Ha, Burchas... I'm looking forward to seeing A10s comments, because in my book, that looks like you got that RPC 14' x 25" downwinding...  ;D
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #186 on: January 19, 2017, 02:10:54 PM »
Here's one for the books.... Or is it from the Book?  You get enough animal paddlers and it might......

http://www.architectmagazine.com/technology/detail/ark-encounter-exterior-wall_o

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 30, 2017, 05:15:27 AM »
Ha, Burchas... I'm looking forward to seeing A10s comments, because in my book, that looks like you got that RPC 14' x 25" downwinding...  ;D

Well you certainly turned the lilo into a shower unit fitted to a submarine, anyway. Nice video, and I love The Doors.

That rigidity FFC system clearly works well because the nose isn't sticking anywhere near as much as these bags of wind usually do.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #188 on: January 30, 2017, 01:58:51 PM »

Well you certainly turned the lilo into a shower unit fitted to a submarine

^ :)

Yes, the FFC is a game changer. They should really expand on it next year.

They could probably introduce a more DW specific board with better stability and more suitable nose rocker if there is enough demand.
in progress...

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #189 on: January 30, 2017, 03:40:16 PM »
I sure wish they would do that!  I'm just afraid the 25inch width just insn't enough for me and at 158 lbs. I don't need as much displacement either.....I'd rather be lower in the water. But the weight of that board is impressive and the stiffening system is unique to say the least.
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #190 on: January 30, 2017, 03:47:21 PM »
Burchas,  that last video was awesome!  You managed to stay up while the nose just smoothly dived through like a submarine. I am contemplating one of those boards,  but I for sure would like to have your SKILL!
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #191 on: January 30, 2017, 05:42:51 PM »
Burchas,  that last video was awesome!  You managed to stay up while the nose just smoothly dived through like a submarine. I am contemplating one of those boards,  but I for sure would like to have your SKILL!

Thx c14, those baby bumps on the river can paint one in a flattering light :)

I was thinking about it today on a downbreezer. if they could come up with a 4"
thick of their current super stable 14x26 with a good nose rocker and the FFC
 system at 280L of volume that would be really a legitimate alternative suitable
for many moderate DW conditions that is not as susceptible to cross winds as
the current 6" thick boards. We shall see in the summer.

This new Elite 14x25 is really meant for flatwater racing and truly excels at
that. For other conditions it's a stretch but a good proof of concept if one is
willing to endure. Good balance training though if that's your thing.
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal