Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis noserider, first impressions!  (Read 47610 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy Lewis noserider, first impressions!
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2015, 11:07:37 AM »
   CBB: bring me a big honking ULI to hang out on at San O and you can spend all the time you want on my B&B.  actually, if jim's there, i can ride my laird, which i lent him.  love to get your further impressions and riding thoughts. 

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2015, 01:40:39 PM »
I got all kinds of ULIs to bring down so I will see you when we get some surf (which might be sooner than later). You should make a trip the Surfing Heritage Foundation next visit and check out their Blue Machine the other wild designs in the "What Box" exhibit:  http://www.surfingheritage.org
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2015, 03:29:07 PM »
   I need to get to that exhibit, if only to see the original Blue board.  But I'll love the rest of it, too, I'm sure.

I didn'ty make it to San O today but I heard it was pretty great.  Very long lines, 3-4' +.  instead, i did tourmaline first thing in the morning for four hours -- had a blast in small peeling stuff -- and went to Law St around 11am but the tide was too low and all i did was get hammered.  fun day, tho!

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2015, 09:49:27 AM »
Any more updates on the Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue (or any other noseriders)?
(I see you can still get a 2014 on sale)

You get that log dialed in Linter?
(love it or leave it?)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 10:03:11 AM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2015, 01:56:40 PM »
  could you post a link to where you can still get em on sale?

i don't have it totally dialed in but i can say it's the first board i've owned where the learning part is a pure eye-opening, daily joy.  due to the 50/50 rails, etc., you've got to ride it (or at least i do) almost always in the traditional style, so i spend my evenings looking at old school vids and my mornings trying to be monkey see, monkey do.  one wave today, i think my stall got the board's nose up about chin high.  mucho fun!
   at this point, i have no desire to ride anything else.  if anyone's looking for a purpose-driven noserider that rides like it's the 60s all over again, this is it.  ain't nothing else like it out there, near as i can tell.
   most folks, though, hate it.  one jimmy dealer i know, who sells a good number of jimmy boards, isn't even ordering one for this coming season.
    it's an aquired taste, I guess, and, brother, I have acquired it!

supthecreek

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2015, 02:10:49 PM »
linter.... anyone that tapes strips of lead to his board, is not going to be in the conga line with everyone else :)

I am stoked for you.... you found the right board and the right place, in the same year...  so glad you are digging it all. ;D ;D ;D

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2015, 02:30:10 PM »
You gonna buy another one, I thought you already had two
- east coast, west coast....oh, Florida?

How about riding bigger waves with it - what is the largest wave you rode
where you felt comfortable with it or that you think it would be fine in...
...in other words, is it just a small wave board or can you ride larger
waves on it?

Thanks,
Sub
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2015, 02:59:17 PM »
Gud on ya Erik. When will we see you at the avenues?  8)  8)  8)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 03:31:50 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2015, 04:38:27 PM »
be back at the aves in 3 weeks or less!

i don't know how it'd do in bigger waves, since i don't ride anything above 4'.  but at 4' and below, it rocks.  and has plenty of speed once you get it into trim.

StC: i flew to SD with lots of lead and bought more while i was here.  boxed it up and sent it home today, via USPS flat-rate box.  Cost $15.  Lady at the counter said if i'd had to pay by weight, it'd have been $75.  seems like i got the deal o' the century!

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2015, 03:42:15 AM »
Linter, I just skimmed this thread.  I think you may have been asking for the link to the Black and Blue machine sale, if so, here it is:  http://ridewithaloha.com/t/standup-paddleboards

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2015, 02:39:21 AM »
just a small update, now that i've ridden the BB for a few months.  mainly, i'd like to say that this is the only SUP i've ever owned where either it gets better or i get better on it almost every time i go out.  i've never had so much fun on a board.  whereas it is kinda single purpose, right now i'd say it's more multi than i originally thought.  you just have to ride it differently.  but any longboard stuff another SUP can do, this one can do it as well -- plus, it'll noseride better than any board out there and i have no problem stating that as a fact.  and i include the kings in this sweeping statement.

i recently wrote jimmy about my bb bliss.  as you might know, he doesn't often SUP himself or ride the BB hardly at all (he designed it for his brother) but here's what he wrote back:

"Dig this…….  I went paddling on my 10'1" Black and Blue Machine yesterday for about 3 hours.  I went over to this spot where I normally surf but I went pretty far down the beach to stay out of the way of the more serious stand up riders and the surfers.   The waves were a little junk where I was at but I finally found a few little knee high rights that I got some little nose rides on!!  I was stoked.  I ended up paddling down the beach to the main peak were I normally "lay down" surf at and there were only 3-4 guys out so I felt like it was OK if I paddled there.  I got some KILLER waves!!  Some nice nose rides and some WICKED cut backs which are almost as good a feeling as a nose ride!   So, that's my report!!  I DIG that board too!"

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2015, 08:50:02 AM »
just a small update, now that i've ridden the BB for a few months.  mainly, i'd like to say that this is the only SUP i've ever owned where either it gets better or i get better on it almost every time i go out.  i've never had so much fun on a board.  whereas it is kinda single purpose, right now i'd say it's more multi than i originally thought.  you just have to ride it differently.  but any longboard stuff another SUP can do, this one can do it as well -- plus, it'll noseride better than any board out there and i have no problem stating that as a fact.  and i include the kings in this sweeping statement.

i recently wrote jimmy about my bb bliss.  as you might know, he doesn't often SUP himself or ride the BB hardly at all (he designed it for his brother) but here's what he wrote back:

"Dig this…….  I went paddling on my 10'1" Black and Blue Machine yesterday for about 3 hours.  I went over to this spot where I normally surf but I went pretty far down the beach to stay out of the way of the more serious stand up riders and the surfers.   The waves were a little junk where I was at but I finally found a few little knee high rights that I got some little nose rides on!!  I was stoked.  I ended up paddling down the beach to the main peak were I normally "lay down" surf at and there were only 3-4 guys out so I felt like it was OK if I paddled there.  I got some KILLER waves!!  Some nice nose rides and some WICKED cut backs which are almost as good a feeling as a nose ride!   So, that's my report!!  I DIG that board too!"

Linter....how many nose riding boards have you tried just out of interest? It's great that you've found this board .....one if the guys over here in the UK rides the 9 6 and loves it....

Rogue Wave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Jimmy Lewis Canada
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2015, 10:12:57 AM »
Here's a photo of Jimmy "testing" the Black and Blue Machine.
Jimmy Lewis Canada

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2015, 12:01:07 PM »
  Great pic!  Thanks!

coldsup: let's see.  i've ridden a good number of board that are either noseriders or have been touted as having good to excellent noseriding abilities.  None of them are a match for the B&B.  Seriously.  Not even close.

i've ridden: starboard noserider, L41 noserider (custom), supig noserider (custom), 9-6 allwave, the all-around board that fanatic makes that i can't remember the name of, the wardog hammer, the starboard drive, starboard element, and more that my brain can no longer dredge up.

now, any of the boards i mentioned can noseride but none of them can take a shitty unskilled noserider and on its own make him very much better.  The B&B does this.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2015, 12:05:08 PM »
How does the B&B do with your cross stepping?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal