Author Topic: fractured knee  (Read 8317 times)

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: fractured knee
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 12:12:33 PM »
I learned to hate a bedpan.

Imagine how your nurses felt.   :o
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:15:56 PM by spookini »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 01:16:19 PM »
I just came back from a 6 weeks MCL injury.  I just went down to the beach and played photographer and generally enjoying the beach.  I'd hope for a quick recovery for you.

supthecreek

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 02:33:44 PM »
Motorcycle.  Femur through the pelvis.  Compound fracture of tibia and fibula.  Dug into the dirt.  2 1/2 hours to the hospital.  2 1/2 months in the hospital.  A year before I didn't limp.  I learned to hate a bedpan.

I hear ya.

hence the name madmax??? must have been a long 2.5 hours :-\

SpaceCoastPaul

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 02:42:28 PM »
every day is a good deal. Some are just better than others. Sending healing powers your way.
8'8" x 31" Stu Sharpe WaveHog
10' x 32" Foote

KiwiSupGreg

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 02:57:13 PM »
I got the shits the night before a surf road trip with the boys, when I was 19. 2 weeks of empty beaches, beers  and joints, sleeping beside fires in the beach. . And I could do nothing but watch them surf from the bushes while I shat out my insides.

Try not to think about your crew having fun without you

*sorry for the graphic content*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 04:17:34 PM »
On the one hand it's cool to read that everyone has made it through whatever ailed them and has gone on to keep SUPing, but six weeks lost here… a year lost there… it reads like the thread of broken dreams with an extra degree of suffering for those who live above the tropic of cancer or below the tropic of capricorn—there's nothing worse than being laid low right at the start of summer and healing just in time for winter, I speak from experience.  :'(

newton333, best wishes that you heal to the best of your ability. My suggestion for helping that happen: eat well—your body will need the nutrients to recuperate. If you discover the secret to not climbing the walls, please share with the crowd.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 05:34:08 PM »
I learned to hate a bedpan.

Imagine how your nurses felt.   :o

Reminds me of a doctor I had years ago. He was giving me a prostate exam and I said "I hate this" and he said "It's no picnic for me either."
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 04:25:24 AM »
thanks guys hearring  your set backs sucks but it really helps that I'm not alone in his. I've already started the home activities i have a lot of crap to sell eBay and crags list. I'm gonna try and do the stuff u never have time to do.  skateboarding was always a huge part of my life and i competed amateur level for yrs. big part of my life mostly a vert skater even my wife was amazed one of the worst injurues  is now on a penny board in front of my house! I'm really focused on trying to keep rest of my body fit and keeping weight off! right know orthopedic doc. says i don't need the surgery as its jus fractured on top of knee cap not split half so don't need screws. but ill find out more when i go back to him next weds.  i wanna come back stronger then before thats really my focus right now. the photo guy is a great idea? i have awesome camera, might as well use it for friends! just so easy to fall into a depression I'm really fighting it.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 05:19:02 AM »
as PB says keep fitnes and cvrdio during layoff--if tyour whole carcass atrophies while recovering you risk reinjury--i have used the ube arm cycles to keep cardio when resting legs--they work great, esp for prone paddliong--incredible how arm motion can work your lungs as though you were doing windsprints
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 05:46:36 AM »

not that this will make you feel any better, but i just had a friend leave PR early on his trip there because of hostility towards SUPs.  it's apparently gotten really bad and really violent.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 06:05:47 AM »
Wow, that is disappointing to hear linter...as you know PR is one of the closest surf destinations for us east-coasters.

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 09:47:24 AM »
I have a buddy who's been to PR twice this winter to SUS.  No report of trouble.  He's pretty good about giving the shortboarders their space though.  And he's pretty big.  ;)

I rehabbed myself after a sprained knee a year ago.  It was slow going.  But I hike with the dog about 1 1/2 hrs everyday, mountainbike, SUP, SUS, etc. etc. now.  It was faster after I lost the brace, but more painful. 

Good luck with recovery.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 05:05:13 AM »
been suping pr for 6 yrs. don't have many problems. all good. ya any other suggestions for good cardio? i was thinking of getting wheelchair and trying to go around block a few times when snow/ice melts. (if it ever will) what is ube arm cycles???

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 08:50:42 AM »
Broke my leg in five places on an asym raceboard - hardshell boots, plate bindings. Did a lot of cardio on a recumbent bike with handles for your arms to spin without feet.

Helped a lot! Good luck for a safe and healthy recovery.. 8) 8)
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2015, 11:35:05 AM »
ill see what my wife gym has to help