Author Topic: Newport Peninsula blocking some bacteria runoff?  (Read 10684 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Newport Peninsula blocking some bacteria runoff?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 09:30:56 AM »
That makes plenty good sense. Now if the wind doesn't come up too high.

Yeah, wind certainly shutting it down today.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 10:03:24 AM »
Beach water quality data exists, here's California. Newport Beach at 38th is listed as a superstar beach......clean.
http://www.nrdc.org/water/oceans/ttw/ca.asp

EPA has a GIS map interface for their database too.....sampling points are the same as NRDC.org but there is more detailed info for each.
http://watersgeo.epa.gov/beacon2/about.html

No question you'll get far more during a big storm. If you have areas of combined sewers (storm and sewage) whenever you get a big rain event you get an overflow when the pipes get too full and the treatment plant can't handle it. In the weather we've had the last couple of years here in the NE whole treatment plants have been flooded out.....everything...untreated.... went into the water. Most major CSO's in the US now at least have a disinfection and screening system in place but when it really hits the fan all bets are off.
Gotta listen to Stoney, when it comes to waste water engineering, he knows his shit.  ;)
It takes a quiver to do that.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 11:52:59 AM »
Beach water quality data exists, here's California. Newport Beach at 38th is listed as a superstar beach......clean.
http://www.nrdc.org/water/oceans/ttw/ca.asp

EPA has a GIS map interface for their database too.....sampling points are the same as NRDC.org but there is more detailed info for each.
http://watersgeo.epa.gov/beacon2/about.html

No question you'll get far more during a big storm. If you have areas of combined sewers (storm and sewage) whenever you get a big rain event you get an overflow when the pipes get too full and the treatment plant can't handle it. In the weather we've had the last couple of years here in the NE whole treatment plants have been flooded out.....everything...untreated.... went into the water. Most major CSO's in the US now at least have a disinfection and screening system in place but when it really hits the fan all bets are off.
Gotta listen to Stoney, when it comes to waste water engineering, he knows his shit.  ;)

So you're not just talkin crap?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 11:55:16 AM »
Looks like they are mostly testing for Poop.

Viruses, Heavy Metals and Toxins ? No data...

Scary...
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 02:57:48 PM »
Smells like money..... ;)....though there are days when I've had to be at a plant during design or construction that I wished I had stayed in petrochemicals.

They aren't as big or as immediate a health risk but no question they are there. The cleanup that has been happening the last 30 years or so has been transformative but there is still so much that needs doing. We're still dumping far more stuff than we treat. Your situation is particularly a problem. 100 miles of river collecting pesticide run-off and who knows what else and none of that goes through treatment.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 03:09:34 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 06:19:52 PM »
When you actually go take a look at the shore from an airplane, you can see the plumes extending from the source for atleast 3 miles.

That is visible plume from the source, and not so visible, smaller pollution particles will probably extend even more, and they sit there for atleast 4-5 days.

There is nowhere in so-cal that is "safe/clean" to surf right after rain. In fact to get all the gunk to settle down, you have to wait atleast a week.

But who has patience to do that? I surfed last tuesday after rain, it was nice. There was only 5 people including myself at the jetty. It is so fun when there are perfect number of people at a surf break. We get civil, take turns, and zero drop in or snaking in, everyone is nice to each other. I absolutely hate it when Surfline shows color orange.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 08:51:43 PM »
When you actually go take a look at the shore from an airplane, you can see the plumes extending from the source for atleast 3 miles.

That is visible plume from the source, and not so visible, smaller pollution particles will probably extend even more, and they sit there for atleast 4-5 days.

There is nowhere in so-cal that is "safe/clean" to surf right after rain. In fact to get all the gunk to settle down, you have to wait atleast a week.

But who has patience to do that? I surfed last tuesday after rain, it was nice. There was only 5 people including myself at the jetty. It is so fun when there are perfect number of people at a surf break. We get civil, take turns, and zero drop in or snaking in, everyone is nice to each other. I absolutely hate it when Surfline shows color orange.

Yes, it sucks when Surfline calls in the hordes with their stupid orange rating.  I would almost rather surf when they are predicting "poor-fair" blue.

OCSurf and I are going to try to surf at dawn and the usual spot tomorrow morning.  You gonna be there?

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 08:57:30 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 09:17:29 PM »
I'd surfed Newport from the mid 80's through 2010 almost exclusively before moving to Maui.  And most of those years were at RJ's.

Rule of thumb, 3 days after a rain no matter where you're thinking.  But you're not duck diving like we were on a surfboard. 

So earplugs, don't swallow and you'll be fine.

I have a personal friend many years ago get a parasite from the water after a rain.  It worked on one of his heart valves and had surgery.

Also many cases of cancer from RJ's area older surfers.  Not sure if it was a coincidence or a results of run off.

Here's some of the interesting stuff that would float down the SA river and end up on the beach.

And the brown water kept us out of some really good conditions too..

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 09:47:56 PM »
From doing a little Google Map work, Newport Pier is about 2.5 miles from the both the harbor entrance and the river jetties.  After a heavy rain, is that far enough?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 10:47:16 AM »
I can wait a few days...

http://www.surfline.com/community/whoknows/whoknows.cfm?id=1157

Oh Boy...
Is it a good thing we don't get as much Government as We Pay for?

"Waters that are polluted may contain several different disease-causing organisms, commonly called pathogens. Enteric pathogens -- those that live in the human intestine - can carry or cause a number of infectious diseases. Swimmers in sewage-polluted water could contract any illness that is spread by ingestion of fecal-contaminated water. (AIDS and many other diseases are not carried by enteric pathogens.)

Viruses are believed to be the major cause of swimming-associated diseases, and are responsible for gastroenteritis, hepatitis, respiratory illness, and ear, nose, and throat problems. Gastroenteritis, which can also be caused by bacteria, is a common term for a variety of diseases that can cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, stomach ache, nausea, headache, and fever. Other microbial diseases that can be contracted by swimmers include salmonellosis, shigellosis, and infection caused by E. coli (a type of enteric pathogen). Other microbial pathogens found at varying concentrations in recreational waters include amoeba and protozoa, which can cause giardiasis, amoebic dysentery, skin rashes, and pink eye.

There is also what we call the "toxic cocktail" of pesticides, herbicides, heavy metals and other pollutants that are not monitored regularly and the health effects are poorly understood. "
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 10:54:03 AM »
Notice that all of Surfline's examples of people getting sick are from surfing right in the worst of the runoff.  By river mouths and drain pipes.  This leads support to selectively choosing where to surf after a rain and points back to my original post. 

Yes the water is bad, and a wise person should stay completely out.  For those of us who are somewhat less than wise, at least being selective with your spot choice seems as though it would probably help. 

OCSurf and I went out near Blackies at dawn this morning, had a few fun, small waves.  I'm holding to my theory and surfing only in that area after a rain.  I'll let you know if I die.  :o
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 11:26:09 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 12:23:33 PM »
From doing a little Google Map work, Newport Pier is about 2.5 miles from the both the harbor entrance and the river jetties.  After a heavy rain, is that far enough?

No not far enough.

To add another fact. Just because the rain stopped, that doesn't mean the river stops flowing. If you really add in all the factors, you are probably not going to be able to surf during rainy season.

BTW I've surfed the jettys today. I've got me a new board off from the craigslist and I had to surf it.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Newport Peninsula blocking some bacteria runoff?
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2015, 02:20:09 PM »
Which jetties?   What board did you get?   And how was it?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 04:35:18 PM »
Simple just don't fall in  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal