Author Topic: New Board Coming Soon  (Read 9085 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Board Coming Soon
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 10:02:27 AM »
Looks like fun Tom. The flatter mid rocker is a must in our typically mushy breaks. Brian at Procam CNC'd my first custom unlimited. He did it in two pieces because it was 18', then it was glued together. Brian has been running that CNC long before SUP's became popular. He does an excellent job.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 07:09:06 PM »
Looks like a tail turnin' shortboarders dream!  Let us know how you like it.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 09:35:18 AM »
I am Green with Envy..
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 11:53:49 AM »
Tom, that's a great looking board and it looks like it would totally work. Thanks for sharing it.

Is the location of your fin boxes typical of what you usually do? If so, how did you come up with that? I'm asking because the cluster seems closer together and farther forward than most. (I've been thinking for a while that the cluster on my board is too far back and the back fins are too far away from the front fins.)

Does anyone know if you can email the file of a board you designed with the FREE version of Shape 3D to a shaper, or is that ability only included with the paid version?
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 01:47:14 PM »
Tom, we would like a detailed ride report on the good looking board!
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 06:23:21 PM »
Tom, that's a great looking board and it looks like it would totally work. Thanks for sharing it.

Is the location of your fin boxes typical of what you usually do? If so, how did you come up with that? I'm asking because the cluster seems closer together and farther forward than most. (I've been thinking for a while that the cluster on my board is too far back and the back fins are too far away from the front fins.)

Does anyone know if you can email the file of a board you designed with the FREE version of Shape 3D to a shaper, or is that ability only included with the paid version?
I have the front fins at 15 and the rears at 9. The fronts are  1\18 off the rails and the rears are 2 1\4. You aren't riding way back on the tail like with a shorter board so it's important to have your back foot over the cluster, otherwise the board will be stiffer. The quads have so much damn drive that its ok to have them forward a bit. The rearward and more spread out cluster will draw turns out more which is suited to smaller boards with a good amount of rocker. Every design element must balance another one out.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 06:31:39 PM »
Tom, we would like a detailed ride report on the good looking board!
Mike, wow I don't know what to say. The board is fricken amazing. Ridiculous speed and comes around quickly and easily with almost no speed loss. It'll be awhile before my skill level catches up. Still just trying to hold on for dear life when it gets moving. Pretty stable. I can stand on it while waiting for sets if it isn't too choppy otherwise I have to keep moving a little.

This will be my go to file for boards like this. It can be tweaked pretty easily and the numbers still work. I think for me it's about as short as I think I'll be going on something like this. Super fast paddler due to the bottom so definitely a keeper. Stoked you like your new board!

TW
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 08:31:40 PM »
Sounds like a winner.  Yeah, it's funny that our intuitions on what will work for us are often correct. 

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:35:15 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 09:58:27 PM »
Yup, your fin/box setup looks similar to what Joe Blair does. I've owned a lot of Joe's boards and  his cluster-forward setup always worked for me cuz I like my fins under my foot instead of way out the back. And if the boards too loose in big stuff, you can always put a FCS plug in the tail and stiffen it with a dark driver or nubster. One of Joe's primal bitches whenever he see's most boards is to immediately comment about how wrong the fins are set up.

A couple questions for you please...

1) When you say the front fins are at 15" and the rears at 9" - are you measuring from the tip of the tail to the front base of the actual fins or the front of FCS box opening?

2) And for the distance to the rail (1 1/8" for fronts and 2 1/4" for rears), are you measuring from the leading edge of the fin to the edge of the rail?

3) What fin design are you using? Would you change them or do you like them so far?

I really like the kick you put in the tail. Nice for late take offs and making the board spin around when you stomp on the tail, eh?

I have the front fins at 15 and the rears at 9. The fronts are  1\18 off the rails and the rears are 2 1\4. You aren't riding way back on the tail like with a shorter board so it's important to have your back foot over the cluster, otherwise the board will be stiffer. The quads have so much damn drive that its ok to have them forward a bit. The rearward and more spread out cluster will draw turns out more which is suited to smaller boards with a good amount of rocker. Every design element must balance another one out.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2015, 07:19:32 AM »
A couple questions for you please...

1) When you say the front fins are at 15" and the rears at 9" - are you measuring from the tip of the tail to the front base of the actual fins or the front of FCS box opening?
Fin measurements are always at the trailing edge of the fin

2) And for the distance to the rail (1 1/8" for fronts and 2 1/4" for rears), are you measuring from the leading edge of the fin to the edge of the rail?
See above

3) What fin design are you using? Would you change them or do you like them so far?
Still playing around

I really like the kick you put in the tail. Nice for late take offs and making the board spin around when you stomp on the tail, eh?
The tail kick allows me to keep the middle of the board very flat. This area also has a double concave inside a single concave for generating very high speed and very fast paddling. The board feels ALIVE.
 You could have a board with the same overall rocker numbers but the characteristics would be vastly different due to where the curve is actually placed on the board.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 07:42:22 AM by supsurf-tw »
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
10-0 Brusurf for teach

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2015, 12:44:47 PM »
I was looking at your board and scratching my head wondering how those fin measurements worked so thanks for clearing that up for me.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 01:01:50 PM by magentawave »

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2015, 01:02:55 PM »
Tom, Looks lovely sounds great. Similar to the two King's boards that I own based on your picks, cad, and - most importantly - how it works for you.

Single to double with v going right through to the back fins makes for a fast board that you can turn.

Really sweet looking ride!

8)  8)  8)
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard