Author Topic: ok..... I was hypothermic today.  (Read 9402 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: ok..... I was hypothermic today.
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 07:52:46 AM »
I didn't think you ever got cold. Nice waves......this whole having to work thing sucks.

I like my 4/3/2 with a 5/3 hood vest combo underneath, best combination I've found. 7mm boots and 2mm gloves. Only thing that got cold last Sunday was my hands and that only slightly.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 07:55:36 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 09:24:34 AM »
Stoney... last Sunday was normal winter stuff.
This was not...... not even in the same ballpark. Or I had a stroke,    which.... is entirely possible.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 10:01:46 AM »
Bob How is it your hands don't fall off? You must be blessed with great circulation.

They are my weak link.Any tips?

I didn't think you ever got cold. Nice waves......this whole having to work thing sucks.

I like my 4/3/2 with a 5/3 hood vest combo underneath, best combination I've found. 7mm boots and 2mm gloves. Only thing that got cold last Sunday was my hands and that only slightly.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 12:55:05 PM »
You guys are impressive. As a kid growing up in LI NY I surfed the winters until my first PR trip in jan at 18yo. After that I was ruined for the cold and couldn't continue it.

tried your washing machine rinse and drier protocol
I must have missed this technique. Could you explain?  Absolutely hate the cold pull on.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 02:08:49 PM »
You guys are gnarly nuts!
Fixed it for you SW.... ;) ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 02:09:30 PM »
True....Sunday wasn't bad at all. I've been out on days like your talking and it can get to you for sure.

These are the gloves I use. Only issue I have is that they aren't all that rugged. I go through a pair each year. I've been thinking of wearing a pair of thin grippy work gloves over them.
http://search.nrs.com/boating/Titanium%20Gloves?utm_campaign=sli_champion&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=champ_se&utm_term=sli_Titanium%20Gloves

I can't stress enough how nice it is to bring a bunch of hot water with you. I use it before during and after. Keeps you warmer when you go out....I can't even tell when I've walked into the water....no temp change at all initially. Not like that first bit that gets in when you go in dry. If I get cold I get out and recharge the warmth....especially nice on the hands. I have arthritis bad in my right hand. Poor HOT water into the glove and then slide your hands in....bliss. At the end of a session I always have at least a gallon or so left...come in pour it over your head and into your suit. It warms both you and the suit up. Softens the neoprene and makes getting out much easier...not that my suit is hard but if you are wearing a 6/5/4 chest zip that is like a straight jacket its a big help. Peel off the top and pour the rest over me and then towel dry. I can be standing out in 20 deg temps with 15 mph winds and be comfortable changing. Not only comfortable....actually feels great to have the blend of warmth and cold...invigorating.

J....the hot water works great for the cold pull on too. On the way to the beach I have one of the bottles of hot water insulated by wrapping it in my suit, another is wrapped with my robe. I use those to drink and fill my suit before going out. I have two others wrapped in towels to use later. My suit is warm soft and easy to put on when I get to the beach and I'm wrapped in a warm robe. Almost too civilized.....i feel like I'm cheating.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 02:27:40 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

NEsurfSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 02:36:13 PM »
You guys are impressive. As a kid growing up in LI NY I surfed the winters until my first PR trip in jan at 18yo. After that I was ruined for the cold and couldn't continue it.

tried your washing machine rinse and drier protocol
I must have missed this technique. Could you explain?  Absolutely hate the cold pull on.

SurfinJ  Creek's "technique" is from a thread on drying boots, as quoted below;

I throw all my gear in the washer and dryer, just like cloths. yes soap. no drier sheet.

Keeps them from getting all stanky in your trunk.

I have never seen any downside to doing this.....I hear that it may wear the suits out sooner.... but who cares???
I have no interest in wearing 4 year old wetsuit gear...
the newer stuff is always super stretchy, warmer, mo' betta... and the suits I buy, are super affordable.

One piece "electric" Creek 9'4"
Two piece Sunova Creek 9'4"
CoreVac Cannibal Blade 8'8
Angulo surfa 9'8
Naish Mana 10'
Red Sport 11'
2014 Naish Glide 14'
Werner nitro
Black project three part paddle

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 06:45:31 PM »
Hey  coldy,  balmy 34 f or about 1.1 c !!

Water temp 1.1 c ?  You must be meaning air temp  :)

Think your water is about the same as ours just now....5 degrees C ....if so ......STC you are nuts in a 4/3!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 06:52:02 PM by coldsup »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 08:35:17 PM »
Even further south, at the Jersey Shore we were 14F/-10C  air and 35F/1.7C this morning.  4/3 was fine for me too.   Tomorrow I'm finally going to break out my dry suit for a flat water ocean paddle (our bays are frozen solid).

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 08:04:23 AM »
Coldy, Just checked my math again - 34 degrees f is 1.11111 c! That's COLD water mate!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 11:58:16 AM »

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 01:51:20 PM »
bean, if you surfed in a 4/3, you have veins of ice.

flatwater, no prob. but in those temps if the surf was big enough to put me in the water i'd freeze in my 4/3.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

clayfeeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Standup Journal, "The Original Standup Mag"
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 02:46:50 PM »
Creek you're nuts bro.. a 4/3???? The ocean is 36 these days up here in Maine! (Must be close to that on Cape Cod)...4/3 is AOK for those cool winter estuary paddles u do... but you get rolled and rinsed (like we have a photo of u doing in the Summer issue..classic) a couple times in that suit and no bueno...  our local York, Maine sup surf hero Bob Moran always preaches "You suit up for the water temp not the air temp (usually)."... you are my inspiration... my new motto: "Rick 'Creek' Weeks Would Go" (in hail.. or snow!! Haha)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 02:53:33 PM by clayfeeter »
www.standupjournal.com
"You don't always have to leave blood on the keyboards... but it should feel like you did."

supthecreek

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 02:55:31 PM »
ha ha... I thought you might appreciate that shot  ;)
Not a picture you would usually submit for publication ;D ;D ;D

Clay, I'm coming up your way this spring... I need to get some water time with the Maineiac's.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2015, 07:40:25 PM »
bean, if you surfed in a 4/3...

I hate being cold and I was anticipating the worst, but my 4/3 was comfortable, only my hands were cold.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal