Author Topic: Fun with Baby Waves  (Read 1394 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Fun with Baby Waves
« on: February 26, 2015, 07:26:26 PM »
After two frantic Malikos, playing around in knee-high stuff was just fine. Covesurfer told me the only likely water action today was on the West side. Why I believed him I really can't fathom. Just about the time I got to Thousand Peaks he passed me going the other way. WTF?

I called him and he told me it was blown out and knee high. So he was going to look at the south side. I decided to continue west and see if I could find a wind shadow. We agreed to let each other know what was working. Of course I never heard from him again. Weasel.

Turned out Puamana was smack dab in the shadow. Knee high and glassy. I surfed the smooth little waves for about an hour, then went back to the truck and got my camelback and phone so I could cruise and have some tunes.

As it turned out the little breaks that are only accessible from the ocean side or private property were bigger and better than Puamana. I surfed each one. making my way along the beaches and then the reef. Nice waves with some good punch. I caught a bunch of good ones at Hole-in-the-wall (I make the names up as I go) and then picked a good sized one to shoot through the narrow, twisty channel in the reef. Didn't hit anything.

Paddled up to Pacific O, ran into Armadillo teaching tourists to surf and had a nice chat, then had a great lunch. On to the breakwall. The surf had grown a bit and the breakwall is a full on surf amplifier. The sets were chest high with an occasional head high or thereabouts. Lots of punchy, pitching waves. I stayed there about an hour, went back to hole in the wall, caught a couple of nice ones, then worked my way back to Puamana.

Of course as soon as I loaded up my board the swell picked up to shoulder high, but I resisted and cruised home. Nice day, lots of meaty little waves, and some decent exercise, as well as a really good lunch. Something they called "Nagasaki Pork" which was roasted pork in a nice sweet-hot sauce, fried polenta with a sunnyside egg on it, and some salad to mop it all up. Very tasty with a nice crisp Sauvignon Blanc. Life is hard.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fun with Baby Waves
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 07:39:59 PM »
Sounds good Pono. Maybe I should have gone up there. 1K Peaks kind of took my mo-jo away - wind was maybe 12 to 15 steady and there was about 1 foot of surface chop. Add a three foot swell, not much fun on a little board. The waves were mushy and ribbed with wind chop.

Went to Kihei, it was blowing about 12. Just enough to really rough it up. Watched for a few minutes then went home. Feels like I'm on the verge of coming down with something. I forced myself out for an hour and a half bike ride and when I got home, I was completely wiped.  On my ride, I saw some guys out on the west side of the harbor jetty (not in the harbor) and it looked like it was overhead windswell that had cleaned up enough to ride. They looked like they were having fun.

Just looked at the cam's again. South and west look windy still.  Not much wind at my place. If I had any energy, I'd go for a sunset onemacanu paddle.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fun with Baby Waves
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 10:09:46 PM »
You better take it easy, that's how the latest version of the flu starts. General Malaise. If you get sick with Marcia gone you're going to have an interesting time. I'll bring food by if you need it, but it will be drone delivery.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal