Author Topic: New Joe Blair Gun in the making  (Read 9455 times)

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
New Joe Blair Gun in the making
« on: February 19, 2015, 09:20:20 AM »
I spent some time this weekend with the man the myth the OG...Joe Blair!  I cant say enough good things about Joe. He is such a great guy and what a shaper!  He has spent a lot of time with my son Aidan and has taken him under his arm, given him sponsorship, guidance and keeps popping out great boards.

Attached are pics of my new gun...since I left my other one in Hawaii....its a 8'10" x 28" x 4' 1/2" im guessing about 115 L.

I will post more pics when its finished. And do a write up.  If any of you get a chance to visit Solana Beach (North San Diego) you should take some time and visit Joe. The stories and history of surfing alone is worth the stop. Oh and hit up tabletops, its a great little reef break down there.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:34:53 AM by GOTWAVZ »
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
JK 7'-10" x 41/4" = 106 L
Joe Blair Gun 8-10" x 28 x 4 1/4
198 lbs - 5'-9"

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: New Joe Blair Gun in the making
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 06:44:30 PM »
Really nice board.
@rf.boardworks

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 07:36:44 PM »
I think Joe is a great guy and a really good ambassador for the SUP world who doesn't get enough credit. Ahead of his time with some design ideas in my opinion.  Nice looking ride!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 08:48:14 PM »
Way ahead of his time. When he and Southcounty started making wide boards they were considered crutches--or just silly. Now it's the norm for short boards except for the super talented or the 140 pounders.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 09:28:49 PM »
I've had Joe Blair 8'4" funboard for a month and half, and that was my intro to prone surfing. Glassing was so legit. Zero dings by the time I was done with it.

Is his pricing on the website still correct?

Looks like his poly board go for 500 and xtr epoxy goes for 600.

Custom Joe Blair fun-board.....hmmmmmm.. 7" x 22" x 3"
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:44:17 PM by jumpfrom13k »

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 10:07:40 PM »
what in the...who in the... 8) i get the kid the best sponsor on the planet and i dont even get a little love :-* :-* :-*

my 8'11 gun was directly behind you and you didn't take a picture of that either,,,im seriously reconsidering this ""besty" thing i thought we had ;D

my 9'8 gun is still at the LG's, in pieces.. i guess i better go get a case of good beer, i need those fins :o

i had a 9'8 gun, i have a 10'1 gun and a 10'5 gun,,,,soon an 8'11gun.  i have a natural wide stance and i love the extra width.  i am running in the 30'width range and have not had any problems,,joe is magical

Joe shaped me (kingmac foam)a bunch of plugs.  every shaper that got a hand on one of his blanks had nothing but praise.  Joe is considered "the man" among shapers, and i am happy he considers me a friend,,great guy

i would have just gone and bought a board off ralph the other day, but i dont think i could bring myself to cheat on joe,,,sorry ralph,,,i do need a paddle though,,all my shit is broke 8)

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 12:57:01 PM »
what in the...who in the... 8) i get the kid the best sponsor on the planet and i dont even get a little love :-* :-* :-*

my 8'11 gun was directly behind you and you didn't take a picture of that either,,,im seriously reconsidering this ""besty" thing i thought we had ;D

my 9'8 gun is still at the LG's, in pieces.. i guess i better go get a case of good beer, i need those fins :o

i had a 9'8 gun, i have a 10'1 gun and a 10'5 gun,,,,soon an 8'11gun.  i have a natural wide stance and i love the extra width.  i am running in the 30'width range and have not had any problems,,joe is magical

Joe shaped me (kingmac foam)a bunch of plugs.  every shaper that got a hand on one of his blanks had nothing but praise.  Joe is considered "the man" among shapers, and i am happy he considers me a friend,,great guy

i would have just gone and bought a board off ralph the other day, but i dont think i could bring myself to cheat on joe,,,sorry ralph,,,i do need a paddle though,,all my shit is broke 8)

Doug - you are the man, yes, thank you for the introduction!! Much appreciated amigo!

Here is a pic of your unfinished board....I lit a fire under his Butt and got yours rolling:)
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
198 lbs - 5'-9"

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 04:18:13 PM »
Awesome!  Great boards and fun connections in there.  Lucky kid...
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 08:39:24 PM »
We visit joes shack every year.  I always look forward to spending time with him.  Great stories!!!
Several years ago I bought his 9'6", then sold that and bought his 8'10" x 30".  Then I had him make a custom poly shortboard for me.  All of them have been great boards, and his prices are amazing.  Last year I demoed a couple of his new boards, but opted for the Kings sidewinder.  Cost me a bunch more.  We will be down camping at San Elijo at the end of April, so I will be hanging around his shop for some more stories. 

And tabletops is a great break down there.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 12:07:21 PM »
Good ol Joe. He made my windsurfers and surfboards for many years. Is the gun done yet? It would be great to see some photos of it. What is the volume supposed to be?
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 01:38:18 PM »
Good ol Joe. He made my windsurfers and surfboards for many years. Is the gun done yet? It would be great to see some photos of it. What is the volume supposed to be?

I got the board two weeks ago but couldn't use it in "real" surf until the past 3 days.  I will take some pics and put a report together.
In the mean time I absolutely love the board and am stoked I took the plunge in getting a "gun" for big waves....it's so nice to have the right equipment for the job.
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
198 lbs - 5'-9"

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »
Anything new with the gun? Photos, please?  ;) ;) In the fifth photo there are rectangles where the fin boxes will go. Did he insert denser foam in those area's?

I got the board two weeks ago but couldn't use it in "real" surf until the past 3 days.  I will take some pics and put a report together.
In the mean time I absolutely love the board and am stoked I took the plunge in getting a "gun" for big waves....it's so nice to have the right equipment for the job.

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 09:31:26 AM »
joe just finished mine as well.  i think mine is 29"wide and maybe 8'11. who knows, all you board nerds, hahahha grab a board, quit yor snivilin and go surf.  hahaha  the only reason i dont know the dimensions is because joe forgot what he made me, haha.  he knows me and my surfing so well i just ask him to make an 8' gun for such and such wave and it always turns out magical.  he really knows how to make an extension of yourself to play in water, and it really shows when you get on one of his boards.

gotwavz got to use his on the last swell we had and he was very happy with it.  i think he was surprised about the versatility of the board.  it glides and holds a line like you would expect in a gun, but it is still loose in the pocket and holds a nice carving line coming off the top into a round house bank, thats hard to do on most traditional guns. 

i wont get to ride mine for a while, hopefully something comes our way soon

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 10:00:14 AM »
Sorry been super busy and traveling a lot.  I don't have the specific dimensions but will get them this weekend.  Something like 8 x 10 x 27 x 4 3/4.

The board is amazing. I took a leap of faith on this "gun" with all the rage going on about Tomo style etc this is the complete opposite. Narrow and long with turned up tip and tail.  I was afraid it was like the original SUP boards we used to ride 4-5 years ago, but it's not.

The board absolutely rips. On big days (DOH and up for me) it inspires confidence like nothing else. I would put the volume at about 115L and it was actually challenging when I first stood up on it. Im so used to L41 wide and short giving a lot of side to side stability this doesn't have that, the volume is front to back.  I was a little nervous when I took it out the first night of a building swell with wind chop how tippy it was.  But that went away very quickly....in fact after my first wave.

Joe warned me I had to get back on the tail and it would turn like a short board. Yeah it did that and handle the drop on some 10 foot faced bombs I got on it.  It did everything I imagine a gun doing, good glide - got me in on the set waves outside, stable down the face as you hit MACH 1 and pucker as you aim for the shoulder, then take a step back once your there and whip that baby around like a short board.

I will take some pics, hopefully this weekend.  There is nothing like having a gun in your quiver. I used to not even want to go out in HB when it got too big and closed out, this changes everything.

I highly advise going to visit Joe, he is a legend of our time, great story teller, super nice guy and a hell of a shaper!

HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
198 lbs - 5'-9"

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 10:03:49 AM »
Cool. It seems like a gun sup could be fun in a lot of conditions too. Have you surfed it in small stuff yet? If so, how was it?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal