Author Topic: Dealing with Shoulder injury and rotator cuff exercises  (Read 34796 times)

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dealing with Shoulder injury and rotator cuff exercises
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2017, 10:53:08 AM »
Good luck !

I am another person with a undiagnosed possible tear waiting to hear how it goes .  Still doing the PT / exercise route hoping it heals up .  Started in my right shoulder and healed up but my left is almost a year out with the pain  .   

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2017, 01:21:09 PM »
My surgeon told me a tear this long, there is no amount of exercise that will heal this up because the bone spur caused the tear in the first place "so the bone spur has got to go". Surgery is the only way since left un-repaired, the tear will eventually tear all the way through my rotator.

On another note, just after lunch the Physical Therapy department called me and my first session of PT is scheduled for Friday, March 31st (two days after surgery) and the first session is going to last one hour. I don't have a time yet but I'm hoping for the 10:00 am time slot. And as an added bonus, the physical therapist who worked with me on my left shoulder 15 years ago, he will working with me again on my right shoulder.

I already know what he will expect from me in PT and he already knows I'll give him what he expects from me in PT. The last time I was with him was 15 years ago. I did 3 months of PT work in 3 weeks of time. My plan is to do the exact same thing this time around. I'll see if the last 15 years has slowed me down any. My primary goal is to be taking my sup on it's first leisurely flat water cruise of 2017 on June 1st. My secondary goal is to be sup surfing on August 1st........or before.  ;)
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2017, 03:45:32 PM »
I've had three shoulder surgeries--two subacromial decompressions and one bone spur removal.  The spur removal was by far the easiest recovery (though I didn't have a long tear i my rotator to deal with).

Good luck with the surgery and recovery.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2017, 02:59:37 AM »
Today is the day for me. I'm up early. Will be leaving for the sports medicine surgery center in an hour from now. Surgery on me is scheduled for 8:30 am this morning. It is out patient surgery and if everything goes according to plan, I should be home by high noon with my right arm in a sling.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2017, 04:01:55 AM »
Good luck for today. Let us know how it goes.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2017, 04:46:28 AM »
Sounds like you're in good hands. You can always come here to dump any frustrations or pain stories in the coming months. For sure some of the sharp zoners will be able to get you smiling.

And maybe this september a tanker wake surf session could be on.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2017, 11:03:04 AM »
Wishing you a speedy recovery NW!

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2017, 01:55:06 PM »
Returned home at 11:45 am this morning.

The procedure encountered no problems. The tear was more severe since my MRI was done on March 3rd. Instead of a 75% tear, it was now at 90%. Before the surgery, they gave me a nerve block so my entire right arm, wrist, hand and fingers are totally numb right now. This numbness is supposed to last between 10 to 16 hours. The block is to kill the pain because the first 24 hours after this type of surgery is very painful so this is why the block was used.

When the block wears off, I've got lots of hydrocodone tablets. I should be able to use my right arm without the sling too. And I've got 8 cephalexin antibiotic tablets.

BTW, I'm typing this post with my left hand using only my left index finger and it is taking me a long time to type this post. About 30 minutes.

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2017, 02:13:40 PM »
Glad to hear it went well.

Those nerve blocks are gold!  I had my first without it and my second two with it.  Definitely feels really weird not feeling your arm, but it really helps that first day.  Keep on top of those pain killers for the first while!  ...not just to stay comfortable in the short term, but they'll help reduce the number of pathways that develop to transmit the pain--good for the medium and maybe even long term.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2017, 05:48:58 PM »
My surgeon's nurse called me at 6:00 pm this evening and told me the nerve block given to me should last for 24 hours and then start to wear off. At bedtime tonight, she wants me to take one hydrocodone tablet when I go to sleep tonight just in case the nerve block starts to wear off earlier than expected. I will take one hydrocodone tablet when I wake up in the morning also.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2017, 06:33:19 PM »
Narcotic meds give me some pretty freaky dreams, so sleep well!

Mind you, they make me feel generally unwell as well, and rather snappish, so maybe I'm just not very tolerant of them.

99% of the world's use of hydrocodone happens in the US, I'm told. You get all the good stuff over there.

Hope you normally sleep on your back. Usually much easier with neck or shoulder injuries.

I had a cervical radiculopathy a while back. Excruciating pain. The only relief I could get was sitting up with my arm above my head. I was going shopping, walking around with my hand over my head, with people staring at me :) I hardly slept at all for the first 2 weeks. I was starting to go a bit nuts from the sleep deprivation. It seemed like the pain was never going to stop. But it did pass eventually, and the narcotics did provide a bit of relief, even if I did find myself saving them for only the very worst times.

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2017, 06:34:20 PM »
At bedtime tonight, she wants me to take one hydrocodone tablet when I go to sleep tonight just in case the nerve block starts to wear off earlier than expected. I will take one hydrocodone tablet when I wake up in the morning also.

Tip: if you are popping hydrocodone over the next week or so, go grab a big container of prune juice!

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2017, 08:07:55 PM »
@surfafrica

Everyone's system is different. Hydrocodone does not give me constipation.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2017, 09:15:30 PM »
Don't worry about it too much. It's useful to stay a bit ahead of the pain, but wean yourself as soon as you can. I've had multiple shoulder surgeries, both sides. I generally only take the narcotics for a day or two after the nerve block goes away. Open surgery is more painful, but not intolerable. Relax, watch some movies. I generally find once I'm off the narcotics that basic OTC pain meds and a glass of scotch are equally useful. You'll have a little higher level of baseline pain, but nothing an active person can't handle. I think the heavy meds are for cubicle weenies. If you're used to pushing your body, a little convalescent pain is in the ballpark of normal. You can choose between feeling seriously fuzzy but less pain, or knowing where your feet are with a little bit more discomfort. I like to keep track of my appendages, but YMMV.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2017, 09:44:22 PM »
Good to hear you are back home now Nightwing after the surgery. Looking forward to hearing how the rehab goes. I've always found a good PT to be my most important person in any successful rehab
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal