Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis noserider, first impressions!  (Read 47612 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy Lewis noserider, first impressions!
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2015, 04:12:07 PM »
Thanks, guys, and glad this stuff is of use.

As a footnote, the first half of this morning, I kept thinking the waves were too steep, so I kept taking off at an angle, which was okay but it didn't leave me positioned right for stalling and stepping up.  The second half, I decided no matter that I get pounded, i'm going to take off straight or fade and then stall, turn and step.  Well, turns out, the waves aren't as steep as i thought and i had plenty of time to drop down the face or fade.  It's a small realization but it sure made me happy this am.

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2015, 05:21:36 PM »
Wow, excellent video and written resources !

Even though I would never dare compare myself with these longboard gurus, just watching them clicked some circuits, which I hope stay lit until my next session.

Would definitely get the smaller, narrower JL noserider. Even if I need to prone or knee paddle it, sans oar.

In the meantime, watch and learn.

Thanks guys
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2015, 06:25:57 PM »
Hey Linter,

Don't know how I missed two pages of replies but if you are still in town I'd love to surf with you.  I'm hitting Dogpatch early before the southerly flow messes everything up.

Love the responses but forget the retro guys - Henry Ford is the master of the drop knee and you can see him in person SanO in action with his bionic knees if he's not in Mex or CR.

My favorite noseriding SUP is the ULI 9' Lopez with a wiki rail, 4" urethane fins and no concave.  Inflatables take the board to the head & body consequences out of the equation and let you take a lot more risks and you learn a lot more along the way.

Hope you're still enjoying this summer we call winter.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2015, 07:34:31 PM »
It's slow because the 50/50 rails suck into the water when paddling and wave face when surfing.  That's what nose concaves do, too - suck onto/into the water and provide the stability req'd to walk and hang digits.  They are slow and get sucked back up the face of the wave where they get held by the top of the wave, which is where nose rides occur - not at the bottom of the wave.  That's how logs work.  Example - Toots' board looks buried by the wave in the video.  He breaks it free to bottom turn by stepping way back on the tail - that's where the only rocker is... 

Contrast that with more performance oriented designs where the board planes above the water and the rail can be buried and top turns can be made.  Not doing any top turns on a log... 

The B&B is a stand up log.  I have a prone polyester JL nose rider.  I'm a kook and I can camp on the nose forever. 

JL is a great shaper, super nice guy. and insanely responsive to inquiries about his boards.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2015, 05:26:08 AM »
It's slow because the 50/50 rails suck into the water when paddling and wave face when surfing.  That's what nose concaves do, too - suck onto/into the water and provide the stability req'd to walk and hang digits.  They are slow and get sucked back up the face of the wave where they get held by the top of the wave, which is where nose rides occur - not at the bottom of the wave.  That's how logs work.  Example - Toots' board looks buried by the wave in the video.  He breaks it free to bottom turn by stepping way back on the tail - that's where the only rocker is... 

Okay, I've read Tom Wegener's explanation of why 50/50 rails work for this but yours is far clearer to me.  Finally, I have a clear sense of what's going on with those rails and why they do what they do.  Thanks!

Capo: Love to hang out.  Can't do san O today, Sat, but I will be there tomorrow, probably around 6:30, unless the wind forecast looks bad, in which case I'll skip it.  Will keep you posted.  Don't know if you know the SUP guy Jim who drives the way cool Corvair Greenbrier van, but I'm usually parked near him.

BigSlaveDave

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2015, 09:16:25 AM »

Contrast that with more performance oriented designs where the board planes above the water and the rail can be buried and top turns can be made.  Not doing any top turns on a log... 

The B&B is a stand up log.  I have a prone polyester JL nose rider.  I'm a kook and I can camp on the nose forever. 

JL is a great shaper, super nice guy. and insanely responsive to inquiries about his boards.

Thanks for this.  That exactly explains my problems with my Starboard Noserider.  Now I feel bad for badmouthing the board so much......it was my lack of longboarding experience, not the board.  I couldn't figure out why it was so slow.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2015, 10:31:44 AM »
BSD: What are the rails like toward the tail of the Starby, turned down or are they still 50/50?  I had that board for a split second and have been trashing it ever since -- like you, maybe wrongly.  i still think the thick nose is a problem.

Anyway, had a blast today at La Jolla Shores.  I'm still a kook on this thing, and it still takes me about 1 hr just to get warmed up.  But I got 2 more shout outs from the longboard crowd, so I must be doing something right.  Or maybe it's just the novelty of seeing someone on a SUP try to ride in the traditional style.  As you might surmise, the board is growing on me....

CapoBB: if the wind is the same tomorrow am, i'll probably do the shores again instead of san o.  it was blowing south this morning, chopping tourmaline the heck up, but the cove at la jolla seemed to offer protection from the wind.  in fact, it was pretty darned glassy out there.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2015, 10:50:23 AM »
I didn't bother going today when I saw that wind and tomorrow will be worse.  Maybe mid-week sometime?  I know that Corvair van - such a classic SanO vehicle.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2015, 04:49:01 PM »
So stoked for you Erik. Celebratory session when you get back.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2015, 04:52:48 PM »
So stoked for you Erik. Celebratory session when you get back.

Absolutely, Bob

Capo: quite possibly.  i am going to go to the shores tomorrow dawn, in the hopes that i'll get a repeat of today.  swell is supposed to be a bit bigger, which to me isn't good news, since all that means is more set waves that close out.  we shall see.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2015, 05:02:12 PM »
The soul arch sequence at 5:50 is museum quality art.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2015, 09:55:47 AM »
Hey Linter,

Its been a while, sounded like you were having a blast on it,
any update/more thoughts on the Black & Blue?

How far up on the nose have you been able to get?

What about turning from the tail, can you carve a turn,
or is it just pivot and noseride down the line?

I see you are looking into the Striker, maybe a more all
around board.

Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2015, 10:46:10 AM »
I have never been that curious about nose riding, but have wound up doing it twice by accident in surf stance on the nose.

Once, on the Red Paddle Mega with it's big flat patch, the board got jammed up going laterally. I tried to trim it faster by stepping forward, but it didn't budge and I was on the nose end for a few seconds in surf stance and surprised the back end wasn't popping up.

Once on the Vernor, again, jammed up going lateral, hit some kelp, over compensated, and wound up in surf stance on the nose end with the board stable for a few seconds. 

I guess the nose riders are made to purposely jam up on the waves to provide that stability.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2015, 11:18:06 AM »
Hey Linter,

Its been a while, sounded like you were having a blast on it,
any update/more thoughts on the Black & Blue?

How far up on the nose have you been able to get?

What about turning from the tail, can you carve a turn,
or is it just pivot and noseride down the line?

I see you are looking into the Striker, maybe a more all
around board.

Hey, Subber:
   I've had good days on the B&B and terrible days, especially when an off-shore wind gets above 10 knts and keeps me from dropping in.  Have I gotten at least 5 over again?  Hate to say it, but no.  In fact, my skill set has been declining at a pace rapido.  But that has nothing to do w/ the board and everything to do with increasingly faulty and stupid legs and feet.
   Only reason I'm looking at the Striker is, no matter what, I do need a better all-around board.  I've got an Allwave but I've never cottoned to it the way most folks have.  Probably because of all that noserocker, which the JL seems to have very little of.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2015, 12:33:44 PM »
I have never been that curious about nose riding, but have wound up doing it twice by accident in surf stance on the nose.

Once, on the Red Paddle Mega with it's big flat patch, the board got jammed up going laterally. I tried to trim it faster by stepping forward, but it didn't budge and I was on the nose end for a few seconds in surf stance and surprised the back end wasn't popping up.

Once on the Vernor, again, jammed up going lateral, hit some kelp, over compensated, and wound up in surf stance on the nose end with the board stable for a few seconds. 

I guess the nose riders are made to purposely jam up on the waves to provide that stability.

If you can get up on the first 3rd of a noserider in Parallel Stance,
its like you are riding a flying carpet - super fun!
at least for me.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal