Author Topic: Dealing with Shoulder injury and rotator cuff exercises  (Read 34789 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with Shoulder injury and rotator cuff exercises
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2017, 09:06:14 PM »
@PonoBill

Thanks for your comments. Since my surgery is scheduled for March 29th, I'll know "how things went surgery wise" after I wake up in the recovery room and what to expect when my OS sees me for my post follow up appointment in April.

I'm a good patient. If my OS says I can't paddle for 6-9 months, then I won't. This is the long and short of it. I'll just cry in my whiskey if I get this bit of extremely bad news.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2017, 11:14:20 PM »
Make sure you ask for complete instructions. It's surprising how often some really important information gets forgotten. You need to know how soon you can take a shower, how soon you can take your arm out of the sling.. You should ask for advice on how to know you are pushing too hard. Most patients don't push at all. Doctors and PAs are used to having to encourage people to move--they don't get many people that want to work through any pain at all. They all know the standards of care, it's not that they can't tell you the right stuff, it's mostly that they don't bump up against people who are crazy to get back to serious exercise.

I showered before I should have after rotator cuff surgery about 15 years ago. Three days later I was back in the hospital with a major infection. Five surgeries to take out all the infected tissue and all the work the doctor had done. Two weeks later I left the hospital wearing a pump that pushed heavy duty antibiotics into a pic line that led to my aorta. I got to wear it for five weeks, becoming incoherent when the pump ran.

So yeah, my advice is--be careful, ask questions, be conservative, do what the doc tells you, and watch for any signs of infection. Redness beyond the surgical site, increasing pain, fever, hotness in the area. If you think you might have a problem, don't hesitate to see your doctor.

I gave Mark Raaphorst this advice when he had a severed long biceps tendon repaired. I think it might have saved his life when he got a serious infection.  that might be too dramatic, but I wish I had known what to expect, my infection might have been caugt early, or might not have happend at all.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2017, 11:52:40 PM »
This is what a tear can look like.  Be careful with the rehab.  Others that have shoulder problems should probs reduce use right away.  SUP overuse can exacerbate and inflame this area very quickly.  Hopefully your surgery will go well.  At least you know your surgeon.

Know a few peeps that have recovered from this -> as well as many with knee and hip replacements.  Seems to be much more prevalent as we age.  One guy we know was told by his surgeon that he may have to re-break his knee replacement because he cannot bend his leg even 70 degrees.  He is major pissed about that.

The exercises shown in the vids are good.  Plus stretching and yoga help your range of motion.  Moderation is always good as we progress in old age.
These pics bum me out.  Not sure I want to see what it looks like.  Do they do necks?

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2017, 06:12:38 AM »
@headmount

My orthopedic surgeon; besides doing shoulder surgery, specializes in joint replacement, spine (which includes necks), hand, wrist, elbows and foot & ankle. Basically; you name it, he repairs it.

If you're having neck issues, just do some research like I did 15 years ago (2002) and you'll find a good one. How I found mine; since professional football is a violent sport with lots of injuries to players bodies, I called (at that time) the NFL Houston Texans PR department to find out what orthopedic physicians the Texans used surgery wise to treat their professional football players since these players have million dollar contracts so I knew the Texans would have very good surgeons. My orthopedic surgeon's name came up during my phone call conversation and since his practice is located 25 miles from me, I called his office, found out he took my medical insurance and I made an appointment to see what he could do with my left shoulder at that time in 2002. Fast forward to today in 2017, now he is going to operate on my right shoulder since he still takes my same medical insurance.

BTW, my orthopedic surgeon, his sports medicine training was performed with the Houston Oilers physicians before the Oilers majority owner (the late Bud Adams) moved the Oilers to Tennessee in 1997 and were renamed the Tennessee Titans. Of course, since Houston is a large city population wise with a large TV market area for sports, Houston did get another NFL franchise in 2002 and they are now named the Houston Texans. I'm just lucky he never moved his practice to Tennessee.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

corrego

• Malibu Status
  • Ni pena ni miedo
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2017, 08:08:10 AM »
this simple exercise is great for shoulder injuries:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfJA9da0EBY

it works for me!

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2017, 09:15:10 AM »
I've done some similar exercises and have heard them referred to "flossing the shoulder".

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2017, 09:46:28 AM »
@headmount

My orthopedic surgeon; besides doing shoulder surgery, specializes in joint replacement, spine (which includes necks), hand, wrist, elbows and foot & ankle. Basically; you name it, he repairs it.

If you're having neck issues, just do some research like I did 15 years ago (2002) and you'll find a good one. How I found mine; since professional football is a violent sport with lots of injuries to players bodies, I called (at that time) the NFL Houston Texans PR department to find out what orthopedic physicians the Texans used surgery wise to treat their professional football players since these players have million dollar contracts so I knew the Texans would have very good surgeons. My orthopedic surgeon's name came up during my phone call conversation and since his practice is located 25 miles from me, I called his office, found out he took my medical insurance and I made an appointment to see what he could do with my left shoulder at that time in 2002. Fast forward to today in 2017, now he is going to operate on my right shoulder since he still takes my same medical insurance.

BTW, my orthopedic surgeon, his sports medicine training was performed with the Houston Oilers physicians before the Oilers majority owner (the late Bud Adams) moved the Oilers to Tennessee in 1997 and were renamed the Tennessee Titans. Of course, since Houston is a large city population wise with a large TV market area for sports, Houston did get another NFL franchise in 2002 and they are now named the Houston Texans. I'm just lucky he never moved his practice to Tennessee.
Great point and tip.  Thanks

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2017, 10:10:57 AM »
Good for you. When it comes to something hugely complex, like a shoulder joint, you want the best surgeon you can find.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2017, 10:15:19 AM »
Good for you. When it comes to something hugely complex, like a shoulder joint, you want the best surgeon you can find.

How can you use 'hugely' with a straight face?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2017, 10:30:07 AM »
Hugely is still fine, it's yougely that's been damaged.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2017, 01:38:26 PM »
Once my surgeon opens up my right shoulder and repairs the rotator tear; since I know my surgeon well, I know he'll also look at everything in the there and if anything else needs repairing, he'll repair it then too.

I'm also sure he'll instruct my physical therapist on what therapy exercises he'll want me to do. I'm hoping my physical therapist I had 15 years ago is still in business and if so, I'll be going to him for my right shoulder recovery therapy.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2017, 02:33:04 PM »
I know a lot of swimmers who've had to have rotator cuff surgery after years of crawl stroke, especially if their technique is off.  The most recent was a guy on my team who was already getting prepped at the hospital, when his surgeon had to cancel at the last second due to illness.  They told him the good news was they had a doctor who could fill in, although he was now a gynecologist, and hadn't done any recent shoulder operations.  Since he was already prepped, my friend decided to go ahead, although he had some trepidation.  Later I asked him how it went, and he said not only did the doctor do a fantastic job, he didn't even leave an incision scar, because he did the whole surgery through his ear canal.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 02:36:40 PM by pdxmike »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2017, 07:19:30 PM »
Ok, you got both hands in? Now clap.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2017, 10:38:48 AM »
I did all my pre-op lab work earlier this morning (blood work, EKG, blood pressure, height, weight, etc). Everything looked good so my GP faxed all the results to my OS.

My surgery is set two weeks from today (29th). I see my OS once more on the 23rd and he'll go over my lab results and then get down to the nitty gritty and explain in detail how the surgery will go.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2017, 10:39:59 AM »
Saw my orthopedic surgeon this morning at my 10:00 am appointment time. Went over the entire procedure and I went with the long cut (open surgery) instead of arthroscopic surgery. This way my surgeon can see the entire joint. My MRI showed a tear which is three quarters through the rotator. The tear is not where it is attached to the bone so that is a bit of good news. My bone x-ray showed the tear was caused by a hooked bone spur at the end of my clavicle which started the tear and once the tear started tearing, it just kept tearing to where it is now.

So the spur will be shaved off and the rotator will be repaired. I did ask about using my sup for leisurely flat water cruising and was told that would be okay around June 1st. I then asked about sup surfing waves and my surgeon said "maybe" by August 1st,but no guarantee for that date. I'm "guessing" he will want to see me during the last week of July and check the shoulder out with various exercises to see whether the shoulder can handle this type of activity.

My surgery is scheduled for (Wednesday) March 29th. I have to be at the surgery center by 7:00 am and my surgery is schedule to start at 8:30 am. I will be leaving the surgery center with my right arm in some sort of sling. Today my surgeon wrote a prescription (to be taken after surgery) for 3 medications and I will pick them up tonight after 6:00 pm at my local pharmacy.

Looks like I'm all set.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal