Author Topic: JL 9 5 Striker  (Read 15535 times)

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: JL 9 5 Striker
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 09:57:32 AM »
Sorry I just got it and have not been out yet as soon as I do will post initial thoughts but I did weigh it ;D

Read Jarvissup's take on it...He's a great surfer with a lot of insight who surfs where I go and knows this board well.

Thanks Ake G
How would you rate the board for knee to head high, walkin the board and noseriding?    I have a 9'6 prone noserider and trying to get the same feel from a sup.

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 11:02:40 AM »
Thanks, good review from jarvissup, would appreciate your thoughts once you get to grips with the board.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 12:25:45 PM »
Coldsup, The Stun Gun is a great board. Of all of the boards I've owned and demoed, the Stun Gun is my favorite on a wave that has some juice. My wife and I have the 8'2", 8'7" and the 9'2" as a result. I am 6,' 185 lbs and ride the 8'7" more often than not. I'd say I'm on that board 80% of the time.  The 8'2" is a blast in very clean surf with no wind, but becomes work in chop, the 9'2" is reserved for large, primarily Hatteras hurricane swell.  Good luck with it, I'm interested in hearing a report after you get a few good sessions.

I'll let you and others know how I get on.....I went for the big one as I reckon I will need the size. I'm just after a lively board....but not too lively.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 06:10:06 AM »
Rocker profile

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 06:14:08 AM »
Nose

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 06:22:11 AM »
Tail

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 09:27:09 AM »
thanks, nice.  i love flat rockered boards w/ the only kick being in  the tail and it looks like the striker fits the bill.  now i've just got to see if i can stand on it.,,
   looking forward to your rider's report ... when the plows clear a path to your beach.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 10:12:12 AM »
Put my order in for one exactly the same as your AKEG .......but it will be a few weeks until I get hold of it. Love those lines! That rocker is going to great on my rolling beach breaks.....fast I bet. I think that is the best rocker pic I have seen of the Striker actually....certainly the first time I have seen how flat it is.....superb.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:20:50 AM by coldsup »

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 06:59:03 AM »
You had the board out yet AkeG?

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 07:34:52 AM »
Had my first go on the 9'5" Striker on Monday but just getting off a 3 week sick (off the water) so I'm a little rusty and still not myself .....as well as almost 2 years of nothing but short board muscle memory to overcome.

Close out beach break short period waist high clean conditions 10-15 mph steady offshore winds.

The Striker paddles great, very very very stable easy getting out through the white water and over breaking waves in spite of the wide nose.

Windy conditions would not allow wave catching way outside so I quickly got used to the flatter nose rocker on the drop as right away ......almost buried it once on a late drop in a larger wave but got low and strong on the tail and pulled it out.

The relatively fine rails hold well in the wave face, made take-offs at an angle easy. Goes rail to rail easily, carves well and has nice drive out of turns.Wide nose was difficult at times to get used to.....had to keep it down lower on cutbacks to not catch in the wind. Did not have to be completely on the tail to turn but of course board does turn sharper and quicker with my back foot over the fins.

Faster down the line than I expected it to be, fast but not so fast that I'd outrun the wave (like on my Hobie Raw 10'6"x 30") Even with my stiff n' awkward cross step/half shuffle I could walk towards nose and back....tail stays buried the whole time and I can pretty much turn board, from anywhere on the upper 1/2.

Overall a pretty forgiving ride, the Striker can be surfed as relaxed or as aggressively as you want and is really no compromise in either case as a longboard SUP in appropriate conditions.If you're into nose riding, this board is outstanding! When I get that part of my game in order and get out in different conditions I'll have more to say.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 07:57:15 AM by Ake G »

supthecreek

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 09:06:43 AM »
Glad to hear you are feeling better Ake  :D
Sounds like you are satisfied with round one of the longboard experience.

Fear not... it will get above freezing someday... then you can really take it out for a walk.
When you get a bit more accustomed to the board, fire up the GoPro or Solo Shot and give us a look.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2015, 11:12:26 AM »
  i gotta try me one of them.  the volume puts me off a little (too low, in my case) but i need an all arounder to replace my allwave.  maybe i could add some lead weight to it, to stabilize it a bit :-).  time will tell!

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 11:15:58 AM »
Nice....sounds like it does more or less what everyone has been telling me. I guess the nose thing will just be something you learn to control on more aggressive surfing but really looking forward to some summer nose riding on mellow waves.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 02:49:35 AM »
Had my first go on the 9'5" Striker on Monday but just getting off a 3 week sick (off the water) so I'm a little rusty and still not myself .....as well as almost 2 years of nothing but short board muscle memory to overcome.

Close out beach break short period waist high clean conditions 10-15 mph steady offshore winds.

The Striker paddles great, very very very stable easy getting out through the white water and over breaking waves in spite of the wide nose.

Windy conditions would not allow wave catching way outside so I quickly got used to the flatter nose rocker on the drop as right away ......almost buried it once on a late drop in a larger wave but got low and strong on the tail and pulled it out.

The relatively fine rails hold well in the wave face, made take-offs at an angle easy. Goes rail to rail easily, carves well and has nice drive out of turns.Wide nose was difficult at times to get used to.....had to keep it down lower on cutbacks to not catch in the wind. Did not have to be completely on the tail to turn but of course board does turn sharper and quicker with my back foot over the fins.

Faster down the line than I expected it to be, fast but not so fast that I'd outrun the wave (like on my Hobie Raw 10'6"x 30") Even with my stiff n' awkward cross step/half shuffle I could walk towards nose and back....tail stays buried the whole time and I can pretty much turn board, from anywhere on the upper 1/2.

Overall a pretty forgiving ride, the Striker can be surfed as relaxed or as aggressively as you want and is really no compromise in either case as a longboard SUP in appropriate conditions.If you're into nose riding, this board is outstanding! When I get that part of my game in order and get out in different conditions I'll have more to say.

Happy that you went the 9 5 or do you reckon you could have gone the smaller version? I swithered on that but like you I have the JP as a smaller board for fun.....good to have a bit more glide in and noseriding ease.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 06:01:27 AM »
No doubt the 8'11" Striker would have worked well for me but yes I've got plenty of small boards with the 8'8" JP wide leading the way.

I wanted a bigger board that I need to move around on to make it go correctly, makes my whole body feel more engaged to the wave head to toe.

The 9'5" feels like it's going to be perfect...not so big that I feel like a passenger and not so small that I can't spend time up around the nose.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal