Author Topic: 20 knot downwinder - 3rd Person View - First Cut  (Read 1979 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
20 knot downwinder - 3rd Person View - First Cut
« on: February 27, 2015, 03:38:32 PM »
Here's a first cut of the session yesterday... One BIG safety issue with the 3rd Person view is falling and getting the leash wrapped around the system.. which happened and you'll see in this vid. I managed to get it untangled, but it was not pretty. Somehow the leash ended up around my neck which could be fatal on a big day.. Now I know why I carry a floating knife... So I'm only using this when I have support..

There were many shots going flat out gliding, and so in this vid I tried to show as many variables as possible with paddling, missing waves and boats etc.

...and yes, some prolonged kook stance...

http://youtu.be/DCSfN1sXWAI
Sail Video System 3rd Person View Mount + GoPro 4 Silver
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: 20 knot downwinder - 3rd Person View - First Cut
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 04:30:18 PM »
There's the board I love! When you're not traversing the shallows where large rocks await you're playing with big tankers. You're not the timid sort, are you?  8)

The run looked good, was it the wind that caused the fall?  I wonder if the leash type (coiled) is what lead to the problem with the mount?

Last question: is that Melanie Martinez singing?
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 04:37:50 PM »
Nice video!  Looks like a sweet board.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 08:17:15 AM »
There's the board I love! When you're not traversing the shallows where large rocks await you're playing with big tankers. You're not the timid sort, are you?  8)

The run looked good, was it the wind that caused the fall?  I wonder if the leash type (coiled) is what lead to the problem with the mount?

Last question: is that Melanie Martinez singing?

SM. Thank you! My kids call it Dad's Wonderbread board... but hey, I love that board too.. Growing up windsurfing on UK coasts meant I experienced a lot of big crazy (and cold) days out in some gnarly conditions, so the bigger it gets, the more comfortable I feel.. to a point...

On the fall, like most falls it comes out of the blue, but I think I slammed into the wave in front, hence the paddle swipe, and was ejected.... On the leash, yes, the coiled leash makes it easier to get tangled in the mount if you fall the wrong way, so a normal leash may be the solution.

On you last question, all I know is that this is another Youtube freebee, entitled "Butterfly (Max Liese Remix) -4746 by Danny Darko". It's a different version of the same song I used in the other 3rd person vid I posted. I kinda like it..
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 08:22:09 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 01:20:40 PM »
On the fall, like most falls it comes out of the blue, but I think I slammed into the wave in front, hence the paddle swipe, and was ejected.... On the leash, yes, the coiled leash makes it easier to get tangled in the mount if you fall the wrong way, so a normal leash may be the solution.

The problem may be the nature of the mount. Anything rigid that projects out from the body is fair game for getting wrapped up, even in a straight leash. Just one more reason to carry an emergency knife.

On you last question, all I know is that this is another Youtube freebee, entitled "Butterfly (Max Liese Remix) -4746 by Danny Darko". It's a different version of the same song I used in the other 3rd person vid I posted. I kinda like it..

I like it too and decided to spring for the EP (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PAR0HLA). It turns out the singer is Jova Radevska, though search on YouTube for Melanie Martinez and I think you'll agree they sound almost exactly the same.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal