Author Topic: Thinking About Spock  (Read 5317 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Thinking About Spock
« on: February 28, 2015, 06:00:42 AM »
I fell in love with Star Trek when I was about eight. During the 70s it was on at 6PM every weeknight on channel 11. Wild horses couldn't tear me from our 13" black and white TV. Everybody knew this about me. I have to say, it's still my favorite show, and I'm in my later 40s.

Kirk was always my man. I loved him and his brashness. I always wanted to be hopping galaxies like my idol, accompanied by the very best advisor and friend possible, Spock. Spock was the man of the future. Spock was who we might become: more logical, less emotional, better conditioned, highly intelligent. When I was eight I didn't see how Spock/Nimoy was a better character than Kirk. He was sensitive and thoughtful, kind without being wimpy, always respectful but never afraid to express himself.

So when I heard of Leonard Nimoy's passing, I wept. A little boy inside me felt very lonely. Even more than Kirk, Spock represented the adventure of the future, what life could be instead of what it was. I hope too to emulate that, what life can be instead of what it is.

How does this get back to SUP? I was never able to fly the Enterprise, but I always thought of my water adventures as something like “exploring strange new worlds”. There's still this part of me which wants to “boldly go where no man has gone before.” Even now when I write these words I feel the tug of that. I think of that every time I go on one of my river adventures. The ocean is my final frontier. Thank you Spock for being my companion. You'll always be with me, out on my adventures.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Thinking About Spock
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 06:51:34 AM »
Well said..
Some Spock Quotes..

Computers make excellent and efficient servants, but I have no wish to serve under them.

--SPOCK, Star Trek: The Original Series, "The Ultimate Computer"

Without followers, evil cannot spread.

--SPOCK, Star Trek: The Original Series, "And The Children Shall Lead"

Change is the essential process of all existence.

--SPOCK, Star Trek: The Original Series, "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"

Insufficient facts always invite danger.

--SPOCK, Star Trek: The Original Series, "Space Seed"

I have never understood the female capacity to avoid a direct answer to any question.

--SPOCK, Star Trek: The Original Series, "This Side of Paradise"

I realize that command does have its fascination, even under circumstances such as these, but I neither enjoy the idea of command nor am I frightened of it. It simply exists, and I will do whatever logically needs to be done.

--SPOCK, Star Trek: The Original Series, "The Galileo Seven"

Vulcans never bluff.

--SPOCK, Star Trek: The Original Series, "The Doomsday Machine"

It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want.

--SPOCK, Star Trek: The Original Series, "Errand of Mercy"

Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

--SPOCK, Star Trek (2009)

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

SPOCK, Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 07:34:35 AM »
My memory was anger when it was cancelled, while another crap show (lost in space) wouldn't go away.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 07:39:32 AM »
Lost in Space was pretty lame, but I think it only went two seasons, didn't it?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 07:45:48 AM »
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

--SPOCK, Star Trek: The Original Series, "Errand of Mercy"

Was he was referring to overgrown SUP quivers?  :D
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

sterbo

• Malibu Status
  • sailordog...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 07:49:36 AM »

Ichabod

That's a beautiful post brother.

I was 15 when Star Trek debuted. We live on a beach where the TV reception was difficult at best so my brothers, friends and I would take turns standing at the set constantly holding and moving the rabbit ears so we could maintain reception.

One of the great shows of all time.
Rest in peace Spock...

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 09:21:14 AM »
My memory was anger when it was cancelled, while another crap show (lost in space) wouldn't go away.
Hated that stupid show. Had a friend that always had to go in and watch that creepy doctor chase little Will Robinson.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 09:29:15 AM »
My favorite Spock quote was always, “I have been, and always shall be, your friend.”

Beautiful. Poetry in outer space.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 10:35:14 AM »
"to boldy go where no man has gone before " sort of defines  expeditions    so  maybe all of us  start trek  fans and   spock fans  were influenced by this opening statement in out youths.

Nonetheless  some thing about spock  always made sense  like he would be  as he said " I am and always shall be your friend" 

so it feels to me like we have lost one of our friends.

I wonder if he knew just how much people liked his character.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 11:50:08 AM »
Lost in Space was pretty lame, but I think it only went two seasons, didn't it?

I recall it ran a long time. Black and white, then color. My father and I loved Star Trek. I recall my cousins preferred lost in space.

I had a model of the enterprise. Right next to my revel model cars.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 11:53:28 AM by DW »

sterbo

• Malibu Status
  • sailordog...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 03:00:46 PM »
A photo taken by the astronaut Terry Virts aboard the International Space Station to honor
the memory of Leonard Nimoy. He waited for a specific moment in the Earth's rotation - Nimoy
was born in Boston, and if you look to the right of his hand…

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 03:39:35 PM »
That's a fitting tribute.  I can only imagine the numbers that have gravitated toward the sciences in great part as result of his positive influence.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 08:12:44 PM »
I loved Star Trek. I never got into any of the newer versions. The original Star Trek was it.

I met Leonard Nimoy once when I was 10 or 11 years old. My Grandma dragged me to a McGovern campaign party. When I saw him, I didn't know what to say to him. Like a stupid little kid, I asked him where the bathroom was. He actually got up, and showed me where it was:) Great person......Vulcan.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 09:29:52 AM »
Fascinating.

He gave an interview last year on local NPR. Talked about his folks being some of the last ones to leave the West End when it was demolished under urban renewal. They moved to Dorchester, he headed to California to go to acting school. Got his start in acting at 8 at St Joseph's church and the West End Boys club. I think he donated to the new WEst End Club up the street from my house but I never saw him there. He had a love hate relationship with Spock. Hard to do much else after becoming an icon. They made him an offer he couldn't refuse to make the movies later, especially the 2nd and those after. Part of that deal was him directing the 4th...Humpback Whale rescue.

Sucked when it was cancelled but thankfully it helped bring about a surge of good sci fi both in books and movies.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:47:32 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 10:11:20 AM »
He had a love hate relationship with Spock. Hard to do much else after becoming an icon.
I don't think people had any problem differentiating Nimoy the man from Spock the character, but I could see how he might believe that they did.  I noticed in his recent photos, he'd shaved off his distinctive eyebrows and had plastic surgery to remove the points on his ears, probably his attempt at distancing himself from his (I think groundless) perception that people thought of him as Spock even outside the show and movies. 

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal