Author Topic: Any other incidents?  (Read 9560 times)

HPWA Jack

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Any other incidents?
« on: February 01, 2015, 01:43:17 AM »
Ive been off the board since November.  Pretty foggy around here in winter, so I have been off my paddleboards too.

The thread on the kid who drown with his PFD on his board is deeply disturbing to me.  I do have an explanation.  I might even be able to get access to the report.  There is something called a gasp reflex.  Don't know if any of you remember gulping water the first few times you fell in the surf.  A disorienting fall into any water can cause a person to gulp, instead of hold your breath and blow out your nose.  As watermen and women we do it wihtout thinking anymore.

It is hard to get a beginner to do it, but there is a traing exercise.  Any sit inside kayaker of any training will tell you to perform a self rescue drill.  With a SUP, you throw your paddle and fall backwards.  Don't gulp air and realize how far the thing goes without a leash.  The hard part is to get newbies to wear a vest until they prove that they can conduct themselves in a self rescue drill.

The post about being fined is interesting.  A racing guy I know in San Rafael has a cop just looking for him to get him again.  I met a girl who got arrested, like I did, for not complying to the authority of the officer.  I met a kayaker who got a $ 1000 ticket for no whistle in Stockton, he must have really pissed off the cop.  Anyone been ticketed in Southern Ca recently?

Anyone have any comments about the BoP and the PFD requirement?  I missed the race, but I heard a few comments.  These comments and observations need to be collected and sent to DC while the staff at USCG HQ decides if they can hide from the obvious truth about paddleboards not being anything like boats for safety requirements.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Any other incidents?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 08:23:50 AM »
I launch at the beach next to the Harbor Patrol in Newport Beach.  So, we frequently see each other.  I wave and they wave back. 
I stopped wearing a belt pfd. when I met a mother who was paddling with her young son, without any pfd. or leash.  She said her son is a good swimmer and the Harbor Patrol passes by all the time and never says anything.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any other incidents?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 02:22:42 PM »
That's good to know, Steve.  On the occasional times I paddle in Newport Harbor, I either wear my belt PFD, or stick a regular PFD under the bungies of my big board.  All just to avoid a ticket.  Maybe I won't bother now. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal