Author Topic: Heading to SoCAL tomorrow: SUP Rental Options  (Read 4123 times)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Heading to SoCAL tomorrow: SUP Rental Options
« on: February 21, 2015, 05:43:40 AM »
I spoke to Mitch (Mitches Surf Shop in La Jolla) yesterday to see what assortment of SUPs he has for rent and learned he's got quite a few Jimmy Lewis' and Riverias'.  I remember him seeming a little surprised that I was riding an 11'x31 (NSP Element) SUP in east coast small stuff - surprise as related to the length.  I gather from last years conversation that he's a small SUP guy and it sounds like he's a got a good number of rentals in the 7-9' range.  I explained my skill level (I can catch small-ish wave fairly easily on the NSP and ride down the line without great difficulty), but that if I where to go with a shorter board I need something pretty stable and likely in the 32-33" width range.  My primary goal is to hit the water running and have fun and not spend all my time falling off and trying to balance on something I have no business being on.  Mitch is great about switching out boards so there is that option but I'd prefer not to running back and forth to the shop.

Curious if anyone can reco what to look for (better model for my ability as briefly described above) in either of these brands, and another SUP rental shop in the area that might be an option if I strike out at Mitches. Thanks!

Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Heading to SoCAL tomorrow: SUP Rental Options
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 07:20:49 AM »
I went from 11' to Simsup s3 8'4" after month of experience.

It is basically Simmon's shape with super wide tail.

I was skeptical about its stability but Ralph(Sup-Posiiton) assured me that I'll be fine on it, and yeah the shape makes it really stable, only thing that was disadvantage and its adventage was the fact that it was hard to paddle straight. But it also meant easier to turn around for the wave.

carvin carter

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 08:58:05 AM »
I can recommend the JL Kwad. I went from 11x30 to the 9.7 model pretty easily. Took a couple sessions to get used to catching waves a little further inside and dropping straight into them instead of at an angle like I did on my 11. I'm 6.0 200# solid intermediate eastcoaster. This board is plenty stable for my size. What a great oppurtunity for you to find your next boatd. Enjoy!

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »
Jump: "I went from 11' to Simsup s3 8'4" after month of experience. "  Wow!  That's quite a jump!  Sounds like you got a winner SUP

Carvin:  I'm a little taller but same weight so its encouraging to hear your experience.  I know what you mean about it being VERY nice to catch waves a bit further out on a 11' board and at an angle...so nice.  I'm planning on pulling the trigger on a new board this spring.....I'm pretty much decided on an Allwave 9'5" HRS and have been in touch with JimK.  I'd love to try one of those but it doesn't sound like its a popular west coast board(??)

Thanks again!
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 11:13:17 AM »
If you are around Huntington Hit me up...
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 11:24:06 AM »
Thank you Ralph!  Believe me, first thing I did was google map directions to Santa Barbara to determine distance to your shop.  Needless to say, I was a bit discouraged to see its about a 3 hour drive.  I get in San Diego mid afternoon tomorrow and will be racing to get up to La Jolla and get a few hours in if I'm lucky.  I'll be around all week and its possible I could get up to Huntington later in the week, which REALLY closes the distance gap.  I will definitely should you a message if I can swing a half day up that way!  Thanks again!!!!!    8)
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 04:29:06 PM »
OEX Point Loma is near the airport and West Coast Paddle Sports is just off the 5 as you head north.  Both have rentals.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 08:52:46 PM »
I went from 11' to Simsup s3 8'4" after month of experience.

It is basically Simmon's shape with super wide tail.

I was skeptical about its stability but Ralph(Sup-Posiiton) assured me that I'll be fine on it, and yeah the shape makes it really stable, only thing that was disadvantage and its adventage was the fact that it was hard to paddle straight. But it also meant easier to turn around for the wave.

And I've seen this guy ride it, he tears it up.   
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 06:37:50 PM »
Thank you Ralph!  Believe me, first thing I did was google map directions to Santa Barbara to determine distance to your shop.  Needless to say, I was a bit discouraged to see its about a 3 hour drive.  I get in San Diego mid afternoon tomorrow and will be racing to get up to La Jolla and get a few hours in if I'm lucky.  I'll be around all week and its possible I could get up to Huntington later in the week, which REALLY closes the distance gap.  I will definitely should you a message if I can swing a half day up that way!  Thanks again!!!!!    8)

Huntington Beach is appx 100 miles from San Diego.
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 06:35:34 PM »
SP:  My bad!  I thought your were up SB.  If I can talk the wife into a drive up the coast vice staying around SD visiting this weekend I may be able to get up your way.  I'd love to be able to try a Hammer!

Hope to catch up later this week!!!  I'll drop you a line if it looks promising.

Thanks!
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 02:27:41 PM »
SP:  My bad!  I thought your were up SB.  If I can talk the wife into a drive up the coast vice staying around SD visiting this weekend I may be able to get up your way.  I'd love to be able to try a Hammer!

Hope to catch up later this week!!!  I'll drop you a line if it looks promising.

Thanks!

He doesn't sell the hammer. ck his site

http://www.sup-position.com/
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
JK 7'-10" x 41/4" = 106 L
Joe Blair Gun 8-10" x 28 x 4 1/4
198 lbs - 5'-9"

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 02:40:27 PM »
Aloha WhatsSUP,
We're the Santa Barbara Hammer shop/factory...we have a whole rack of Hammer demos...

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/hammer-series/

Very popular board...we are trying to make them as fast as we can...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2015/02/california-built.html

It is basically a 3 hour drive if you time it right...

Santa Barbara is beautiful...and, our shop is walking distance to the beach and over 20 wine tasting rooms, if that does anything for the wifey...;-)

Zoner "IRideYellow" drove 4 hours down a couple of weeks ago from Santa Cruz to demo:

General Discussion / Re: Demoing 4 Wardog boards in Santa Barbara

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,26335.msg270664.html#msg270664
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:52:47 PM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 10:06:43 AM »
Sittin here on a big bird somewhere over Texas heading back to Maryland and having been in La Jolla the last 8 days......deep sigh.   :'(

I got out several times over the last week bouncing between Tourmaline and La Jolla Shores.  SOOO much fun!  The rain over the last two days has kept me out of the water given a good bit of concern of increased bateria levels due to lots of runoff, which is a real bummer.  And although i was REALLY tempted yesterday am I decided not to risk the chance of getting some funk or sick.

I ended up getting areally good deal on a rental from Mitch for a 10'2"x32" Riveria.  I  was slightly challenged for the first hour shaking the winter cobwebs off but quickly got the knack of that board down and had a lot of super fun rides later in the first session and those that followed.

Was hoping to drive further up the coast with the wife but the Wx and a visit to to her sisters just didn't give us an opportunity....hopefully, next trip.

I'm very thankful for having had an opportunity to get out a few times....ESPECIALLY after reading some of the Northeast posts!  You guys are hard core!

Come on spring!!!!!!!!!
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal