Author Topic: The next step 12'6 x 21.5"  (Read 17725 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The next step 12'6 x 21.5"
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2016, 01:03:17 PM »
Nice. YOu could take it down to 17 and make two for me. I'd need one for each foot.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2016, 01:18:06 PM »
i would like to try narrower we will see how much of a improvement this, its more just a matter of making it more user friendly, the old 12'6 was very hard to sprint without getting wet however the 14 which was a little different is very easy to sprint. The speed and glide this board has is way over most other boards so if you get in clear water in a race you a pretty much on your own so long as you don't make two many mistakes.  Going narrower should be possible but it does come down a little to how wide you can stand comfortably for me this is near my limit i think.

The other plan on starting this board is the hope that it will spark the weather in to blowing up a good storm so i can test my dw board as it has been totally flat since i finished that!

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2016, 05:58:07 AM »
If not sticking to 12'6 or 14 length, what lengths would you experiment with?  I would love to see what length/width you came up with.  I'm would be all for a skinny unlimited for flat water.

As always thank you for all of your detailed posts and willingness to share.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2016, 11:02:42 AM »
The lines you've got going just speak to me for some reason. Some of the boards out there that are designed to go fast look butt ugly to me but yours are functional works of art. Great work....you are one very talented young man.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2016, 11:52:53 AM »
The lines you've got going just speak to me for some reason. Some of the boards out there that are designed to go fast look butt ugly to me but yours are functional works of art. Great work....you are one very talented young man.
You took the words right out of my mouth.   ;D

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Its a illness and I just can't help myself 12'6 x 21.5"
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2016, 12:38:23 PM »
it's been a year since I did this board and we have paddled it a fare bit and come to a few conclusion. We have allso found that there is no way even paddleing a 24 wide board you can keep up with it so having a second one means I can train with a friend. while I was fairly happy on the old board and did not fall in it was not the most stable paddleing platform ever so the goal is to improve that along with playing with quite a radical change to the bottom shape. I have added a lot more volume into the board but mainly to just raise the hight of the rails to try and stop so much water coming in and allso raised the standing area up a fraction as I was bordering under the water line.

Paddled a SB All Star 23 the other day - and it was amazingly stable.  It seems dropping the COG is the trick and to get that you do need higher sides to keep water out.  Did not measure - but in this pic my wife was on the 25 and you can see how far above the water her feet are.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2016, 12:22:08 AM »
Cheers this one I think is a little more function over form and is quite experimental, going narrow changes all sorts of things and there is not a lot out there to go on to know what works,you can look at skis and rescue boards but in reality there are not many similarities. CoG makes a huge difference the first board I was almost standing in water the hole time so I have raised it a little hopefully I havnt lost to much there.

I would like to try some unlimited but at the moment I'm restricted on space to glass them I'm hoping over the summer I can build a big new work space that will allow me to do so. I guess I will have to see how I go with improving the 12'6 first but then perhaps a 18'x21 flat water board and maybe a 16x24 dw board and allso a 20x25 tandem board would be nice to try.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2016, 12:07:43 PM »
Wow, the SB has a tunnel hull. Maybe I wasn't so far off after all.

Eighteen foot speedboard with tunnel hull. No, I didn't screw up a perfectly good speedboard, this is the one UPS freight broke in half:

Sunken decks do at least two beneficial things -- lower the COG and change the vector angle of paddle force. The vector change is small but significant since the vertical component of the vector raises the nose and sinks the tail. Of course it also reduces the force accelerating the board.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 12:31:41 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2016, 12:49:08 PM »
It's been a bit of a ghetto build again as if it doesn't work out it may get chopped around in the future so the blank was one that was a fraction undersized however I managed to place the cut so it just fitted and so far I have only used 4m of new glass on the bottom and the rest as been  remanence which with the deck recess works fine. Just got to throw a fin box in and maybe a drain hole and give it a final hot coat and it should be ready from testing. Unfortun with so many industry people on here the bottom is going to have to stay a secret for now.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2016, 09:49:19 AM »
Here are a few pictures of drain holes that work well.

This is what a couple of local board builders use.  http://fiberglasstubingsupply.com/shop/inner-diameter/0-5-id-0-75-od-fiberglass-tube-5-long-black/
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 09:54:13 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2016, 09:57:40 AM »
i normal just recycle old paddle shaft of cuts for the drain holes, because I'm right down on water line i do tend to get a bit of back wash up them so just trying to come up with some sort of one way valve.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2016, 10:10:46 AM »
Infinity uses a single angled drain in the bottom. It works well. The water gets sucked out as you move.
It's not overhead to me!

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2016, 10:16:35 AM »
Infinity uses a single angled drain in the bottom. It works well. The water gets sucked out as you move.

yea i have wondered about trying that, i may give it a try and see how much back wash i get from that. a friend had booth on his and i think it was better at higher speeds but the ones on the rail were better at low speeds. I could really do with trying to get a little flap style one way thing 3d printed or something to try.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2016, 08:10:23 PM »
They make them already. This might work. I've bought these to repair my daughters swim team training snorkel. They are really soft and are designed to work under same type of relative water pressures.  http://uedata.amazon.com/FINIS-Snorkel-Replacement-Purge-Valve/dp/B00CNHOOZU 
It's not overhead to me!

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2016, 11:58:58 PM »
They make them already. This might work. I've bought these to repair my daughters swim team training snorkel. They are really soft and are designed to work under same type of relative water pressures.  http://uedata.amazon.com/FINIS-Snorkel-Replacement-Purge-Valve/dp/B00CNHOOZU

amazing that looks perfect! they only look to be available in the usa so will have to order some over, could you tell me what the ruff dia. is by any chance? many thanks
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 12:12:13 AM by supuk »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal