Author Topic: Paddle snapped  (Read 7369 times)

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Paddle snapped
« on: December 08, 2008, 05:26:15 AM »
I thought my paddle was going to last forever!   Not!

My wood paddle that I have cherished since Aut 07 has snapped!  It has groaned and moaned, been beat on, spanked and so forth but yesterday in a body slam it became three chunks.  I guess better the paddle than my ribs.

Has anyone broke a carbon shaft paddle shaft with a body slam?  If so did it cut you or leave a sharp jagged edge? I have a couple carbon paddles but prefer the woody.

Now I got to get back in the shop and complete my wood paddle in the works. 

rocadura

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle snapped
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 08:56:19 AM »
can you post some`pics?
how it really happened?
what brand was it. ?

thanks

Byronmaui

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 09:03:18 AM »
Owner of Mauirippers.com snapped his C4 yesterday. Here is the last known photo prior to breakage. Maybe he will chime in...

E.J

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 05:31:59 PM »
Tuberider, Need a new wood paddle? Check out JBS paddles hand made in So Cal.    http://johnsonbigstick.blogspot.com/

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 05:42:04 PM »
Carbon shaft paddles snap nasty sharp and in the big outrigger crews they have had some pretty serious lacerations to the paddler aft of the breakage.

That is my #1 concern...being a few miles out and having my paddle break, which is why I go with ZRE

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 05:45:34 AM »
Wish I knew how to do the picture transfers? 

I fell on the shaft while paddling out thru a good sized set. I fell on the shaft on my side.  I found two pieces and thought I had it all but a section got blasted out around 6" at the break point.  I am afraid that had it been carbon I might have been injured by laceration. 

Thanks for the paddle suggestion, it is a beauty.  But I have laid it up now I just need to get it cut out and shaped.  I have more motivation now.  Maybe it was a good thing that the shaft broke as it did.  I have broken ribs on several occassions and I did get a good side shot but my muscle took most of it instead of my ribs.  My wood shaft will be 1 1/2 x 2.  A little beefier than the one I broke and it is laid up with five stringers of various woods.  It will weigh more but I like the strength and weight.

Sea ya

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 10:59:16 AM »
Carbon shaft paddles snap nasty sharp and in the big outrigger crews they have had some pretty serious lacerations to the paddler aft of the breakage.

That is my #1 concern...being a few miles out and having my paddle break, which is why I go with ZRE

I just snapped the shaft of my wood Gillespie stand up paddle.  I was bracing against the soup (frontside) and I lost my balance and fell towards the paddle.  The paddle was stuck on both ends (the face of the wave held the blade, and my top hand had the handle), and my weight was transferred through my bottom hand to the shaft of the paddle and I felt the blade give way.  The loss of balance happened so quick I did not have time to let go of the paddle.  Bummer.

I'd like to repair the paddle to use as a backup/loaner paddle.  I'm sure others on this site have repaired broken paddle shafts and I was hoping someone might give me some hints.

Thanks

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 11:24:10 AM »
Uno tube rider...I dont know how you wood paddles guys do it..Apart from the beauty of em.If i had the talent to build one i might paddle with one...I have paddles with two wood paddles,The seem heavy thick heavy, and i would think easy to break..I have not broken a shaft of a carbon paddle.One blade broken  now repaired and used as a fishimg paddle.. Im sure you have paddled with carbon Yes ?..
I also like a smaller volume blade on my Kaialoa paddles..thin shaft......  need waves here......

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 12:29:52 PM »

I just snapped the shaft of my wood Gillespie stand up paddle.  I was bracing against the soup (frontside) and I lost my balance and fell towards the paddle.  The paddle was stuck on both ends (the face of the wave held the blade, and my top hand had the handle), and my weight was transferred through my bottom hand to the shaft of the paddle and I felt the blade give way.  The loss of balance happened so quick I did not have time to let go of the paddle.  Bummer.

I'd like to repair the paddle to use as a backup/loaner paddle.  I'm sure others on this site have repaired broken paddle shafts and I was hoping someone might give me some hints.

Thanks

Where on the shaft did it break? You might be able to make a hybrid from the pieces.
ZRE sells carbon paddle shafts.
http://www.zre.com/catalog/flexpaddleshaft-p-135.html?osCsid=4595759ff01566fb232bebb37f34796b

You could cut and reshape a section of the shaft at each end from the wooden shaftso that it insert into the carbon. I'd think you would need at least 6-8" inserted. Epoxy it in place and then fiberglass (overlap carbon and wood).

Alternatively you could simply try epoxying the break back together and then fiberglassing over that, maybe 8" each side of the break. You'ld probably have to glass it pretty heavy.

SuperDave...have you paddled a Malama? The one I tried at the showcase was only 35 oz. I know that is still heavier than a good carbon but it balanced beautifully and you hardly noticed the extra. I love my spanker but i'm trying to make some like Malama's. Not sure I'll get them that light though...I think he uses a little magic... ;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 12:32:51 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 12:45:47 PM »
Buy yourself a Kialoa paddle and find out what the best paddles feel like.. (IMO) ..and I don't think you'll ever go back to using wood..  :D

DJ

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 02:12:48 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  Stoneaxe, I'll see if I can locate a piece of carbon shaft or maybe just epoxy the thing.  I've got an Infinity Ottertail paddle as well (which I really like) so its not like I'm out of the water.  Like I said, I just want to salvage what I can rather than throwing it away.

DJ - I would like to pick up a Kialoa Methane but don't feel like dropping $300+ on a paddle right now.  I'll keep my eyes open and see if I can pick one up for a discount or maybe used.

I agree with Shawn on the ZREs - very good paddles.  I used one for canoe paddling (still have it) and beat the sh*t out of it, including some use as a steering blade in a six man, and the darn thing refused to break.  I was very impressed.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 06:15:08 AM »
Well I have one made and three more in the process and I am going out of town today to get some  more wood.  So when the weather cooperates I be ready with my woody. I pretty much surf a beach break for my paddling.

I do have 2 carbon paddles. A kialoa and a werner.  Of those I like the werner best as it does not flutter when pulled. 

I like wood paddles for the weight, look and feel.  The shafts on my carbon paddles are to skinny for me, but I am the kind of guy who still uses the full diameter boom instead of the skinny boom in wind surfing.  I can choose either but I like the wood  better. 

I will post some pictures soon.

1paddle2paddle I would recommend not fixing it unless it is an easy repair.  We put a lot of torque on the shaft.  The way I broke mine would have taken a center section and it was easier to build a new shaft and paddle. I would keep your old paddle to use as a guide for a new paddle or if the shaft is long enough make a short paddle out of it.

The reason I am making my own paddle is because I enjoy woodworking and have a bunch of tools.  My first paddle cost an extra thousand + dollars in tools.  I bought a thickness planer, band saw, clamps and a 7 inch angle grinder and a tenon cutter.  But I already have table saw, jointer, drill press, routers, files, skil 100 planer, various sanding machines,  work  benches, lights, several large tool boxes full of stuff, and the space.

My first paddle has a 4 stringer oval shaft 1 1/2 x 2 and a tear drop blade with two reverse t=bands and a foot plate.  I am now experimenting with the stringers and wood types to come up with something strong and  flexible. I am going to try spruce for the shafts.  If the spruce works out I have a huge spruce out back on the ground that a storm took out last year.  Yes it was scary when it fell.  I heard the tree snap as a hundred mph gust struck and I said to my wife   RUN!!  Luckily it fell with the wind away from the house.  I may have a cheap wood source. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 07:07:30 AM »
1paddle2paddle I would recommend not fixing it unless it is an easy repair.  We put a lot of torque on the shaft.  The way I broke mine would have taken a center section and it was easier to build a new shaft and paddle. I would keep your old paddle to use as a guide for a new paddle or if the shaft is long enough make a short paddle out of it.

The reason I am making my own paddle is because I enjoy woodworking and have a bunch of tools.  My first paddle cost an extra thousand + dollars in tools.  I bought a thickness planer, band saw, clamps and a 7 inch angle grinder and a tenon cutter.  But I already have table saw, jointer, drill press, routers, files, skil 100 planer, various sanding machines,  work  benches, lights, several large tool boxes full of stuff, and the space.

My first paddle has a 4 stringer oval shaft 1 1/2 x 2 and a tear drop blade with two reverse t=bands and a foot plate.  I am now experimenting with the stringers and wood types to come up with something strong and  flexible. I am going to try spruce for the shafts.  If the spruce works out I have a huge spruce out back on the ground that a storm took out last year.  Yes it was scary when it fell.  I heard the tree snap as a hundred mph gust struck and I said to my wife   RUN!!  Luckily it fell with the wind away from the house.  I may have a cheap wood source. 

Your suggestion for a short paddle may be the best choice...thats what I did when I snapped #4.  http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=737.0 I left it on Maui and I was happy to see that PonoBill brought it to the Big Brother Big Sister event and no doubt his grandkids will have some fun with it so it is getting some use.

Jealous of your tool setup and the space....I have 1/2 the tools and they are jammed into a little 12 x 10 shed. Winter makes it tough to get any work done. I have a bunch of wood cut and ready to go but an unheated shed and sub-freezing temps have everything on hold. I do most of my work outside when the weather gets nice.

Spruce is a reasonably good choice for part of your shafts. Most species have a relatively high strength for their low weight. Do you have a riser block and a wood slicer blade on your band saw? Helps to have a good resaw jig and 1.5 hp is about minimum for rolling your own lumber too.

Here's a good timber list with density and strengths listed. I think the best strategy is to use a relatively high MOR MOE wood for a center stringer in the shaft and then a low density wood with a reasonable MOR MOE (cedar, pine, spruce, fir) for the rest
http://www.worldwideflood.com/ark/wood/timber_list.htm
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 07:14:04 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 02:29:21 PM »
I do have 2 carbon paddles. A kialoa and a werner.  Of those I like the werner best as it does not flutter when pulled. 
I'm going with my buddy's suggestion of just sticking with the Infinity paddle until such time as it snaps, then go out an buy another paddle.  I'm interested in the Werner Carve and may give that a try.

heave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 03:23:19 PM »
I snapped a carbon paddle today.  I have mixed emotions about the ordeal today.  I'm bummed that my paddle broke today and I have to fix it now, but I'm also grateful that it broke today.  Breaking it may have saved my life today.  You see, I had a freak accident today.  I fell on a big steep take-off today and I felt the paddle shaft hit the back of my neck hard when I hit the water .  Put it this way, I broke the paddle and not my neck today.             

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal