Author Topic: JL 9 5 Striker  (Read 15538 times)

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: JL 9 5 Striker
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2015, 06:10:01 AM »
The 9'5" Striker is just as stable (it's 31" wide and carries width throughout) as the 9'1"Allwave that's sitting in my garage.

i gotta try me one of them.  the volume puts me off a little (too low, in my case) but i need an all arounder to replace my allwave.  maybe i could add some lead weight to it, to stabilize it a bit :-).  time will tell!

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2015, 04:06:18 PM »
Have only one board that I use occasionally when wind drops, the 8 11.

175 lbs, 6'2", not a surfer, mostly windsurf at Punta San Carlos, Baja, MX.
Lots of small stuff with regular medium waves and occasional large.

The fin on your 9 5 is huge compared to my center fin, which is about the same size as the side fins.  Did it come with the board?

Can confirm observations about the board:
130 liters, 3 fins.
As easy to paddle as my one time SB 11 2.  But likely faster under paddle power.
Durable, beautiful, well made, but heavier than I would like; certainly lighter than 11 2
Great black diamond full deck pad
One can walk to the nose on the wave with no special skill required
Once stepped on the side of the tail expecting to fall off and board just turned right under me
For my marginal ability it is a bit too advanced, but on some days can catch dozens of small waves.
Have briefly tried the smaller JL wave boards and can get up on them, but they are much too unstable for me.  Mano, Qwad, Stun, etc., around 110 liters or less.

If someone wants it, but is not in a hurry, could eventually get it to them.  Would be in San Diego.  One very small paint chip, otherwise perfect, lime green.  Or trade for the 9 5.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2015, 10:17:07 AM »
Center fin is an FCS 8" Dolphin (it came w/a 7" JL Dolphin center and 4.5 sides)Opted for the larger one b/c my goal with this board is to improve my cross stepping.

The Dolphin is a nice all-around fin. Also have a 10" Wingnut fin that might work in this board.

Bille yes, I'll bet you'd get more glide and increase in stability with this 9'5". The 9'5" is a big (feeling) board to me @ 6'4" 200 lbs average (intermediate at best) surfer.

Have only one board that I use occasionally when wind drops, the 8 11.

175 lbs, 6'2", not a surfer, mostly windsurf at Punta San Carlos, Baja, MX.
Lots of small stuff with regular medium waves and occasional large.

The fin on your 9 5 is huge compared to my center fin, which is about the same size as the side fins.  Did it come with the board?

Can confirm observations about the board:
130 liters, 3 fins.
As easy to paddle as my one time SB 11 2.  But likely faster under paddle power.
Durable, beautiful, well made, but heavier than I would like; certainly lighter than 11 2
Great black diamond full deck pad
One can walk to the nose on the wave with no special skill required
Once stepped on the side of the tail expecting to fall off and board just turned right under me
For my marginal ability it is a bit too advanced, but on some days can catch dozens of small waves.
Have briefly tried the smaller JL wave boards and can get up on them, but they are much too unstable for me.  Mano, Qwad, Stun, etc., around 110 liters or less.

If someone wants it, but is not in a hurry, could eventually get it to them.  Would be in San Diego.  One very small paint chip, otherwise perfect, lime green.  Or trade for the 9 5.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2015, 07:56:02 AM »
So .... any Striker riders here played w/ fins at all?  my first time riding one of these boards today and the stock JL fins did not hold the board in too well once i got up toward the beak.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2015, 08:23:37 AM »
Can't say I have really been up on the nose or paddled it much or anything lately. I swapped the 8 inch dolphin centre fin for a 7 inch just because it feels better on the wave. I was considering trying it as a single with a nine inch fin.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2015, 02:18:33 PM »
How about the KWAD  anyone riding this board? what is it like?
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2015, 02:26:42 PM »
My 8'11 Striker came  with an 8" center and 4" sides.  Altho I am a bit of a fin-aholic, I've haven't been tempted to change the stock fins out.  They seem to work really well for nose riding and turning from the tail. 

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2015, 11:05:09 PM »
My 8'11 Striker came  with an 8" center and 4" sides.  Altho I am a bit of a fin-aholic, I've haven't been tempted to change the stock fins out.  They seem to work really well for nose riding and turning from the tail.

Are you getting both feet up at the top?

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2015, 06:16:58 AM »

No, but cheater fives all day long and great steering from the first 2' of the board. 

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2015, 08:50:35 AM »

No, but cheater fives all day long and great steering from the first 2' of the board.

Yup, I'm not sure this board will do toes on the nose for mere mortals..unless you are super good at noseriding or very light.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2015, 12:14:58 PM »
Not to hijack the thread, but  I own the Kwad (Outsidewave) and love the board.  Mine is 8'7" x 29 " 115 liters.  Really comfortable, good surfing SUP, and despite it's 8'7" length, it catches waves easily.  Very loose  and for 29" wide, it surfs like a narrower board.  It's not as fast as my HObie Raw, and need to pump the board a bit to beat out wave sections, but what it lacks in speed it makes up for in stability and ease of paddling out through and into waves.  Quality construction, nice deck pad and decent stock fins.  The carry handle is really comfy too.

I really like this board..so much that I bought a s

I posted a video of me on the Kwad this winter  in the sessions section
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2015, 02:25:35 AM »
well, i've put a 9.5" old-school Sparky fin on it and am now waiting on waves to give it a try.  probably change the riding attributes a whole bunch but maybe i'll like it.  we shall see ...

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2015, 11:40:25 AM »
well, i've put a 9.5" old-school Sparky fin on it and am now waiting on waves to give it a try.  probably change the riding attributes a whole bunch but maybe i'll like it.  we shall see ...

Let me know how you get on. I have stuck the stock fin back in....see how I go....serial fin swapper lol

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2015, 06:04:49 PM »
Interested in this board, it's either this one or the Black and Blue. Will use for noseriding and all around longboard feel in waist high or smaller mushy EC waves.

Any comparisons vs. Black and Blue? Sounds like this board would be perfect as it's a bit easier to ride than the B&B, and can still get some nose time.

I'm 175 lbs. for comparison too.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2015, 05:34:50 AM »
Interested in this board, it's either this one or the Black and Blue. Will use for noseriding and all around longboard feel in waist high or smaller mushy EC waves.

Any comparisons vs. Black and Blue? Sounds like this board would be perfect as it's a bit easier to ride than the B&B, and can still get some nose time.

I'm 175 lbs. for comparison too.

Linter has both.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal