Author Topic: Stoked Naish Hokua 7'10'' x32 experiences?  (Read 8328 times)

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Stoked Naish Hokua 7'10'' x32 experiences?
« on: February 28, 2015, 04:33:37 PM »

Hey guys, I have not been out on a SUP for over a year now.
I sold my boards and got fat...well I still have a few, but part of slimming down I got the new 7'10''

Looks like a sweet board. I am a little hesitant about the width, but I'll figure out how I like it. Anyone have any experiences they want to share about the board? I'm pretty stoked about getting back out. Oh and I re-bought the 9'0'' hokua..I just keep on going back to this board LOL.

Finally. Any advice on paddles these days?

thx
A.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Stoked Naish Hokua 7'10'' x32 experiences?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 04:49:34 PM »

Hey guys, I have not been out on a SUP for over a year now.
I sold my boards and got fat...well I still have a few, but part of slimming down I got the new 7'10''

Looks like a sweet board. I am a little hesitant about the width, but I'll figure out how I like it. Anyone have any experiences they want to share about the board? I'm pretty stoked about getting back out. Oh and I re-bought the 9'0'' hokua..I just keep on going back to this board LOL.

Finally. Any advice on paddles these days?

thx
A.

I own a 7'3 Naish and have ridden the X32's too.  All of them are great boards.  My impression of the 32" wide Naish boards is that they are very stable and comfortable to ride.  Even at the short length of 7'10, I think you will find it an easy ride.  The performance is not bad at all.  You pay for that stability by sacrificing a little speed and a little looseness, but they still surf great.  To me, they ride like Fanatic AllWaves in varying sizes. 

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 04:52:33 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 06:41:23 PM »

Yeah I also have the 7'8' I love it when I can go on it', but I am about 10 lb too heavy for it. I'm considering selling it..I can ride that up to about 195-200lb, but by then I am sinking it.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 08:17:52 PM »
That sounds like me on my 7'3 X 28 Naish.  I absolutely love riding waves on it, but it is too much work to stay on it and catch waves.  Give us a ride report when you get going on that new X32. 

As for paddles, I love my Kialoa Insanity.  Super light and extremely durable.  A great surfing paddle.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:08:36 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 04:18:00 AM »
Don't spend that kind of money without a demo

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,26278.0.html

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 08:20:21 PM »
Don't spend that kind of money without a demo

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,26278.0.html
weeeell..it might be kind of late for that now. I am not a patient person.

So with that said, I am still a bit hesitant on the width, but I must say that I loved the first Mana 7'9'' and that was wider if I remember right.
I saw your review, but I really REALLY like the look of nose and rocker outline, and the reason is simply the waves I am aiming for. I used to sometime airdrop on my 7'8''. Going on a steep drop with no nose rocker is a nightmare. I guess my experience on my SIM will help moving side to side for turning. I am pretty stoked. Of course once I got the board, the wind reports looks spectacular, so it depends a bit on when I get it out.

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 09:30:46 PM »
tauto... welcome back :D

I thought this was where we were all saved in perpetuity..... apparently you are experiencing a re-rebirth. Nice.

It is a pleasure to hear your stoke renewed.

All boards are good. Just get out there.... and stay out there ;)

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 11:46:21 PM »

haha thanks buddy.

Not sure if my stoke disappeared, but I've focusing on other things.

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 05:41:51 PM »
I had the 7'10" x 32" it worked decent for me, but not as high performance as I was hoping for. Yes it is similar to an Allwave but doesn't glide or plane as well, but turns somewhat close. Big Boy Short board, I do believe it needs a little pitch to get going and then its a little big to throw around once you are going. I am 170 lbs. so just a bit big for me I think!
Good Luck, I hope you enjoy it!
Fanman

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 06:09:24 PM »

yeah I get that. I am 35 lb heavier than you so I think I'll be able to push down and turn the sucker, and I am not too worried about the flat sections, but it just seems wide to me. I am hoping to try it this weekend.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 07:00:14 PM »
My experience with them is that they turn pretty good when you get the rail to sink, but they can't be turned very well when standing mid-board.  When you get a foot on the rail at the tail, they do turn nicely.  You won't be doing any Ky Lenny moves, but you will be able to surf it well and have a great time.  Again, kind of like a Fanatic AllWave.  I rode SoCalGremmy's X32 at Trails several weeks ago and didn't want to give it back.  Just get a foot on the rail at the tail, especially when you want to turn backside; that's the key.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 07:05:17 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 11:38:10 PM »
Nice zoo. That's exactly why I got it. I know how to move on the board and would not assume I could just stand in the center. I just want a board that reacts fast... So the light weight really got me.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 05:26:43 PM »

/// Aloha peeps of the zone. An update. I've finally had time to go out. Damn nice.

Its been a long time since I was out last (actually I've only been out a few times in the past 2 years), and I've never been out on this board before...
I finned the board with a set of FCS SF4 Stretch Quads. I opted to drop the fins that came with the board...no particular reason. I like a loose feel.

I took it out in about shoulder to hip high...at one of my favorite spots, but the wave is generally a bit slow for the beach break type board...but that wasn't an issue. Wind was side on, so it was pretty bumpy.

First wave I kind of regretted not having a center fin, I dropped in too straight, and gained a s#$t load of speed, making it hard to turn....a few more I found my legs on the board and this wasn't a problem. I totally get why the nose has some rocker...even go for it on a steep pitching wave it does not pearl. I even made some very late drops...huge bonus with the paint having friction since walking forward wasn't an issue.

I started moving around on the board, and I love it. I had the best spray off the top I've ever had (note I am saying that the best I've had...not that I am very great at it). No problem. Managed to little spin out with the tail...I kind of like the rocker...it allows me to lift the board out when I turn so the wide center so far doesn't feel like an issue.

I can't wait to try this on a wave with a bit more juice. :-)

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 09:55:47 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 07:01:20 PM »
/// Aloha peeps of the zone. An update. I've finally had time to go out. Damn nice.

Its been a long time since I was out last (actually I've only been out a few times in the past 2 years), and I've never been out on this board before...
I finned the board with a set of FCS SF4 Stretch Quads. I opted to drop the fins that came with the board...no particular reason. I like a loose feel.

I took it out in about shoulder to hip high...at one of my favorite spots, but the wave is generally a bit slow for the beach break type board...but that wasn't an issue. Wind was side on, so it was pretty bumpy.

First wave I kind of regretted not having a center fin, I dropped in too straight, and gained a s#$t load of speed, making it hard to turn....a few more I found my legs on the board and this wasn't a problem. I totally get why the nose has some rocker...even go for it on a steep pitching wave it does not pearl. I even made some very late drops...huge bonus with the paint having friction since walking forward wasn't an issue.

I started moving around on the board, and I love it. I had the best spray off the top I've ever had (note I am saying that the best I've had...not that I am very great at it). No problem. Managed to little spin out with the tail...I kind of like the rocker...it allows me to lift the board out when I turn so the wide center so far doesn't feel like an issue.

I can't wait to try this on a wave with a bit more juice. :-)

Awesome, Tautologies.  Glad you had a good first session.  I seriously considered buying one of those exact boards and backed out because of the price.  I will be interested in your continuing perceptions on it in different surf.   
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal