Author Topic: The next step 12'6 x 21.5"  (Read 17726 times)

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The next step 12'6 x 21.5"
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 07:38:04 AM »
seems a very usable board and I think it will be fine...

If it proves otherwise just send it my way.  I'll try to make the best of it  :D
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 12:24:15 AM »
Whats your lamination schedule? 

Is that glass w black pigment resin,( or carbon) first, then carbon strip, then spackle w yellow pigment,  sanding, topcoat with tinted pigments, then clear coat? 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 02:54:18 AM »
Wow....
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 05:08:50 AM »
Can't wait til you get back to hear more.

Great board, awesome color and finish. I want to hear about that too. Is that sand thru on the pigment from the lamination?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 08:17:32 PM »
It's plain glass with a carbon strip down the center the colours are pigmented when I laminated the black is a pigmented sand coat. still in Australia but will report back in a few weeks when back and tested.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 02:11:04 AM »
well in the last week I have been out twice on the board, booth time open ocean the first day was cross off wind blowing about 10knots with a small swell coming in and quite a lot of back wash of the beach and the second day the was no wind but still a small swell and still the same back wash. On the ocean at the moment the board does feel tippy but It is obviously going to take a while for our balance to improve and get used to that. I don't have any data yet but there is a very significantly different feeling when you paddle this board mainly with the amount of power needed to keep it moving. Im not sure how much faster the board is hopefully soon we can get some data but the amount of effort required to maintain the same speed as my 24 wide felt maybe 25% less. In the wobbly conditions I found it hard to put down more than 5 or 6 strokes with out a cheque however paddling at 75% even with this it still puts you way out in front of the other boards we were trying and even factoring in a fall over maybe a 1k run it still leaves you in front. I also found yesterday that it was possible to increase the size of my blade and not feel and for fatigue.

Its been really interesting paddling the board and seeing the difference the width makes to the speed and glide. There's quite a lot more things we have been finding out but some things are going to have to stay secret :) but lets just say there will be modified version being cut soon!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 07:57:33 AM »
Go as narrow as you can. I bet a 14' x 21" would be even faster. I know what you mean about the reduced stroke count with choppy conditions. The first couple of distance paddles I did on my unlimited consisted of 3 to 5 strokes then brace, 2 strokes... brace... I realized even though it moves through the swell and chop like a hot knife through butter, it's better for me on flat water.

BTW, wheres that unlimited? 19' x 21". Oooo  Yahh....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 08:37:28 AM »
supuk, you are the shaper Jim Terrell warned us about    ;)
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2015, 10:15:24 AM »
supuk, you are the shaper Jim Terrell warned us about    ;)
Yes, an individual shaper using his abilities to create a board that's fast by virtue of its shape, and the ability of the paddler to take advantage of it.   ;)
Supuk, I'm with TallDude--would love to see what you'd come up with for an unlimited...

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2015, 10:54:20 AM »
If it is possible to create a board that is as stable as the current boards at the 24 wide limit but narrower and fast without costing any more just by changing the shape why not? 14' speeds on a 12'6 with 20% less effort, yes please!

yes I think I am starting to get to a limit on how narrow I can go but at the moment that will probably be restricted by how wide my stance is. For some one half my size maybe we can go sub 20" im hoping I can get that way on a 14' board and when I can find time I will defiantly be trying.

Td- I have to admit I gave the hand shaped 19' blank away to some one else to Finnish as I though it would be far better just to cut a perfect one on the cnc, as of yet I have yet to get around to it!

ps I have yet to actually fall In on the 21.5" other than when I was trying to surf it on some micro bumps, im sure the time will come though.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2015, 12:12:00 PM »
If it is possible to create a board that is as stable as the current boards at the 24 wide limit but narrower and fast without costing any more just by changing the shape why not? 14' speeds on a 12'6 with 20% less effort, yes please!

yes I think I am starting to get to a limit on how narrow I can go but at the moment that will probably be restricted by how wide my stance is.
Exactly.  Plus, since several of the major board companies caved in and stopped making very narrow boards, people like you are the only way the whole issue of how narrow you can go on anything less than unlimited length can be explored.  So keep it up!

In regard to narrowness being restricted by how wide your stance is, that to me is a goal board design should be aiming at--figuring out how to make boards that have enough stability and flotation so that the only limiting factor for width is being able to stand comfortably on them.  So what you're doing is really interesting and important.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2015, 02:18:41 PM »
indeed i just wish i had more time and money to experiment and make faster progress. I have just built a very small test tank which is helping a little as i can play with small models to give ideas a go.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2015, 02:41:25 PM »
Charlie, welcome back from your trip. You are a BAD man!

Sounds like you are exploring areas that the windsurfer pop-out manufacturers will not be venturing into any time soon.

Glad for you that the "sea trials" have been a rousing success!

8)  8)  8)
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2015, 07:10:19 AM »
a few little modifications made, may have build a new one soon  :)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Its a illness and I just can't help myself 12'6 x 21.5"
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2016, 12:14:34 PM »
it's been a year since I did this board and we have paddled it a fare bit and come to a few conclusion. We have allso found that there is no way even paddleing a 24 wide board you can keep up with it so having a second one means I can train with a friend. while I was fairly happy on the old board and did not fall in it was not the most stable paddleing platform ever so the goal is to improve that along with playing with quite a radical change to the bottom shape. I have added a lot more volume into the board but mainly to just raise the hight of the rails to try and stop so much water coming in and allso raised the standing area up a fraction as I was bordering under the water line.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal