Author Topic: JL 9 5 Striker  (Read 15539 times)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
JL 9 5 Striker
« on: February 22, 2015, 09:48:08 PM »
Who is paddling one of these beauties? I have been intrigued by these boards for a while now and wondered what their capabilities are like for an average surfer. There is no getting away from having a flat nose and the issues this brings in head high surf but would be good to hear. Thanks

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: JL 9 5 Striker
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 03:56:00 AM »
I owned one for a couple of years. At the time, my wife and I had: SB 8'10" Wide Point, SB 8'2" Wide Point, Fanatic 8'10" Allwave and the 9.5" Striker.  We surf ,largely, on Cape Hatteras and New England.  I'm 6', 185 lbs.  and I began prone surfing in 1989/90, sup in 2008.  Anyway,  I love that board. I ended up on that board more often than not, and felt that it was simply a better board than the others listed above. This is where I learned the term Smoooooth. Man, that board is smooth, it really smooths out the wrinkles and allows you to predictably enjoy the ride.  It's smooth, predictable, but slashy...it turns better than many "performance" boards off the tail. Everyone that tried it loved it, many for different reasons.  One, less skilled friend, loved it because it was easy to ride, but would turn from input mid board....meaning she didn't have to run to the tail to trim and turn the board.  I ended up riding it in some pretty steep waves because I like the way it rode and how predictable it was. Making steeper, critical, drops on a long board style board required more attention, but I loved that ride.
    Eventually, I ended up buying another Jimmy Lewis board to ride the steeper Hatteras waves.  One consistent of all of the JL boards that I've ridden is that smoothness.  I'm sure a lot of it is the shape, but I'm convinced it's also the construction. It's a great construction, tough, there is a video somewhere showing a car run over one of the JL surfboard. In that video the board flattens as the car rolls over it, then the board rebounds without breaking. Basically, it flexes like a traditionally constructed surfboard, but does not snap.  I think that flex is what makes these boards ride like a surfboard...not bouncy, no chatter.
     My 9.5" Striker, well I eventually sold it as I down sized.  It was a tough decision, and I regret it! I owed that board a lot, and I should have kept it. I miss the Striker and miss having a long board.  If anyone has a used 8'11" Srtiker and wants to part with it, let me know.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 04:16:29 AM »
Thanks Jarvissup.....have to say I have been toing and froing so much over which next board and I really want it to be another JL. I think the boards he shapes are great and the man himself has spent a good while answering my questions. I first thought the 10 8 Hanalei but then heard mixed reports about it being a little tippy and old school whilst others say it goes small and big. I then thought 9 7 Stun Gun for excitement and fun wave riding but my waves usually lack size or power so don't need a performance board for that. I have a quad fish so ruled out the Kwad and new World Wide.

That left the Striker - right size and width and volume for me. My only hang up in my mind is the big flat nose and whether the rocker there is going to annoy me. I'm surfing beach break so it might be okay but I am just not sure.

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 06:49:18 AM »
I'm 5'10/175 lbs and I've had about a dozen different SUPs over the years; customs and production boards.  I now have an 8'11 Striker.  It's great board for for marginal conditions such as beach breaks that quickly morph from mush to close-outs.  The board has plenty of stability and speed (due to the flatter rocker and width) for early entry and outrunning sections, but is easy to toss around.  The Striker works just fine in punchier, steeper waves, but I prefer to prone in those conditions.  The large nose has never gotten in my way on later, steeper take offs.  JL boards also come with fins that work with his boards so you don't have to waste time and money experimenting to find fins that work/get the board dialed in.       

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 12:40:51 AM »
anyone got an good pics or video footage of this board in action?

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 11:39:33 PM »
Thanks guys...I decided to get a Stun a Gun instead.....can always try the Striker next :)

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 04:00:38 AM »
Coldsup, The Stun Gun is a great board. Of all of the boards I've owned and demoed, the Stun Gun is my favorite on a wave that has some juice. My wife and I have the 8'2", 8'7" and the 9'2" as a result. I am 6,' 185 lbs and ride the 8'7" more often than not. I'd say I'm on that board 80% of the time.  The 8'2" is a blast in very clean surf with no wind, but becomes work in chop, the 9'2" is reserved for large, primarily Hatteras hurricane swell.  Good luck with it, I'm interested in hearing a report after you get a few good sessions.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 04:03:24 AM »
That's Great!

Which size?

I was in-between sizes on this one (stun gun) when I was thinking of going this way and had trouble deciding.I had always seem play it safe and go UP one size when in doubt.

If I had gone 9'7" would I get stuck riding this one more longboard big carving turn fly down the line style OR if I had gone smaller @ 9'2" would that one be more suited to be ridden as (I think?) the design was intended for....a more vertical slashy performance style?

Or would either one have been the right answer?

quote author=coldsup link=topic=26505.msg273888#msg273888 date=1425109173]
Thanks guys...I decided to get a Stun a Gun instead.....can always try the Striker next :)
[/quote]

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 05:01:24 AM »
Anyone know what weight the 9'5 Striker is please.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 05:21:36 AM »

Weights in here Dingfix http://www.jlid-italydistribution.com/Stand-Up-Paddle/

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 05:30:49 AM »
That's Great!

Which size?

I was in-between sizes on this one (stun gun) when I was thinking of going this way and had trouble deciding.I had always seem play it safe and go UP one size when in doubt.

If I had gone 9'7" would I get stuck riding this one more longboard big carving turn fly down the line style OR if I had gone smaller @ 9'2" would that one be more suited to be ridden as (I think?) the design was intended for....a more vertical slashy performance style?

I went for the biggest one AkeG....same amount of litres as my 8 8 Widebody. The 9 2 would have been okay on clean days but whenever we get decent sized waves we nearly always have less than ideal conditions. I wanted some extra length and decent float as I would rather have a bigger board feeling. I like longboard type surfing so quite happy for a more drawn out carving feel.....I am no slash and up and down acrobat😀.  It was a toss up with the Striker but thought what the hell....let's see if I can learn a few more tricks. Full write up in a couple of months...

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 05:45:56 AM »
Mine is 21 lbs with fins

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 05:49:57 AM »
Nice! I'd have gone the same way.

Looking forward to your take on the board.

That's Great!

Which size?

I went for the biggest one AkeG....same amount of litres as my 8 8 Widebody. The 9 2 would have been okay on clean days but whenever we get decent sized waves we nearly always have less than ideal conditions. I wanted some extra length and decent float as I would rather have a bigger board feeling. I like longboard type surfing so quite happy for a more drawn out carving feel.....I am no slash and up and down acrobat😀.  It was a toss up with the Striker but thought what the hell....let's see if I can learn a few more tricks. Full write up in a couple of months...

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 06:03:08 AM »
And looking to hear about the Striker too....I can see me ditching a big Nalu for one in the next few years.

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 09:03:23 AM »
Thanks Ake G
How would you rate the board for knee to head high, walkin the board and noseriding?    I have a 9'6 prone noserider and trying to get the same feel from a sup.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal